Annoying Ikelite 8" Dome Reflection (flare) - DIY solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lrossel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Since I bought my 8" modular dome for my Nikon D7100 Housing to be used with the Tokina 10-17 Lens, I always was very frustrated every time I was trying to do some CFWA.

My first thinking was to doubt about my ability to position the strobes in the right way with this big dome, feeling embarrassed about my overestimated experience in underwater photography.

Every time I tried to shot with one or two strobes pointing inward, an ugly and big reflection appeared in the picture, no matter how much I tried to push the strobes to the back, the only way to get rid of that reflection was to point the strobes out.

Reflejo-weón.jpg
In the image above can see real examples of the problem. In the left images you can see the reflection when I tried to point the strobes inward, at right images, almost same picture but pointing strobes out.

After a talk with a friend of mine, I decide to find the problem, suspecting in some reflection from inside the dome, instead a flare in the dome surface because a bad position of the strobe.

I made a test lab in my room to reproduce the problem. At the first attemp the ugly flare appeared:
Flare-Reflection.jpg
As you can see in the image, there is a clear difference between a flare caused by a bad position of the strobes (center) and this other strange flare (left and right).

If there was any reflection from inside the dome caused by a light coming from the sides or the top, I had to find a way to cover the inside disk of the dome. I decided to use a round piece of neoprene with an inner round hole just to allow the pass of the lens. I made some measures and I cut a circle of neoprene of diameter 16 cm with an inner round hole of about 8 cm.

Here you can see the engineered and precise design:

Neopren Cover.jpg

Then I started the test at the next day with this awesome results:

Prueba1.jpg
With the two strobes pointing slightly to the back of the housing, no reflection and a soft light in the subject.

I decided to go extreme, pointing the two strobes directly to the housing, and no reflection at all.

Prueba2.jpg
In the above image at the right, I put the right strobe at the top of the housing pointing directly to the bottom, without any angle to the back.

I move the subject closer to the dome, to simulate a very extreme CFWA with very good results too.
Prueba3.jpg
As at the other test, I put the right strobe at the top of the housing pointing directly to the bottom, without any angle to the back (image at right)

All the above tests were made with the Tokina at 10mm, then I zoomed to 15mm getting this great result:
_LRL6982.jpg

The last image shows another view of the position of the strobes for the tests.
DSC_8470.jpg

Now I'm happy to realize that I'm not so bad underwater photographer. I believe that the design of the Ikelite 8" modular dome can be improved with some kind of real anti-reflection sheet inside and with the addition of a cover for the back of the dome to avoid dust inside... it is very tricky to clean the dome inside with the extension ring installed.

Thank you for this tip... I will try it. I have the same setup as you (even the strobes) but for a Canon 7Dmk2 with an 8-15mm fish eye. I also have the glare issue but only when the strobes are in front of the dome, or a sun ray hits directly to the dome.

I had a similar situation which was solved by painting the clear plastic focusing extension piece that goes over the lens flat black.
For some reason that I can't understand it was a combination of light hitting the dome and the clear plastic extension causing the reflection. It never happened again after I painted it. (that was with a Tokina 10-17 lens)

I had a similar situation which was solved by painting the clear plastic focusing extension piece that goes over the lens flat black.
For some reason that I can't understand it was a combination of light hitting the dome and the clear plastic extension causing the reflection. It never happened again after I painted it. (that was with a Tokina 10-17 lens)

Hmm what clear plastic extension?
Do you mean the Ikelite zoom-ring?

Sorry. Had not been in the site for a while.
that is correct. The zoom ring

Back
Top Bottom