DS51 battery compartment flood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOFME

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just flooded my battery compartment. I'm not 100% how, I suspect it wasn't tight enough (I installed new batteries just before the dive, I did ensure the seal was clear of debris and the cap was oriented correctly. The strobe didn't take any hits or bumps). I pulled the batteries and flushed with fresh water. Returned home a washed with alcohol. Aside from sending it back to you guys is there anything else I should do? I still have the receipt (nocturnal lights inc. via Shooting Underwater, via Amazon), original packing. I am currently stationed in Okinawa Japan and have an APO mailing address. Will this be a problem?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

You have not said if the strobe works. The battery compartment is completely sealed from the electronics of the strobe, for just an event. I've flooded mine and not had an issue.

I didn't check to see if it works or not. I strictly followed ikelite's recommendations per the user manual. Are you suggesting that I may not have to send the strobe in at all?

That is certainly your choice. I never sent mine back after a flood - the strobe still worked and functioned normally. That was my situation..

I'll probably wait for ikelite to give guidance. Its Sunday evening their time now, so hopefully tomorrow they'll see this or the email I sent. Fingers crossed! And thank you for your input!

I flooded one once and it kept shooting just fine even as it leaked battery acid. Everything would have been fine but the acid destroyed the contacts...ikelite put in new contacts for a small fee. If your contacts are intact then you probably don't have to send it back.

I just flooded my battery compartment...

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Just wondering - salt water or fresh water?

There's a huge difference in the end result depending on the flood. I've flooded HID battery canisters in fresh water (Alberta mountain lakes) without any ill effect after careful drying. Same with other battery compartments.

But salt water floods are horrible. I had to totally rebuild a battery canister after a single small flood (switch, battery and charging circuit all toast).

I just wonder what a salt water flood would do to the connectors in the DS51, especially if it were turned on at the time.

I don't know your exact situation but i wanted to make you aware that ikelite makes a clear battery door so that it is easier to determine that the o-ring is sealed. The previous one were grey and not translucent.

Just wondering - salt water or fresh water?

There's a huge difference in the end result depending on the flood. I've flooded HID battery canisters in fresh water (Alberta mountain lakes) without any ill effect after careful drying. Same with other battery compartments.

But salt water floods are horrible. I had to totally rebuild a battery canister after a single small flood (switch, battery and charging circuit all toast).

I just wonder what a salt water flood would do to the connectors in the DS51, especially if it were turned on at the time.

sunnyboy,

The strobe bulkhead is mostly (but not always) waterproof in that the rubber grommet that holds the conductive pins & receptacles acts as a secondary or backup seal against a flood. The bulkhead can be cleaned with a Q tip and The Works to remove any corrosion from the pins and receptacles. We do not guarantee the bulkhead to be waterproof when a cord or a metal bulkhead cap is not connected. The plastic cord protectors are not waterproof. On newer strobes, there is not any high voltage present on the bulkhead pins, so a flood is usually not catastrophic until it gets into the main body itself.

If the DS-51 strobe battery compartment floods, the battery door will need to be replaced if it is cracked, and the battery compartment circuit board will need to be replaced. The battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the strobe, so if the battery compartment floods, the rest of the strobe will usually be fine. If salt water floods the battery compartment with metal hydride batteries installed, it may draw enough current to heat up the body and cause some damage but that does normally not happen.

The best thing option in the event of a flood, is to send it in for a free evaluation and estimate.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Back
Top Bottom