Big Trip Indonesia- Part 2 –Alor & Lembeh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Big Trip Indonesia- Part 2 –Alor, Palu, Lembeh, -Aug/Sept 09
Part of a 65 day adventure diving Indonesia.

After diving Palau Weh & Bali it was time to head further a field to a place I had never been before.

ALOR

Alor is fairly remote & not so easy to get to which generally means less divers & better diving. It is to the East of Flores, just above Timor. I flew from Bali to Kupang with Garuda and had to overnight in Kupang before flying to Alor the next day with Transnusa. Although both of these flights are short (75 mins & 50 mins) it is difficult to get good connections to complete the journey in 1 day. I paid excess baggage only one way on the Transnusa flights, the allowance to/from Alor is only 15 Kgs. Hand baggage was not checked for weight. Alor airport is very small. I think there is only 1 flight per day. Both of our Transnusa flights were delayed. The outward flight by 2hrs, the return by 3.5 hrs. Kupang airport has free Wifi.

I stayed in the Bahtera Indah hotel ($25) in Kupang. This hotel was fine; the room was clean & comfortable for 1 night. No-one spoke English & I got the impression not many foreigners stay here. Hospitality was a throw back to the good old days; evening tea & breakfast was delivered to your room. The hotel had a nice outdoor cafe area that had a nice view during sunset. The other more exp hotels ($60-70) were all full.

After arriving in Alor it was a 30 min car journey followed by 30 min boat journey to get to the Alor Divers Eco resort
The Alor divers eco resort is more expensive than the other two dive Ops in Alor.

I stayed 7 nights (6 dive days) which cost 860 Euros. This included 2 daily boat dives, unlimited house reef dives & full board. Domestic flights from Bali-Kupang (with Garuda) -Alor- Kupang- Surabaya(with Batavia) cost $250, which I arranged in Bali using KCBJ travel agency. (The Transnusa flights cost approx $130.)

The Resort

The resort is on a fantastic white sandy beach on Pantar Island.
1. View from resort
3877865590_8d24b13569.jpg

If you did not dive this would still be a great place to visit to relax. There are 8 or 9 bungalows spread out just off the beach. The bungalows were nice & new and had fan, hot water & veranda with a hammock. Nice shampoo, shower gel, soap & toothpaste were provided.

2. Accom
3877871862_30f20b10e1.jpg

There was no problem with electricity supply. I also got a big bucket in my bungalow to wash/rinse my camera housings. The resort also offered a free laundry service. Meals were nice and the main course was always fish/tuna based. Soup was also served in the evenings.

During the week there were only 6 guests in total, of which only 4 were diving. For 2 days it was just me & the guide diving. The resort has two speed boats but they are currently only using 1 for diving so the resort currently limits the number of divers to approx 6 or 7. The dive guides were the French owner & a Japanese guide.
The resort definitely has the small friendly feel. (The only bad thing to report; there was no Wifi or internet so I was not able to follow England winning the Ashes in the 5th test!!!!)

The Diving

The weather was great all week, sunny blue skies with a few clouds. It was not humid and was actually cool in the evenings, no need for the fan. Topside conditions were great, the surface was flat, it was basically like diving in a lake most of the week. On the surface you could see how strong the current was. At some locations it was like a river on the surface Water temps varied from 21-28 C. Basically the sites to the south of Pura Island were all cold 21-24 C. The sites to the north were warm 26-28 I was ok in a 3mm + vest+5mm hood at the colder sites. The resort has a powerful speedboat and the max travel time to the dive sites was generally 30-40 mins. Other sites were closer. There appeared to be lots of dive sites around with different types of diving offered. Some walls, slopes, black sand, fast current dives, gentle drift dives.

I did 3 dives a day. One morning boat dive followed by a house reef dive then an afternoon boat dive. I did 1 night dive on the house reef & 18 dives in total.
The house reef was good. The viss was best in the mornings so it was the norm to dive here before lunch. The house reef was a slope then wall with great corals, sponges & good reef fish life. There were a couple of pigmy sea horses & several Nudis. There was also a small area of sea grass & mangrove for snorkeling.
3. House reef
3869944693_6e60756f87.jpg

There were no other dive boats at any of the sites all week. Only a few small fishing boats & some small outriggers that the locals were using to spear fish.
Some of the site had wicked current. We only did 1 dive actually looking for fast current & it was ripping. Other sites were chosen based getting the sunlight on the wall & avoiding big current. I think there are some “famous” sites (Karls Dream) that are rarely dived due to the strong current On 1 dive we encountered strong down current. Our bubbles were being pulled downwards. This was quiet a scary moment hanging onto the reef and seeing bubbles being dragged down to the depths. There were approx 4 dives that we had to hold onto rocks due to the current, a reef hook may be useful here.

One of the main highlights was the unbelievable viss.
4. Reef
3869940579_ae3be6cd9f.jpg

The viss varied from 25 to 40+ m
My first dive at Alor was Red sand beach. It was only myself & the guide in the water The viss was the best I have ever seen. It was an amazing dive, probably the best one of the 18 dives.
Most of the sites were walls or slopes. The coral/reef was fantastic. Some of the most colourful reefs I have ever seen. There were some massive coral/sponge structures & lots of small colourful reef fish. During one of the wall dives a small (approx 4m) whale shark swam past approx 15 m below us while most of the group were looking for small stuff on the wall. I was so surprised I did not manage to get a photo. This was the exception. Generally there was not a lot of fish life out in the blue water during most of the gentle drift dives. Only on the fast current dive was there a lot of fish life in the blue water. During the fast current dive we saw approx 5 Black tips, grey reef shark, school of Barracuda, Tuna, Wahoo, Bumperhead parrot fish & Jacks. However due to the current it was impossible to get any photos. Infact having a camera on that dive was not a good idea & I only have a small set up.
The boat crew saw a Mola Mola surface while we were diving at one of the colder sites. We did not see it underwater. It was reported that there are regular surface sighting of MM at one of the sites to the south of Pantar Island, perhaps there is a cleaning station here?

5. Stone fish
3869928291_7a58a982c0.jpg

Alor is a great dive location. The reefs are really colourful with good reef fish life. The viss was fantastic and basically you never know what may swim by in the blue water. The 2 macro dives were a bit hit & miss. One was good and the other was not.
Underwater highlights WHALE SHARK!!!, mandarin fish, pigmy seahorse, blacktips, barracuda, wahoo, tuna, bumperhead parrot fish, blue ribbon eels, free swimming ribbon eel, 3 sea snakes, lots of scorpion fish , stone fish, orangutan crab, several Nudis, great sponges, sea horse, Rhinopias…. (It’s a big list)

Summary

I really enjoyed my time in Alor & would have liked to have stayed longer. Definitely some of the best reef diving I have done in Indonesia. Taking into account the general ease of travel (Compared to R4) and the cost, I would rate Alor very highly in terms of value for money for a great/relaxing diving holiday.
Recommended season to visit is Oct-Nov (Also reported to be whale season) & then April/May. I was very lucky regarding surface conditions/weather, great viss & the whale shark sighting. Alor has some great reef dives, unfortunately most of the blue water big fish action is also on the ripping current dives.

The Alor divers resort was a great place to relax and do some high quality diving. I would recommend this place and I hope to return sometime soon. I would probably rate this place as my 2nd favourite dive resort, it was that good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palu

Next stop was the Prince John resort in Palu. I flew from Surabaya (Flight cost $70 with Batavia)
I was intending to spend 1 week here. I left after only 1 night. I did not dive. I did not care for the resort, the facilities or the service I received. (There were many factors why I left. I am not going to list them on an open forum. Anyone thinking about a trip here can PM me if they want specifics)
I regret flying to Palu.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lembeh
I managed to quickly arrange 10 days in North Sulawasi. I had to fly from Palu back to Surabaya then up to Manado.
There is enough info in these forms on the diving in this area so I will keep this section short. I stayed 10 nights at NAD

NAD Lembeh
Great diving, great resort, great value. This is my 3rd visit to NAD. They now have free Wi-fi which is a nice addition. Underwater highlights that I had not seen before wonderpus, stargazers + all the other typical Lembeh highlights.
3889992464_83c8d360b5.jpg

Nudi falls, critter hunt & coral garden are really fantastic dive sites. Some of the black sand muck dives were a little dull this time round. The white sand/rocky dives with a bit of coral were much more enjoyable.

3889992474_8f03c433ef.jpg

3886220845_2e657c105c.jpg

Tip- I used my 7/5mm suit here. Water temp was 27 C, however the dives are long with not much movement so it is easy to get cold. I was happy with the Inon UCL wet lens i used with my G9.

(I have added some more photos at the following link)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin_ella/sets/

Next stop Komodo & Ambon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts.
Wowed by the blue ribbon eel at Lembeh! Fantastic!

Kev, thanks for the great report. I'm thinking about a liveaboard to Alor next year. I'd be interested in hearing how you'd compare Alor to Komodo.

Kevster...great report on Alor. I've looked at going before....but I hear the waters can be cool around 23 or 24 celius. What were the temps when you were there?

Kev, thanks for the great report. I'm thinking about a liveaboard to Alor next year. I'd be interested in hearing how you'd compare Alor to Komodo.

Hi rc, I know you didn't ask me but, having been to Alor once and Komodo twice, I figured I'd weigh in.

My experience in Alor, was similar, diving wise, to Kevin's-mostly exceptional viz, tons of fish, very healthy marine environment, colder in the South, warmer in the North, plenty of big stuff in the high current areas and lots of good small stuff.

As for a comparison with Komodo, I'd say the viz was definitely better in Alor. The only places I had good viz in Komodo was on the sea mounts up North-Crystal Bommie, GP-at Banta and at Batu Tiga. The water was definitely warmer up North, like Alor, and the big stuff was also found almost exclusively in areas with strong to moderate currents. I found the critter variety to be better in Alor, though my dive guide there was very good at finding critter habitat and spotting them.

There is an interesting paradox between the two places: Alor has more of it's population in closer proximity to many of the sites than Komodo, but I saw more big stuff like sharks, tuna, dolphins, giant trevally in Alor. Most of Komodo's dive sites, by contrast are in a national park and I saw little or no evidence of settlements on the islands outside of Labuan Bajo. But, I saw many more fishing boats in Komodo and they came from farther away, according to the LOB crew. We came upon a small boat from Malaysia and had just caught a very good sized giant trevally. My guess is that the lack of locals nearby actually makes it easier for non locals to fish/poach. Alor is not a national park, but I don't think the locals would put up with many non locals coming in to fish in their territory as they would likely be spotted.

As for LOBs in Alor, I have read many more negative reviews of a place like Kal's dream by LOB divers, than good ones. I simply don't think they have local knowledge to get the timing right, or to be up on the latest conditions. I dived Kal's twice, both great dives, the afternoon dive was one of my top 10 of all time and neither dive bore any resemblance to the barren rock it was described as by multiple LOB divers in recent years. I can't see a need to dive Alor by LOB as most of the good sites are near to land based dive ops. This is defintely not the case in Komodo as Labuan Bajo is a long day away from the farthest sites.

If I am right, and Komodo's park status and isolation allows for more outside, non local fishing pressure, it might explain why I saw fewer pelagics and sharks there and the only big stuff seen with any regularity is mantas. -Andy

Back
Top Bottom