Denpasar to Manado flights??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks -

Can't seem to get either the Garuda or LionAir websites to tell me this ... are their flights between Denpasar and Manado available on an every day basis? I put in a few dates and got a positive return, but does anyone know if they fly round trip EVERY day?

And one more question ... if we depart from LAX for Denpasar with our 2 x 50 lbs baggage allowance from our originating DEN-LAX flight, are we going to get bottlenecked down to 20 kilos each from Denpasar to Manado? Any special allowance on that route for tavelers carrying scuba gear?

Thanks for any info!

hi highdessert,
there is an everyday flight garuda, start around 9.00 oclock in denpasar, stop in ujung pandang (makassar) and landing asound 12.30 in manado. the flight back to denpasar starts around 13.00 oclock, stop in ujung pandang again and landing around 17.30 in denpasar. thats the actual schedule. there is lion air as well but i dont know the schedules from them. ask your dive operator in manado to make the flight booking for you (from indonesia its more cheaper then from outside) garuda has ETIX, so no problem to pick up the ticket in bali with the bookingcode.
we do that always for our guests coming in from bali or jakarta.
garuda has 20k limit. you also can not book an extra 10k. but if you are nice and friendliy at the check in in bali, they are mostly flexible. if you have to pay overweight, its not too much per kilo.
hope that helps. have fun in north sulawesi
anke
Blue Bay Divers | Home

I often use this site for checking flights when planning a trip within Indonesia, usually it's pretty correct. According to that site, both airlines fly daily from Denpasar to Manado (Garuda leaves at 0855 hrs and Lion Air at 2220 hrs) as well as from Manado to Denpasar (Garuda at 1315 hrs and Lion Air at 0645 hrs).

If you each have 1-50lbs=23kilos...you should be ok....I had 38 kilos and flew Garuda, Lion and Merpati in January....I got charged on every flight and no one cared about my scuba card!

Thanks for the replies ... pretty much as I guessed, so onward!

To clarify, does the 20 kg limit pertain only to checked baggage, or does it also include carry-ons?

Last Nov Garuda DPS/MDC no additional scuba weight allowance. On the return I got weight allowance. So their actual policy was somewhat unclear. Just plan on paying overweight once you fly domestic. Lion is ok but I prefer Garuda where possible.

I heard Garuda had a Scuba allowance....I was in this airport called Ballipakin (sp) and argued with the counter people as my luggage was overweight. Finally a supervisor brought an operations manual (in english) and showed the only allowance they had was for surfboards....had to pay the overage!

As for as I am aware they didn't have a scuba allowance. We where about 5KG over wheight and we are to tight to pay the extra, in the end I wore my BCD on to the plane and had my reg in my carry on.

As for daily flights, then as far as I am awar they do have them. If I remeber rightly the flight from Denpassar flies to Some place in south sulawesi first, you then have about 1hr stop over then fly onwards to Manado.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom