Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: +4 close-up lens question

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

+4 close-up lens question

I have a question about the use/recommendation of +4 close-up lens' in Ikelite's lens port guide, as I'm a little new to SLR photography and optics.

I have the Nikon 18-105mm VR lens, and the recommended +4 close-up lens. I know these allow the lens to focus closer than without it, and allow it to focus in front of the 8" dome (which I have), but when using the +4 on dry land the lens can't focus at infinity at full 105mm zoom; is this a drawback of using this lens/+4 diopter combo, or is this somehow solved when the lens is brought underwater? Thanks for the help.

Equipment Manufacturer

Has not set a "status"

Marty,

The optics change underwater, so you should remove the +4 diopter for land use.

The purpose of the +4 diopter underwater is to allow lenses to focus down to 12" in order to create an apparent image of your subject on the dome. Lenses that normally focus to less than 12" do not need the diopter in order to obtain focus behind the dome underwater. The minimum focusing distance on your lens is 1.48', so a +4 diopter must be used underwater behind your dome.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikelite Staff View Post
    Marty,

The optics change underwater, so you should remove the +4 diopter for land use.

The purpose of the +4 diopter underwater is to allow lenses to focus down to 12" in order to create an apparent image of your subject on the dome. Lenses that normally focus to less than 12" do not need the diopter in order to obtain focus behind the dome underwater. The minimum focusing distance on your lens is 1.48', so a +4 diopter must be used underwater behind your dome.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite
    Thanks very much, that clears it up somewhat. So you're saying that because of this "apparent image" behind the dome, the lens is able to focus to infinity with the +4 at full zoom underwater?

Registered

is wondering where the
    lions are.

Dives
    200 - 499
    What I think Ike Staff is trying to say is .... without the +4 the lens will only focus on something 1.48 FEET from the image sensor and therefore can not focus on the image created on the dome glass (in reality, the camera is taking a picture of the back side of the dome, not of the subject itself) at a distance considerably closer to the image sensor than 1.48 feet. Using the +4 allows the camera to focus on that image created on the dome glass and therefore gives you a clear in-focus image. Out of the water and out from behind that marvelous dome, you have to remove the +4 to allow the camera to focus on the actual subject, not its artificial image) at its normal focusing distance. Trust me .... it works!! Hopefully I've been able to address your questions ...??

Craig.

Equipment Manufacturer

Has not set a "status"

Well stated Craig. I will add that in some cases you can lose the telephoto end of your lens underwater behind the dome. This occurs because when you zoom out, the minimum focusing distance moves away from the image sensor slightly and beyond the point where a virtual image can be created on the dome. If this happens, the camera will simply struggle to get a focus lock.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikelite Staff View Post
    Well stated Craig. I will add that in some cases you can lose the telephoto end of your lens underwater behind the dome. This occurs because when you zoom out, the minimum focusing distance moves away from the image sensor slightly and beyond the point where a virtual image can be created on the dome. If this happens, the camera will simply struggle to get a focus lock.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite
    Thanks very much to you both, this helps a lot.