SL1 ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveInNZ

Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding the ports for the SL1 housing.

With a Canon 60mm EF-S Macro lens in the 5516.50 flat port, how much space is there between the end of the lens and the port glass ? ie. Space for a filter or dry diopter.

When the 8" dome is fitted to a DSLR housing, you use different extensions to position it correctly for different lenses. When the 8" dome is fitted to the SL1 housing with a 5516.80 adapter, what is equivalent extension length ?

Thanks,

Steve.

I have a couple of questions regarding the ports for the SL1 housing. With a Canon 60mm EF-S Macro lens in the 5516.50 flat port, how much space is there between the end of the lens and the port glass ? ie. Space for a filter or dry diopter. When the 8" dome is fitted to a DSLR housing, you use different extensions to position it correctly for different lenses. When the 8" dome is fitted to the SL1 housing with a 5516.80 adapter, what is equivalent extension length ? Thanks, Steve.
Steve,

There is approximately 7/32" of space between the end of the lens and the inside of the 5516.50 Flat Port, which should be enough room for most diopters/filters. Make sure you measure first to be safe.

There is no equivalent DSLR extension length to the 5516.80 adapter, however, the 5510.11 super-wide extension would be close. The 5510.11 cannot be used on a mirrorless camera housing since the mounting system is different.

Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Thanks Brett. Your website doesn't list the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 rectilinear lens as a compatible lens for the adapter. Is there a something that would prevent me from using that lens with the SL1 that I have overlooked ? Could that lens be used in the compact 10-17 dome ? I have both of these lenses and will be ordering the 10-17 dome anyway. I'm just wondering whether to sell my modular dome with my old 40D housing or keep it for things like over-unders with the 11-16.
It would be quite useful to have a compatible lens list for the SL1 now that you have domes and extensions as the SL1 isn't exactly a mirrorless and doesn't fit with the larger DSLR ports.

Thanks,

Steve.

Thanks Brett. Your website doesn't list the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 rectilinear lens as a compatible lens for the adapter. Is there a something that would prevent me from using that lens with the SL1 that I have overlooked ? Could that lens be used in the compact 10-17 dome ? I have both of these lenses and will be ordering the 10-17 dome anyway. I'm just wondering whether to sell my modular dome with my old 40D housing or keep it for things like over-unders with the 11-16.
It would be quite useful to have a compatible lens list for the SL1 now that you have domes and extensions as the SL1 isn't exactly a mirrorless and doesn't fit with the larger DSLR ports.

Thanks,

Steve.

Steve,

Answers below:

Is there a something that would prevent me from using that lens with the SL1 that I have overlooked? No, not based on the specs and web photos, however, we do not have the lens to confirm. Could that lens be used in the compact 10-17 dome? Yes, with the 1.2-inch Mirrorless Lens Extension 5516.65: Ikelite | Mirrorless 1.2-inch Lens Extension. The ability to zoom the lens cannot be confirmed, however, the 5509.28 zoom set might work.

I'm just wondering whether to sell my modular dome with my old 40D housing or keep it for things like over-unders with the 11-16: That is your decision, but you could do over-unders using the 8-inch modular dome with lens extension 5510.50 and Mirrorless Lens Adapter 5516.80. You would need to preset the focal length since there is no zoom option with this setup.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Back
Top Bottom