Flights between Bali and Manado?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone provide a ballpark figure for the cost of a flight from Denpasar, Bali to Manado, Sulawesi? I'm looking at a little side-trip from Bali to Lembeh/Bunaken next August/September, and have no idea what the cost of the flight from Bali would be. None of the mainstream online ticket services (Kayak, Yahoo, etc.) seem to list this flight.

Is this the sort of flight one needs to book well in advance? Or is it as casual as other flights in the region? In my (admittedly limited) experience flying within southeast asia, I've found it refreshingly rational and hassle-free to simply book a flight the next day (unlike in the US, where tickets must be booked in advance or the price skyrockets).

I'm sure this is a fairly popular route (at least with divers) but I'm not finding any pricing/schedule info online...anybody recall what this flight costs?

Thanks.

Ah. OK, thanks. Looks like about US$175 round-trip (I'm still getting my head around the currency - one million five hundred seventy six thousand Rupiahs sounds like a lot until you figure that one US dollar is worth over 9000 Rupiahs - I can see that estimating prices will be a challenge after a few beers...).

Looks like one flight each way per day, about 1 hour 20 minutes.

Is Garuda the only/best choice? I don't necessarily have a problem with Garuda, but always look to use an airline that participates in one of the frequent flyer alliances (SkyTeam, Star Alliance) if possible. But on a route like this, I'd guess that the options are limited (and usually on smaller airlines that don't participate in these programs).

Thanks!

I have found Lion Air to be reliable. They fly non-stop between Denpassar and Manado. If you use Garuda you will have to fly via Makassar (Ujung Padang).

http://www.lionair.co.id/

Their fares are really low compared to Garuda. One way between DPS and MDC is about $80 US.

Does one have to book these well in advance? Also, not meaning to hijack, but does lionair fly direct Manado to KL?

if I'm not mistaken usually 2-3 days in advance to get a good rate and guarantee seat. Otherwise, you might have a problem.

S-

To my knowledge no direct flight KL - Menado neither other airline. The choices are via Singapore (Silk air), Jakarta or Denpasar.
Special rate /the cheapest, mostly not available through website; ussualy taken by local travel agent or far earlier booking. Their on-line booking system is not transparant. Very unlikely to get best rate if just booking 2 - 3 days only in advance.
Within 2 week when I was in Indonesia early this month, I read from local newspaper at least 2 or 3 complaint letters for Lion air - one of them re. flight cancelation but difficult / not able to refund - be careful with special rate ticket.

Does Lion now fly direct from Denpasar to Manado? We used them in 2005 and 2006 for our trips, and both times there were no direct flights, you had to change planes in Makassar. Of course, the change-over in Makassar was not listed on their website!

Thanks
Pamela

Garuda is generally more reliable than Lion/Wings. There's a connect in Makassar. They may not be the cheapest but it's more important to me to get to my next destination on time (more or less) than end up with a canceled or very late flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom