D7200 and WiFi thru the uw-housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fota

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible to transfer photos from a D7200 to a (windows)computer without opening the Ikelite uw-housing?

Regards,
Peter

Thanks, I actually have an Eyefi pro card since a few years. I am not very fond of it. It slows down the camera and the transfer speed is slow. The D7200 has built in WiFi and I wondered if the Ikelite housing would limit the signal or not. Or if there could be any other reasons why it wouldn't work.

Last edited:
I don't have any actual data but I don't see why it would - there's no metal in an Ikelite case except for the control knobs.
Inside a steel boat cabin might cause problems if the camera/housing was elsewhere. Gopro's use wifi and most I've seen don't get removed from their case although it's slightly thinner plastic.

Your Nikon probably has a slightly better transmitter than the Gopro also...lol.

I don't have any actual data but I don't see why it would - there's no metal in an Ikelite case except for the control knobs.
Inside a steel boat cabin might cause problems if the camera/housing was elsewhere. Gopro's use wifi and most I've seen don't get removed from their case although it's slightly thinner plastic.

Your Nikon probably has a slightly better transmitter than the Gopro also...lol.

Actually, my GoPro Hero 3 BE cannot transfer photos thru the uw-housing. I have to take it out. The LiveView (via a smartphone) works thru the snorkel case though (which has a much thinner back door).

I have now tested this and YES it works very well. Tested with a Galaxy S6 and an Asus Laptop.
An uncompressed 14-bit NEF was transferred to the computer in 15 seconds. A jpg in top quality and max size in about 2 seconds.
The transfer to the Galaxy was also fast, but I didn't see any point of transferring NEF to the phone.
I could also remote access/control all settings in the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom