Questions about o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
1) I bought spare o-rings for the housing and the lens extension (5510.11). They
come in a little plastic bag and are not greased. I may not use them for many months or ever. Should I grease them for storage or leave as they are?

2) there are two o-rings on the 5510.11. One is maybe a few millimeters larger than the other although both fit in both the inner and outer grooves of the lens extension. Are they interchangeable or very specific to their placement. ( I assume they are not since they have different numbers but was wondering.........in case you had one spare left........)

thanks for for all your answers and for the great Ikelite service

You should address your questions directly to Ikelite Service Department <repair@ikelite.com> rather than a general forum like this.

In general, however, don 't grease the o-rings 'til you use them; they don't need it for storage, and it just means they might get dirty before you use them.

Page 9 of the manual for the 5510.11 clearly shows a larger and a smaller o-ring, with different numbers. I would see no reason to question that!

Thanks for checking with us. Although both o-rings are similar in size, they are not interchangeable. The Extension to Housing o-ring (0105) is smaller than the Extension to Port o-ring (0132.41). There is no need to lubricate the o-rings for storage, but you will want to apply Ikelite lubricant when using them.

Thanks Ikelite/John
the Ikelite Staff has always been great about answering our questiond and concerns
in this forum

I don't have an ike housing yet, but hoping to get one if they release a Sony A7II compatible model. A general question: does Ikelite use double O-ring sealing in their bigger housings? In my current 10bar housing it gives me some additional safety that 2 o-rings guard the door...

I don't have an ike housing yet, but hoping to get one if they release a Sony A7II compatible model. A general question: does Ikelite use double O-ring sealing in their bigger housings? In my current 10bar housing it gives me some additional safety that 2 o-rings guard the door...

tamas,

We use the patented Ikelite X-ring seals in our control glands which provide dual sealing surfaces for each 1/4-inch control shaft. There is one compression seal o-ring on the back acrylic housing plate. With a clear housing front and back, it is not necessary to add a redundant seal since the sealing areas are clearly visible.

Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom