Bali/Wakatobi Baggage Allowance??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings -

Off to the big blowout trip to Wakatobi in October. Wondering if anyone knows if there is a bagage limitation on the Bali/Wakatobi shuttle flight? I'm assuming since it's virtually all divers, they must be fairly reasonable with their allowances (???).

Also, anyone ever fly Cathay Pacific from US to Bali? Same questions there. Any clues how strict they are with their stated carry-on weight limitations? They allow:

1- 15 lb carry-on (economy class)
1- 9 lb briefcase
1- 9 lb computer
camera, coat, etc.

I wanted to pack one big bag, one carry-on, plus my reg bag (with reg, computer, dive light). So I actually want to put more wight in my carry-ons. Any hints? Sorry, upgrading to first class so I can carry on another 17 lbs isn't an option!

I don't know about the limits on the Bali-Wakatobi flight Best contact the people at Waktobi because that is a special charter flight just for them.

You are wise to have a separate regulator bag. I clip mine with snap bolts to the bottom of my carry on for walking around and its easy to separate and stow or present for inspection (it always gets looked at when I transit thru Narita, Tokyo) and it could be considered a "hand bag" so on most flights I can have my standard carry on size soft luggage (which I can over stuff if I think I can get away with it like on a 747)

If you are flying to/from US/Canada to Bali (one one ticket - even if multiple airlines) with no break of journey, overnight in a transit hotel or changing planes is not considered a break of journey) your are subject to the more liberal piece system (abbreviated PC or 2PC, meaning two pieces, on your ticket) which is two pieces of luggage of a certain size maximum weighing no more than 50 to 70 pounds each (23 kg to 32 kg) (check with the airlines). Singapore (as of March 2007) has a PC limit of 70 pounds, American Airlines is 50 pounds.

When I checked in at LAX with Singapore (my flight was with Singapore and their subsidiary Silk Air) my checked luggage was checked directly through to Manado. So be sure keep in your carry on anything you need for your flight and transit.

Had I been breaking my journey by staying several days in Singapore (or changed carriers and had a separate ticket) I would have been subject to the standard international weight limit of 20 kilograms (20KG) (about 44 pounds) total for both pieces for the final leg to Manado.

Basically it meant that someone starting in Singapore would get 44 pounds and I would get 140 pounds.

Look on your ticket it will say PC, 2PC or 20KG.

Also some airlines will give extra luggage allowance for divers. However it can be rather difficult to find this information. SilkAir hides it under HELP
From: http://www.silkair.com/mbe/en_UK/content/help/helpBaggageAllowance.jsp

A 10 kg excess baggage allowance is extended for customers with diving equipment travelling to Cebu, Davao, Langkawi, Lombok, Phuket and Manado.
Note: Customers travelling to and from Area 1 (USA, Canada) on the same ticket will have the piece concept applied at all points in the itinerary.

=====
Also if you have an "elite" status in some frequently flyer clubs you may get extra luggage on the big planes.

Make sure you belong a frequent flyer program before you fly. e.g. Cathy Pacific is partners with American Airlines so you could apply the miles to American but you must be a member before the flight. I was on an Air Pacific flight to Fiji and did NOT know I could miles on American until after the flight so I lost 11,000 miles because I had not yet joined the AA FF program.

Wakatobi Resort says no limit (within reason)...you'll be governed more by the other flights you have to take. Wakatobi knows you're bringing a ton of gear and are happy to have you haul it all :)

We'll be originating on United Airlines in the US to LAX, so we're subject to their 2 x 50 lbs checked baggage. If I do that, I have no baggage issues at all. The problem is if I try to check only one 50 lb bag, which is an option. Then I have to try to carry on more, up to the Cathay Pacific limit (or more, I hope). Equipment is 747, so I'm hoping that helps.

Does you onward ticket also say 2PC (from LAX)?? If it does just check two bags and carry on your reg and anything else that is fragile, valuable or indispensable or hard to replace in Bali.

I just use heavy duty Nylon Cordura duffel bags (the thiner nylon will rip). Wheely bags weigh a lot.

Only once, a few years ago did anyone weigh my carry on. I was able to transfer some things to my duffel which I was checking. That was on Malaysian Airlines at LAX

Once the Qantas gate agents (it was an Air Pacific flight to Fiji, code share with AA and Qantas) suggested that my carryon was to big to fit in the little measuring frame, but knowing I was going on a 747 with huge overhead bins, when they offered to check my carry on I said "You can;t guarantee me that it won't be lost, damaged or delayed" and I just kept on walking on to the plane.

Don't forget your international departure tax in Bali. April 2007 Manado its was about US$8 payable in Indonesian rupiahs

If you luggage is checked thru to Bali and you only have carry on luggage at LAX and you have your boarding passes for LAX then no problem.

For those who must do a full check in at the Bradley International Terminal (located at between Terminals 3 and 4) at LAX -- get boarding passes and check luggage -- give yourself a minimum of one hour from the street to the departure gate, if you are lucky.

Hand luggage search is pretty efficient, but the main hall where you check in is a zoo. Most places don't have their own screening machines (in the inner area) so there is mass screening of checked luggage out in the open main area. I had to stand in four separate lines before getting to the departure gate.

Remember coming back into the US you must go thru customs at LAX and recheck you baggage to your final home destination, (after collecting and clearing your bags head toward the transfer desk to the right instead out to the street at Bradley terminal arrival area).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom