Questions about my used ikelite housing for my Canon 5d Mark 3 i just got.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

megacesos

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I am a land photographer, but i have some ideas about some photoshoots underwater. I tried creating a type of tank/housing with plywood, mirrors and plexy glass so that i wont have to get my camera on the water. Lets just say that i learned a lot about buoyancy.

I did not wanted to spend 200 dollars on a zip lock bag to cover my camera. So i been waiting and saving for an actual underwater housing. So, i went to ebay, and one year later found a great deal on a housing ($750). This ikelite, as per the owner, was only used once. I received it today, and it looks brand new, except! there was some silicone (white) on the lens mount. Not the type of silicone that you apply to the rubber bands that come with the housing. The type of silicone that you apply to bathrooms, kitchen and other surfaces.

I contacted the owner and told him, whats up with the white stuff? he replied that it was always a good idea to apply silicone to the lens hood.

Anyways, i removed it all as careful as possible to not scratch the housing (my nail still bleeding). Once i removed it, i did a test on my bath tub(no camera inside). Water got inside the housing. The bottom black camera holder that also has the LEDs in the back and has the flash hot shoe got wet, is it ruined?

After going to youtube, i found out that even small hairs can cause the leaks, so i went back and made sure that all the silicone/cocking was completely removed, and i made sure that i lubricated well the rubbers. 2nd try, and still some water got inside. I decided to clean the housing again very well and lubricated the rubbers again, and it seems that the 3rd one was the charm.

I am afraid to put my $3000 camera inside this thing and ruin it. If you have some advice for me, please feel free to let me know what you think.

You can check out my pictures here.

http://burn1nator.imgur.com

send it to ikelite.. they will replace electronics and test housing. you can ask for an estimate before they do any work on it

Questions about the housing after some testing done. (testing without a camera)

I took it to a pool and did all the lubing to the rings. The first times i got flooding (inside got wet already, so was not too worried), cleaned it made sure again that i dried the rings again and lub it one more time. Second not flooding but i did get water inside.

The third time, i took the ring from the lens, flip it and it worked perfectly. No water at all. At first i was worried and thinking that it was going to take water but after doing several tests, doing a 360, 180. taking it in and out of the water, throwing it up in the air (about 1 to 2 feet from the water into the water) and still no water inside.

My questions is, is this a common thing that happens? and what i mean is that, at times there will no full seal and water will come in.....or does the rubber ring have a side? Am i doing something wrong?

To be honest, i would not mind putting actual silicon on the lens and back housing every time i use the camera. I prefer that, than getting my camera wet.

I got a really good deal on this housing, and really want to keep it, even if i have to use bathroom silicon every time i use it.

I will not take this camera into deep dives often. Maybe once a year if so. Most of my use will be done in pools.

Thx for listening.

Seriously... what is your camera worth? To risk it in a housing that may or may not leak one time out of three in a foot of water?

O-rings can become squashed over time and leak. Or it may be something more sinister. Get the housing serviced.

Questions about the housing after some testing done. (testing without a camera)

I took it to a pool and did all the lubing to the rings. The first times i got flooding (inside got wet already, so was not too worried), cleaned it made sure again that i dried the rings again and lub it one more time. Second not flooding but i did get water inside.

The third time, i took the ring from the lens, flip it and it worked perfectly. No water at all. At first i was worried and thinking that it was going to take water but after doing several tests, doing a 360, 180. taking it in and out of the water, throwing it up in the air (about 1 to 2 feet from the water into the water) and still no water inside.

My questions is, is this a common thing that happens? and what i mean is that, at times there will no full seal and water will come in.....or does the rubber ring have a side? Am i doing something wrong?

To be honest, i would not mind putting actual silicon on the lens and back housing every time i use the camera. I prefer that, than getting my camera wet.

I got a really good deal on this housing, and really want to keep it, even if i have to use bathroom silicon every time i use it.

I will not take this camera into deep dives often. Maybe once a year if so. Most of my use will be done in pools.

Thx for listening.

megacesos,

We would strongly recommend that you send the housing to Ikelite for evaluation and an overhaul. There is no charge to evaluate the housing and we will contact you with an estimate before starting any work. Turnaround time is approx. 2 weeks from receipt of the housing.

Send to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn: Service Dept.
50 West 33rd St.,
Indianapolis, IN 46208

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom