Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Muck Stick?

Registered

is thinking about diving with
    whale sharks very soon!

Dives
    500 - 999
    I just thought of another way we have used our muck sticks in the past. We did the silver tip dive in cocos a couple of years ago. It is a shallow dive with a LOT of surge. Those of us who had muck sticks just stuck them into the sand( damaging no coral or life whatsoever) and hung on for an hour long show with the silver tips. We gently swayed back and forth but didn't go anywhere. The divers with no sticks thrashed about to and fro and eventually had to leave because the surge was so strong! ?????
    Allison Finch likes this.

Registered

Just bought my first Dive Boat

Dives
    50 - 99
    I want one as a seal deterent!

Registered

Wish I had time to edit video!

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Allison Finch View Post
    ^^^agree with the above.

I don't like that stick, though. Almost all my diving requires long travel and weight restricted baggage. I cut handles off tooth brushes and such silliness just so I can carry the filter, or lens. That stick, being Stainless steel with a huge handle is way too heavy for the traveling diver, IMO.
    Allison, put a handle on your fiberglass stick. That would be better.

I'd thought about making a diver killer myself with a fiberglass stick & handle, but I'm too lazy (really too busy I guess) to do that or spend time sawing off the handle of my toothbrush. I haven't even fully unpacked from my Oct/Nov/Dec 2012 trips and have been home for 5 weeks.

I have started buying liquids when I arrive (mouthwash, shampoo, etc.) and that cuts down on travel weight.
    Deb Fugitt
    City Seahorse, Inc.
    CitySeahorseTours@gmail.com
    Raja Ampat Liveaboard Diving Indonesia
    Phone: Texas 817-626-0636

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by hellhole View Post
    well.. once again.. it all about how you use it
    I agree they have a legitimate use, unfortunately I happen to see them mostly used for the non-legitimate uses including as crutch for poor buoyancy, and wildlife prodding/harasment.

My experience though, I have to admit is colored by my Caribbean/Florida diving. I realize this is the Indonesia forum, maybe on your side of the world the correct use is more prevalent.
    fdog likes this.

Registered

Wish I had time to edit video!

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by jake11 View Post
    We did have a cruise director many years ago that whacked a guy in the legs with his muck stick because he thought his buoyancy skills were lacking!!! I thought there was a better way than that to educate him on his finning skills( or lack of )!
    Whacking their fins is enough. Usually. Also a good way to get someone's attention to show them a more interesting critter than the one they are watching or shooting.
    jake11 likes this.
    Deb Fugitt
    City Seahorse, Inc.
    CitySeahorseTours@gmail.com
    Raja Ampat Liveaboard Diving Indonesia
    Phone: Texas 817-626-0636

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

Back to Indo ... again!

Photos
    I don't care for a stick without a good handle, so I came up with these (still to be welded). I personally think there are many cases , often in some current, where good buoyancy just won't do the job. Done right, placed right, this is a good alternative. Having said that, I think they're greatly over-used, with too many divers taking advantage of the "pokey stick" aspect of them. A stick like this will have an obvious negative impact on your packing weight, though.Name:  IMG_2620.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  66.9 KB
    Last edited by highdesert; January 10th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
    It's just my opinion, folks ...

" ... when you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you've been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent. "
    -Dave Barry

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I know there's good divers out there that use these appropriately and considerately.

Sadly, I have never seen them. 100% of those I've witnessed with these in their hands has used them for poking, prodding and chivying wildlife, in the process, occasionally killing it. 100%. Really. And especially the pious dive guides.
    And when used upon coral, pretty indiscriminate in it's placement.

It's plain as day that having one just naturally leads to doing things with the stick that you wouldn't dream of doing with a bare hand.

...But as I said, I am certain (no sarcasm here, it's really how I feel) there are some that use them appropriately. I just believe they are horribly outnumbered by the abusers.

All the best, James
    Angry Turtle and Sorrows like this.
    James Flenner

Finally, I found a quote that's worthy of a sig line snippet:

"Deep Monterey diving is so beautiful it almost hurts." HBDiveGirl

Registered

Have camera and airline
    ticket...will travel

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by photog View Post
    Allison, put a handle on your fiberglass stick. That would be better.

Actually, I don't want a handle. It defeats the purpose of the wrist strap. You see, I use the strap like a ski pole, put your hand UP through the strap. Then, when you hold the spike, your weight is supported by the strap. You don't even have to grip the stick much, at all. It relieves the effort of gripping. It also makes it easier to hold the handle of your camera tray with the stick in your hand. A handle would be awful, as you would have to exert the energy to always grip it.

With the wrist strap. your weight rests on the strap, not on your grip.
    alcina likes this.

Registered

is thinking about diving with
    whale sharks very soon!

Dives
    500 - 999
    When we were in Lembeh there were 8 of us on one dive boat and all 8 used the sticks. I saw no one use them incorrectly out of the 8 people??? I have seen a couple of dive guides( just a couple) pick up nudis and move them with their sticks. I have never seen a guest misuse one. Really!!! They are used in Indonesia a lot. When we dive in Cozumel we never use them and rarely see them because there is really no need. ( hence the name muck stick??)

Registered

Going back to Indo! Next stop,
    Wakatobi, Bunaken and ...?

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by jake11 View Post
    When we were in Lembeh there were 8 of us on one dive boat and all 8 used the sticks. I saw no one use them incorrectly out of the 8 people??? I have seen a couple of dive guides( just a couple) pick up nudis and move them with their sticks. I have never seen a guest misuse one. Really!!! They are used in Indonesia a lot. When we dive in Cozumel we never use them and rarely see them because there is really no need. ( hence the name muck stick??)
    I think the problem here may be distinguishing muck stick from "tickle stick" which is the display name that one of the local dive shops in Guam has them under. The title alone reinforces the bad behavior. Muck Sticks are very helpful for the responsible diver. When abused, they become "tickle sticks" or "kill sticks" in some cases.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast