DS-160 Battery pack connection breaking off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bas Harts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
6 months ago I had the battery connection breaking on one of my DS 160 strobes, which made the strobe useless until fixed and flooded the battery.

Now today I had the same thing happening with my back up strobe. Strobe useless...... Battery flooded.......

Is this a common thing? What is causing this? What can I do to make sure this doesnt happen again?

Fixing the strobes isnt easy fro me.

I have to get them from Curacao to the USA and after repair back to Curacao....... Its not only the money it will cost me (Fixing two strobes AND replacing two battery packs) its the freaking time :(

Attachments

• IMG_5934.JPG
    IMG_5934.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5933.JPG
    IMG_5933.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 88
6 months ago I had the battery connection breaking on one of my DS 160 strobes, which made the strobe useless until fixed and flooded the battery.

Now today I had the same thing happening with my back up strobe. Strobe useless...... Battery flooded.......

Is this a common thing? What is causing this? What can I do to make sure this doesnt happen again?

Fixing the strobes isnt easy fro me.

I have to get them from Curacao to the USA and after repair back to Curacao....... Its not only the money it will cost me (Fixing two strobes AND replacing two battery packs) its the freaking time :(

Bas Harts,

You will need to send the strobes in to Ikelite Service for repair. We can expedite the repair for you within 2 weeks.

Possible causes of failure could include: age of battery packs, solvents or cleaners used on strobe body, improper installation of a replacement toggle latch.

Our service techs will evaluate the strobe bodies and contact you before repairing. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Thanks for the reply!!

Can you please describe how a toggle latch can be replaced improper? We had one replaced and i wonder if this is the cause and i dont want it to happen again.

Bas

Thanks for the reply!!

Can you please describe how a toggle latch can be replaced improper? We had one replaced and i wonder if this is the cause and i dont want it to happen again.

Bas

Bas,

The Ikelite service dept. told me that your problem could occur if the strobe body was made before 2006. The replacement toggle could put too much stress on the strobe body lockdown point, causing the failure. Strobe bodies made in 2006 and newer should be fine with the replacement toggle.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Again thanks for the reply.

The toggles on the battery pack were replaced under warranty (a long time ago). If the strobes are from before 2006 and broke because of this who will pay for the repair? and what about the two battery packs i maybe lost because of this?

Atm the strobes are back in the states. An ikelite dealer who happened to be on vacation here took them back to the states and will ship them to you shortly.

Thanks.

Bas

Again thanks for the reply.

The toggles on the battery pack were replaced under warranty (a long time ago). If the strobes are from before 2006 and broke because of this who will pay for the repair? and what about the two battery packs i maybe lost because of this?

Atm the strobes are back in the states. An ikelite dealer who happened to be on vacation here took them back to the states and will ship them to you shortly.

Thanks.

Bas

Thanks Bas,

Our Service Dept. will look them over and contact you.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom