Trip report: Bali and north Sulawesi (part 1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
August 20 - September 3, 2007, Bali (multiple locations) and north Sulawesi (Bunaken Marine Park)...details follow.

Disclaimer 1: This is my first-ever trip report (here or anywhere else), so I hope I get all the protocols right - my apologies if everything isn't perfect :D. I made heavy use of the forums here during the planning for our trip, and I'm very grateful to those who answered all my questions and provided their own feedback - that definitely helped a lot, and was one of the reasons why we had a great trip. I hope the info here in this report helps others.

Disclaimer 2: This was my first attempt at underwater photography. I did not invest a great deal of money or effort towards that - I already had the camera, I just bought the housing and a couple of very small accessories - no external strobe. I left the camera on the basic "underwater" setting (i.e. the "lazy" or "idiot" setting) and just shot lots and lots of frames. Some of them came out OK (a lot of them didn't). Got some video, too (of varying quality) Considering the minimal effort and money that I invested, I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Some of my better shots can be viewed here: http://www.geoduckmedia.com/travel/Bali_Sulawesi/

Technical details: For those who care, about the underwater photos: Canon PowerShot A620 with the Canon WP-DC90 underwater housing. I used the Canon weights (two of them) to make the camera slightly negatively buoyant (and glad I did). I clipped the housing to my BC. I did minimal post-processing of the photos using Photoshop CS2.

About us: I'd call myself an intermediate (maybe an "advanced intermediate") diver with a basic PADI open water certification. I've probably done about 100-125 dives total (sorry, I don't log them), over the course of nearly 20 years. My diving typically happens in spurts, with (sometimes) long gaps in between trips. I'd say my wife is more of an advanced beginner, with about 40 dives now scattered across maybe 8 years, with the same long gaps in between trips. Prior to this trip, it had been more than 4 years since our last dives. We did a scuba refresher course (in the pool) a few days before we departed. We're pretty casual divers, out there to have fun and see things, not looking to set any records or impress anyone else. We have basic snorkel gear and wetsuits (which we brought along on this trip), but rent BCs and regs at our dive destinations. Previously we've dived Cozumel, Hawaii, and around Thailand.

This was the best diving I have ever done. I know we're completely spoiled now. Oh, well. OK, here's my trip report...

Outbound travel: We had a long string of flights to Bali (Seattle - San Francisco - Hong Kong - Singapore - Denpasar) - it was a long slog (almost 2 days en route) but since the tickets were essentially free (thanks to good use of frequent flyer miles), I can't complain. We arrived in Denpasar in the early evening, and after a variety of minor airport hassles and some complex luggage shuffling (a long story..) we caught a taxi to our hotel. We spent the first night at the Hotel Bali Agung Village in Seminyak (near but not in Kuta). We have absolutely no interest in the night life and party atmosphere of Kuta, so all we wanted was a good night's sleep before heading away the next morning. The hotel was OK but not great (I wouldn't call our room 100% clean), but it was adequate for 1 night and the price was reasonable.

We spent the next 4 days at the Mimpi Resort in Menjangen. The next morning our driver from the Mimpi picked us up at our hotel in Seminyak as requested. It was about a 4-hour drive. We went up through pleasant scenery in the mountains as we crossed to the north side of the island. We stopped a few times enroute to do some quick sight-seeing (waterfalls, mountain lakes, etc.). We arrived at the Mimpi Menjangen late in the afternoon.

About the resort: we completely fell in love with this place and want to go back. It was about as nice a place as I can ever imagine - and the diving was great, too. We had booked a standard "courtyard" room, and that was delightful. The grounds were just beautiful, manicured and flawless, with two cold water swimming pools and several natural hot-springs pools; one swimming pool and 3 of the hot-springs pools were perched right on the edge of the bay - really beautiful. The hotel was not very full when we were there (I'd guess maybe 50% full). The staff was friendly and incredibly attentive. Because of a minor issue with our room the first night, the staff upgraded us to a nicer room for the next few nights - with a private, stone hot-spring soaking tub. It was blissful, and we didn't want to leave. The food in the restaurant was fine. Not exactly 5-star but not bad, either, especially considering the isolated location. Top-notch service everywhere. OK, about the diving...

The hotel has its own dive shop on the premises, and I thought they were pretty good. Diving was done from small wooden "panga"-style boats, which were adequate but not fancy at all. There was some shade on the boats (important to me - I burn easily), a cooler with water and soft drinks (usually not very cold). Typically about 4-6 divers per boat, sometimes up to maybe 8 but no crowded boats. Maybe this was a function of the time of year - everyone kept telling us it was high season, but it sure didn't seem very crowded to us. Rental gear was OK - not brand new, but not all beat up either. Usually one dive guide for every 2-4 divers. Dive guides gave a cursory pre-trip briefing that was pretty short on details and appeared to sometimes be short on any real planning (this was probably one of the few criticisms I would make of their operation).

Divemasters were mostly local guys, so there were some language issues - English was the language used by (almost) all, and the dive guide's English was not always great. Clientele was mostly European and Japanese (we were the only Americans we saw there). The hotel gets a lot of Japanese visitors, the natural hot springs being a big draw for them (I can see why - it was great!). There was one Japanese divemaster, who was typically assigned to the boat with the Japanese divers. When all the Japanese guests had departed (our last day there) we dove with her, and the briefing and dive seemed much better organized. All dives were all done at sights around Menjangen Island, about 20-40 minutes away by boat (depending on the location, boat and conditions). I would say that the viz at all the sights was very good - consistently 60-80 feet. Most places the reef seemed very healthy, although occasionally you would see an area that looked damaged or dead. There was plenty of marine life. We saw lots of small fish, one reef shark, nudibranches all over the place, scorpionfish, lots of lionfish, many garden eels, and a variety of critters. the marine environment seemed very healthy.

Surface intervals were a bit of a disappointment. All were done on Menjangen Island. Typically the boats would just drop you on the island and you were given a box lunch, and left (divemasters disappeared or went back on the boat). There were two different places where they dropped you, both weren't particularly pleasant: garbage was strewn all over the place, and there were few comfortable places to sit in the shade. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't on a par with the rest of the experiences. I wish the local dive operators would take the initiative to help clean up the island and educate everyone to the necessity of not trashing the place.

After 4 days at Menjangen, it was time for us to head east to Tulamben - although it was hard to leave...we really loved the place. The Mimpi driver (same one who brought us there) drove us to the Mimpi Tulamben, about 3 hours away. We arrived at Tulamben around sunset. We had been scheduled to do a night dive that evening, and I was tired but we were only planning one night and one day there, and my wife insisted, so we dumped our bags in our room and grabbed our gear.

The night dive was kind of a minor fiasco - we stumbled down the beach (the beach is rocks, and difficult to walk on even in the best of conditions, and it was dark, we had tanks on our backs, and there were waves). Once in the water I was having trouble with my mask fogging up very badly. The rental light I had been given was really dim and barely usable. I couldn't see much other than follow the lights of my wife and the DM leading us. I did see a few interesting critters - some lobsters, crabs and a skate - but mostly was just waiting for the dive to end. The DM found one very interesting item: a Spanish dancer (although it wasn't in the mood to dance much). OK, that was cool. Other than that, I would probably have enjoyed the time more having a beer at dinner. Oh, yeah: there was bioluminescence in the water: turn off your light, swish your hand back and forth, and watch all the little lights. I hadn't seen that in years, so thought it was cool.

Our room (a basic, "patio" room) was OK but was most definitely a real step down from the accommodations at Menjangen. Staff at the resort and dive shop were nice, friendly and helpful. Food at the restaurant was fine - maybe a bit better than at Menjangen (perhaps because they're less isolated and have more competition?).

The next day we had two dives scheduled: first, an early morning dive on the Liberty ship wreck. Our hope was to beat the crowds there and I think we mostly succeeded - there were a handful of other divers in the water with us, but I wouldn't call it crowded with other divers (crowded with fish, yes - but no complaints about that!). This was one of the more memorable dives on the trip (and that's saying something). The wreck itself was pretty cool, all encrusted with coral and other critters, with big swim-throughs and large, gaping holes. But the dense schools of big fish were the real hits for us - there are a LOT of fish around there. I got to sit inside a couple of giant, swirling clouds of fish - a unique experience when you're surrounded by so many fish you can't see any water between them. Very, very cool. The second dive of the day was on their drop-off, and there were lots of fish on that, too. If I had it do it over again, I would probably have done both dives on the wreck - it was that good.

All the dives here were shore dives - from that rocky "beach" that made just walking on it (without any gear) a challenge. The entry point for the Liberty wreck is about 1/4 mile down the beach from the hotel. Fortunately, there are "helpers" who carry your tanks for you: little old ladies (about 4' 11" tall, and small in stature) who balance one or two(!) tanks on their heads and then carry them down the rocky beach for you. Pretty humbling to watch them as we stumbled along behind them just trying to walk while holding our snorkeling gear. Oh well, I figure they're professionals. :wink:

That afternoon we checked out and our driver took us to our next stop: Candidasa. It was about an hour drive. Next time we'll stay longer in Tulamben.

Our plan was to move to someplace along the eastern shore of Bali and use that as a base for a couple days of diving Nusa Penida, in hopes of seeing mola molas. I had picked out a resort at Candidasa, which seemed like a good place to use for the day trips across to Nusa Penida. It was OK, but the accommodations weren't quite what I had expected. We stayed at the Bali Shangrila Beach Club, which turned out to be a sort of condo-resort place with a largely Australian/New Zealander ownership and clientele. It was comfortable enough (and the food as quite good) but it was a bit too "programmed" for my tastes - the rooms are all clustered around the (small) central courtyard with pool and restaurant, and they had some sort of live music and/or other activities in the restaurant every night, which I wasn't really in the mood for.

The next day we were scheduled to dive Nusa Penida with Aquamarine Divers. The goal, of course, was to see mola molas, which all indications seemed to suggest was likely: we were there at the optimal time (or so everyone said) and Nusa Penida is the most reliable place to see them. So I built in 1-2 days into our dive schedule for mola molas. I know that there's no guarantee with nature, so I figured we would dive the first day in hopes of seeing them. If the Mola molas were a no-show the first day, we could try again the next day. But if we were lucky and we saw the mola molas on the first day, we might be ready for a break from the diving at that point - we would had been on Bali for almost a week at that point and had been diving 2-3 times every day (after a grueling series of flights from the US) and had done nothing else, so I figured we might be ready to give the diving a rest and do some topside activities.

...continued in next post...

...continued from previous post...

The driver from Aquamarine Divers picked us up at our hotel on time (a big, substantial van - these guys are a very well-organized, well-equipped operation) and after picking up another couple in town, drove us to Padangbai, where we got on their boat. The boat was by far the largest and best-equipped boat we were on for the entire trip (although it was just the 4 of us divers). The boat was big and fast - which turned out to be a good thing, because the crossing to Nusa Penida was rough - plowing through the swells was a constant series of slam - slam - BAM! At times I was afraid I was going to lose a tooth from the pounding the boat was taking.

When we got to Nusa Penida, the first dive was on the "outside", for reasons which didn't seem clear. We were all there to see mola molas, but we didn't head straight for the obvious places to see them (e.g. Crystal Bay). Instead, we started in a ripping current, and a dive that - in retrospect - didn't make any sense and resulted in a minor accident.

We jumped in and started to go down, and as soon as I did the current started taking me away. I was doing OK (I had been in strong currents before) but I looked over at my wife and could see she was having some trouble. She was signaling she was having a problem as she was trying to descend. I figured she was having trouble equalizing and signaled for to go up a bit, relax, equalize and try again slowly. She kept signaling she was having trouble so I swam to her and took her by the arm. She was pointing to her eyes and making the "I'm having trouble" signal. Earlier in the week I had made the mistake of applying some sunscreen to my forehead before a dive - of course, as soon as I went underwater, the sunscreen ran down into my eyes and it stung badly, so I spent that dive cursing myself and waiting for my eyes to stop stinging (they didn't until I as out of the water). Since my wife was pointing to her eyes and obviously having trouble, I assumed she had made the same mistake. I held her by the arm and trued to reassure her and to get her to calm down but she kept pointing to her eyes and signaling "trouble". The divemaster came over and took her by the other arm. he signaled to me that I should continue the dive, descend and join the other 2 divers below, who were rapidly being carried off down-current. He indicated he would take my wife back up and help her. I was torn - I didn't want to get separated from her, but the 2 other divers were getting further away, and it seemed like she would be OK f she went up a bit and worked out what was wrong. Reluctantly, I agreed, let go of her arm, and descended as I watched the DM and her slowly ascending. I saw the boat come over and meet them, after which she apparently had aborted the dive. The DM descended and caught up to us. I pointed up to the boat and asked if everything was OK and the DM indicated yes.

We (the divemaster, me, and the other couple) continued the dive. It was kind of a crazy dive after that: the current was really strong, so we pretty much just zoomed along over the reef moving quite fast. At times we would try and get behind a rock or other outcropping to beat the current, but it was just too strong. So we just rode the current for another 30 minutes or so until it was time to surface.

Once I got back in the boat, I looked over at my wife. She was sitting down, slumped over, with her eyes closed. She looked kind of beat up and out of things. The boat driver and helper looked a bit uncomfortable and didn't meet my gaze. Hmmm.

I removed my gear and went over to my wife to take a good look and see how she was doing. She had a dark purple bruise all around her eyes - shaped like her mask - and when she opened her eyes, I could see the white parts were filled with blood. She said that her eyes hurt, and she had been having trouble seeing! Uh-oh. I had a pretty good idea what had happened: mask squeeze. I took a small soft cloth I had brought along (actually a baby diaper, I use if to wipe off my camera lens) and soaked it in cold water and applied that to her eyes. The cold compress seemed to make her eyes feel better. I had her lay down in the shade and kept putting cold compresses on her eyes.

She told me that as she was descending, she suddenly couldn't see anything - everything went black, even though she had her eyes open. She had apparently forgotten anything she had once learned about mask squeeze, and didn't realize what was happening (afterwards, when she realized that it all could have been avoided if she had simply exhaled a tiny puff of air into her mask, that only added insult to injury - literally). I took care of her as best I could (just renewing the cold compresses every few minutes) and had her lay down and rest. When she opened her eyes, she said she could see again, but was still obviously quite uncomfortable and somewhat freaked-out. Fortunately, there was no mirror on the boat, so she couldn't see the blood in her eyes (at least not yet). The boat motored over to Crystal Bay for the surface interval.

After about an hour, it was time for the 2nd dive. My wife was clearly not feeling up to it, so she stayed on board to lay down and continue cooling her eyes. The rest of us did a dive in Crystal Bay, hoping to see the mola molas that some other divers had reportedly seen there. There were about 10 boats moored there, and a handful of divers in the water (not as many as I would have expected). The water was quite cold - surprisingly so - but I had heard that's what the mola molas like, so I shrugged it off.

After about 5 minutes in the water, I turned around and spotted a mola mola off in the distance. It was maybe 5 feet from end to end, and some distance away, deeper than me. I started moving towards it, and it swam away, down into the deeper, colder water. Dang. Well, I figured that at least I got to see one. I swam around for a bit - there wasn't much else to see there - and about 10 minutes later, turned around the see a second mola mola, this one was bigger (maybe about 8-10 feet from end to end, closer to me. I swam towards it and managed to get fairly close before it turned and started swimming away. I managed to get a few photos.

What amazing (and bizarre) creatures - they really are crazy looking, like some mistake of evolution! On the way back to the boat I encounterd some really dense schools of small, orange fish. Otherwise, there wasn't too much to see on this dive - but I was glad to have had the close encounter with that big mola mola. I got back in the boat and continud to look affter my wife, who was starting to look and feel a little better. Her eyes still had blood in them, but the bright purple mask-shaped bruise around her eyes was starting to become a slighly less-intense shade of purple. When she opened her eyes she said she was able to see OK, which I took as positive signs.

Once the boat dropped us off back in Padangbai, she went into a bathrom and got a look at herself in a mirror - and she freaked out a bit. I can't say that I blame her, the bloody eyes did look pretty scary. I tried to reassure her, and told her that I had seen divers with this before (which is true) and that I thought it would just get better on its own with some time (which is also true). When we got back to the hotel, I called the DAN hotline to be sure (we have their dive insurance package); it took a while to get through (it must have been the middle of the night in the eastern USA where they are), but I spoke with a nice, helpful dive medicine specialist who was also a dive instructor, who confirmed what I had thought - and what I had done. Yes, she assured us, it looked scary, but in time it would heal by itself without any other intervention. Cold compresses (like I had started on the boat) were the only thing that would really help. No, you can't (and should not) use any kind of eye drops - that would only irritate things and make matters worse (my wife didn't want to hear that - she wanted a quick fix so she didn't look so scary, which I can understand). The DAN staffer also said my wife could continue diving, but of course she should be careful not to get into a mask-squeeze situation again and further hurt things. She also said that she would be OK to fly - which was a relief, since we were planning to fly to Sulawesi in a few days. So we decided not to dive the next day (I had already seen my mola molas, and she wasn't going diving for a few days regardless). We relaxed and hung out at the hotel for another day.

After more than a week on Bali diving constantly, we got a taxi and went inland to Ubud, and and spent a few days there, relaxiing topside, sightseeing and shopping. We kept applying cold compresses to my wife's eyes and they started to get better. The bruising went completely away after a day or two. The blood in her eyes began to disappate slowly; she wore sunglasses a lot. We liked Ubud, by the way - I'd recommend it as a nice topside destination (and a great place for shopping).

A few days later we flew to Manado for the second part of our Indonesia dive trip on Sulawesi...

On August 29, 2007, we flew from Bali to north Sulawesi. We had a morning flight from Denpasar to Manado (via Makassar) on Garuda Airlines. The flight was fairly uneventful, although it was late leaving Denpasar and even later leaving Makassar. It seems like domestic flying in Indonesia is more akin to what I expect from bus service (crowds push their way through the various checkpoints and gates - no such thing as an orderly line), and schedules are largely ignored. When we arrived in Manado, we took a taxi to the Hotel Santika.

I picked the Hotel Santika because it appeared to be the closest major resort to the dive sits around Bunaken National Marine Park. We liked the hotel a lot: the facilities were very nice, the staff attentive, the food was very good. All in all I'd recommend staying there to anyone. The on-sight dive op, Thalassa Divers was great. Diving was from larger wooden boats. Usually we had anywhere from 6-10 divers on the boats, and the dive sites were indeed close - some as close as 5 minutes, maybe 20 minutes to the furthest sites.

The marine environment around Bunaken was very healthy and we saw all sorts of creatures; lots of small fish, turtles, eels, sea snakes, frogfish, scorpionfish, many lionfish, lots of nudibranches, all sorts of crutaceans (I did a great night dive there where I saw so many lobsters it made me want to go back and have dinner). The dive operation was run very, very well. Pretty good pre-dive briefings, all local divemasters. Rental equipment was good.

I started diving the next day. After some initial worries (she still had some blood in her eyes, although each day it got a little better), my wife stared diving the day after that. These were some of the best dives we've ever done - the visibility was always good (60 feet or more), and every dive had interesting things to see. The reefs seems quite healthy almost everywhere (just a few patches where the coral seemed dead or damaged). I saw very little evidence of trash in the water or on the land (by comparison, there was a lot of trash everywhere on Bali, although I saw very little trash underwater). We dove 3 days there - wish we could have stayed longer, and would love to go back sometime. We spent our last day there offgassing before our flights, hanging out by the pool and relaxing.

The next day we got up early for our flights - it would be a long day. We had tickets on Lion Air back to Bali, where we wold pick up half our luggage (we had left a bunch of stuff at the airport), before we flew on to Bangkok. The Lion Air flights were OK, although they, too were late in departing (and even later after the stop in Makassar). We arrved back in Denpasar shortly after noon. Our outbound flight to Bangkok departed later in the afternoon, so rather than killing 3 hours in the airport, we grabbed a taxi and went shopping in Kuta for a while. We returned to the airport later that afternoon, collected all our bags, checked in for our flight, and flew off to Bangkok, which began our 2 1/2 weeks in Thailand (but that's a separate story...).

In summary, I would say this was by far the best dive trip I've ever done. We are now quit spolied, which does worry me a bit. :wink: We got used to seeing plentiful and extraordinary creatures, and having all our needs taken care of for us, in very comfortable resorts. The Mimpi Menjangen in particular was a highlight, as was the Hotel Santika. The diving was really, really great pretty much everywhere, especially at Menjangen, Tulamben and Bunaken. I would highly recommend a visit to any of these places - we had a wonderful time and I bet you would, too.

There you go - my first trip report. I hope others find this useful. :D

great report. next time north sulawesi, you should do bunaken, bangka island and lembeh.
thats a unique dive area combination, walls of bunaken, softcorals and macro in bangka and critter black sand diving in lembeh.
check out blue bay divers, from here you can make all three areas, cause its just in the middle of all.
Blue Bay Divers | Home
or just email me: info@bluebaydivers.de
thanks anke

Great trip report! A little too much time spent travelling to places for me but hey, divers are a weird bunch =). We'll travel obscenely long distances to dive one site =)

I strongly suggest you spend more time in Tulamben next time. My friends and I stayed at Tauch Terminal (they are currently undergoing renovations but should be back in business by the end of March 08) for about a week and we throughly enjoyed our stay. The Liberty wreck is great. Our guide managed to spot a pygmy seahorse on a yellow sea fan while we were there =) Took my friends and I bit of peering and signalling but we finally manged to catch sight of the critter.

Try out the wall dive at Tulamben next time too. That was a great experience for us. The wall is chock full of hard and soft corals and loads of little critters to peer at. Guidebooks direct you to the 2 metre wide purple gorgonian at about 20 metres down. It's wonderful but since then, I've spotted more and larger gorgonians (*ahem*Similan Islands)

Anyway, glad that the both of you enjoyed your trips an dkeep diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom