PCa LED Flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jester1226

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I bought a PCa LED (6aa) last year and went to Curacao with it. At no time did it flood then or at anytime
thereafter. This past week it stopped working while I was using it outside my house. Took it to the diveshop
and was told there were salt crystals around the LED. How is this possible if it never flooded? Another thing
was my trip to Curacao was last Thanksgiving, why so long to go bad? It has only been in the water once since
then and that was 2 months ago in freshwater. I love the power of this little light, but I am now holding back
replacing it with a new one due to the fear of this happening again. Is this a known issue or just an isolated incident?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Perhaps the leak was at the lens or switch rather than at the battery compartment. You might want to try dealing directly with Ikelite on this as your dive shop does not sound like it wants to help.

Using a toothpick or other non-metallic dull object, carefully remove the main o-ring in the lite head and make sure it is clean and free of hair, sand, or other debris. Clean the o-ring and o-ring channel with a soft lint-free cloth. Lightly lubricate the o-ring using Ikelite lubricant; reinstall on the lite head.
Also, make sure the batteries are not venting/leaking and causing corrosion inside the lite.
If your problem persists, please send the lite to Ikelite Service for evaluation.

Include a brief letter of explanation, or this thread with full contact information, and send to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn. Service Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.
Indpls., IN 46208

Please include your name, complete return address, email, phone number, and your stated problem or service request. Normal service completion time is 2-3 weeks.

Regards,

I will try this when I get home later, thank you. Also, I have never had any battery leaking/corrosion problems.

I am not sure what is is about Curacao, but you fared far better than I did. My PCa just fell apart on my June trip to Curacao.

I bought a new PCa, actually two, before my trip to Curacao. Put one in my BC and one in my son's BC.

I took mine out once early on in the trip and it worked fine.

A few days later I looked for it and it came out in pieces. Somehow it came apart in my BC. The trash Gods now own that one.

I am really not sure what happened or how that happened. The top just came off. Looked like a poor design to me, but what do I know.

I am a big Ikelite underwater camera and strobe person. Not at all on the lights. I do not plan on replacing the light with another Ikelite. I'll find another.

I certainly can't say it is their fault, but I am not hard on lights, or anything else.

Must be the design is not the best one for me.

Last edited:
The PC Lite design is time tested and reliable. In both situations, it sounds like the White Collar Lock Button was either not fully engaged, or it was moved during transit which might have allowed the Black Collar to release, resulting in the Lite head coming off the body. Remember, when changing the batteries, the Black Collar must be pushed all the way back in until it stops and the White Collar Lock Button then clicks into the down position when the lite head is facing up.

Ikelite will be glad to evaluate any product not functioning or performing as designed and repair or replace as necessary.

Regards,

Here is our Service Dept. address again. You do not need an R/A.

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn. Service Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.
Indpls., IN 46208

Regards,

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Brett.

Honestly, I bought my light new and immediately put it in my BC. I will admit that I did not check the White Collar Lock Button when it was new nor did I check it before each dive. It was just sitting in my BC.

Unfortunately I can't return it because I offered it to the trash Gods in Curacao. I figured there was not much use sending back a light that was in pieces. Mine was such a mess, I could not even put it back together. I figured user error, which I still assume is true.

I will admit that assuming the White Collar Lock Button came undone while sitting in my BC, I am not the person for that design. My mistake was not checking it before each dive. I used it once and the next time I looked for it, it came out of my BC in pieces.

If someone ever hands me one to use on a dive, I now know what to check beforehand to avoid the same fate.

It just goes to show that no matter how well you design something, there are folks like me that can make a mess out of it.

Thanks again for the explanation.

I should note that I had the PCa LED version, but I doubt that makes a difference in what Brett said. I assume the designs are the same.

Last edited:
If that were the case in my situation, wouldn't I have had a flood and ruined my batteries? This did not happen, and I still am using the exact same batteries (rechargeable).

jester1226,

In your case, although you seem certain there was no leak, dried saltwater would leave the crystals you described. A cut in the main or switch o-rings, sand, or hair may have allowed a few drops in at some point. Also, a mould knit line or scratch on a sealing surface could also cause a minor leak. If possible, the Lite should be sent to Ikelite for evaluation.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom