Crack in Canon 7D housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nishan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My Canon 7D housing (purchased July 2011) has a crack near the mode control switch on the top (picture attached). No idea how it developed. Notice it early 2013 but have used it since without any problems. However noticed some water droplets inside the housing on my last Maldives trip and have not used it since. Is this something that can be repaired or would I need to replace the main housing body? I am based in Sri Lanka so shipping back and forth to the US can be quite a cost and hassle, so if possible would like to get some idea before I send it to Ikelite for inspection.

Also, my old Canon 350D housing has a similar crack and damaged button on the back panel. Was wondering if it could be repaired considering that the model may now be out of production. I don't use it much but would be great if I can have it as a back up.

7D housing.jpg

Cheers,

Nishan

My Canon 7D housing (purchased July 2011) has a crack near the mode control switch on the top (picture attached). No idea how it developed. Notice it early 2013 but have used it since without any problems. However noticed some water droplets inside the housing on my last Maldives trip and have not used it since. Is this something that can be repaired or would I need to replace the main housing body? I am based in Sri Lanka so shipping back and forth to the US can be quite a cost and hassle, so if possible would like to get some idea before I send it to Ikelite for inspection.

Also, my old Canon 350D housing has a similar crack and damaged button on the back panel. Was wondering if it could be repaired considering that the model may now be out of production. I don't use it much but would be great if I can have it as a back up.

View attachment 172008

Cheers,

Nishan

Nishan,

I would not recommend diving with either housing again until they are repaired. You run a risk of damaging your camera and lens.

Cracked polycarbonate is not repairable and should be replaced. Normal service time is usually 2 weeks from receipt of your equipment. A service technician will contact you once the housings have been evaluated and estimated. Please include a copy of this thread or a cover letter including work to be performed and your contact information. Send the housings to the following address:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attention Service Department
50 West 33rd St.,
Indianapolis, IN 46208 USA

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the quick response. Just a couple of questions.

1. If the polycarbonate has to be replaced does that mean replacing the entire housing or at least the entire front part of the housing, and if so would you be able to indicate an approximate cost?
2. Can I just send the damaged components (front body for 7D housing and back panel for 350D housing) or do I need to send the entire housing.

Thanks,

Nishan

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the quick response. Just a couple of questions.

1. If the polycarbonate has to be replaced does that mean replacing the entire housing or at least the entire front part of the housing, and if so would you be able to indicate an approximate cost?
2. Can I just send the damaged components (front body for 7D housing and back panel for 350D housing) or do I need to send the entire housing.

Thanks,

Nishan

Nishan,

1 & 2: To repair the cracked area of the 7D housing would involve replacing just the front case and performing a complete service on the unit. The cost for the replacement case with a complete service is $125.00. In order to complete the service and test the controls on the housing, it would be best to send both the front and back portions of the housing in for repair. This will allow us to test everything as a complete system ensuring optimal performance and water-tightness. The 350D housing would also require both the front and rear sections to be returned for repair, with the replacement back and full service cost of $125.00.

Send the housings to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attention: Service Department
50 West 33rd St.,
Indianapolis, IN 46208

Service time is approximately 2 weeks.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Thanks Brett! I will send the housings soon. Just wanted to make sure it was worth sending them in and that the repairs would not cost a huge amount. Happy to know the outlook is fairly positive!

Cheers,

Nishan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom