Idea for Ikelite Engineers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently on a trip, on a late afternoon dive, we lost a diver.
Intense search until midnight and several days after without luck.
The following day some of his equipment and his camera with both strobes were found.
I have no idea what safety equipment he was carrying.
Afterwards, I was thinking what I would have done in the situation and wondering ......................wouldn't it be great if you could disconnect the strobes and keep one or both
for emergency signaling. Two big powerful batteries and lights and they were in this case let go with the camera rig
probably due to weight.
Light/Motion uses wet connects for charging their lights although this may be much different technically to what is necessary to fire a strobe.
Maybe a wet disconnect at the housing allowing you to keep both strobes or at each strobe allowing you to decide in the particular situation if you want to keep both or just one. This could be an aftermarket connector between the camera housing and the strobe cable

Just a suggestion and something that, due to my ignorance, technically may not be feasible.

I'm having a hard time understanding what your idea is. Being able to ditch the camera but keep the strobe as an emergency signalling device?

A signal strobe can be purchased for a few bucks, and should be carried on any dive where you might be in the water at night.

200710_scubalab_12.jpg

IkeLite has an SOS function on the DS161, also they have quick release grips you can buy for your tray. The only issue would be the sync cord but not that hard to disconnect. But these strobes can be a lot heavier than a torch, you can also find a lot of torches now with strobe functions for emergencies built in.

I agree with the comments regarding the strobe and the torch.
In this case the dive started during daylight hours and although I personally carry a strobe at all times, I do not carry a torch except on night dives and I am not sure how many divers carry a strobe at all times.

What I mean is, a way to disconnect the sync chord without shorting the strobe and being able to ditch the camera. I feel like I am carrying on every single dive two potentially powerful and long lasting life saving devices that I can't use unless I keep them attached to the camera rig. Although the strobe is heavy heavy, I can guarantee that I would find a way of keeping at least one attached to my BC or using the flotation of my safety sausage.
Unless I am totally wrong and you can disconnect the sync chord from the camera or the strobe and the SOS and light function would still work. Does anybody know if that is the case?

The diver that we lost at some point elected to ditch weights, camera, and tank
If I was facing a long day or night in the ocean waiting for rescue, I don't think I want to
be holding a heavy camera system for hours.........but, I would keep a strobe (or both) if I could use them for signaling.

If I was facing a long day or night in the ocean waiting for rescue, I don't think I want to
be holding a heavy camera system for hours.........but, I would keep a strobe (or both) if I could use them for signaling.
i agree with rjp's observation. cameras are not heavy underwater. clip it off and ignore it. no need to ditch it.

i also question dumping the tank. they are positive once emtpy.

should this be a topic for the accidents & incidents thread?

p.s. i always have my backup light tucked in my bcd pocket. it rides there all week, day and night dives. i check it before every dive.

Certainly not going to question the decision of someone who was in a dire situation... but if weighted properly they should be OK with the camera.

When you say that they ditched their tank... do you mean "just the tank" but not the full scuba unit? Seems like a lot of trouble to get out of gear, disconnect tank and get back in gear. Plus, if it were an AL80 the diver actually gave up BUOYANCY rather than weight.

Certainly not going to question the decision of someone who was in a dire situation... but if weighted properly they should be OK with the camera.

When you say that they ditched their tank... do you mean "just the tank" but not the full scuba unit? Seems like a lot of trouble to get out of gear, disconnect tank and get back in gear. Plus, if it were an AL80 the diver actually gave up BUOYANCY rather than weight.

Not a big deal. Just thought it would be useful to have the camera strobe in your pocket or hand after ditching the camera. The camera has to be lifted to water level and held to aim the strobe and if you are cold or dehydrated I would rather just have the arm and the strobe head. I would be easier to keep above water and facing a plane or helicopter.
It would be nearly impossible for me to ditch my camera but after 6, 7 or 8 hours I do not want anything hanging from me. The idea came because almost everyone that I dive with day and night have these two powerful batteries and lights with them that could be used for signaling if others fail or run out of power. (Over the years I've had two small strobes flood without ever being used. Fortunately did not find out during an emergency)

No idea what happened to our diver. The tank was attached to the BC when found. I could only postulate that he may have seen a boat or the dive boat in the distance (nearest land was several miles away and not visible) and he felt that free swimming he could reach them. Maybe that is why the camera was also ditched.I really do not have any idea what happened. No one does.

I do not want to continue taking over the Ikelite forum for this issue and I apologize it became an accident conversation or topic
Just an idea that came up in my head as I thought about the incident and I thought may be useful but if others feel it would not be helpful, then please disregard

Not a big deal. Just thought it would be useful to have the camera strobe in your pocket or hand after ditching the camera. The camera has to be lifted to water level and held to aim the strobe and if you are cold or dehydrated I would rather just have the arm and the strobe head. I would be easier to keep above water and facing a plane or helicopter.
It would be nearly impossible for me to ditch my camera but after 6, 7 or 8 hours I do not want anything hanging from me. The idea came because almost everyone that I dive with day and night have these two powerful batteries and lights with them that could be used for signaling if others fail or run out of power. (Over the years I've had two small strobes flood without ever being used. Fortunately did not find out during an emergency)

No idea what happened to our diver. The tank was attached to the BC when found. I could only postulate that he may have seen a boat or the dive boat in the distance (nearest land was several miles away and not visible) and he felt that free swimming he could reach them. Maybe that is why the camera was also ditched.I really do not have any idea what happened. No one does.

I do not want to continue taking over the Ikelite forum for this issue and I apologize it became an accident conversation or topic
Just an idea that came up in my head as I thought about the incident and I thought may be useful but if others feel it would not be helpful, then please disregard
Please do not apologize that it has become an accident discussion. Instead, I suggest you post what you know as a new thread on the A&I forum. We are all here (well most of us) to exchange ideas and learn. This incident sounds like an excellent topic for A&I.

Back
Top Bottom