Big Trip Indonesia- Part 3 -Komodo & Ambon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Big Trip Indonesia- Part 3 -Komodo & Ambon
Part of a 65 day adventure diving Indonesia.
KOMODO
Next up was a 7 day live-aboard trip to Komodo onboard The Felicia. The trip was organized by Reef,Wreck & Critter based in Tulamben, Bali. The trip was an underwater photography workshop run by Jeff & Dawn Mullins.
All up it cost approx $1900 for a weeks diving, return flights from Bali to LB, 1 night hotel accom in Bali & national park fees. The trip was planned based on the weather & tidal charts to ensure we got the best of conditions.
The Boat
I have been on several live-aboards but they have all been high budget, top notch boats. This was my first budget live-aboard. At first I felt a little uncomfortable. There was not much space.
The Felicia is a relatively new boat (approx 5 years old). We had 11 guests onboard. Max capacity is 12. I shared a small bunk cabin with 1 other, with onsuite toilet,shower. The cabins were small and had a slight odour. The a/c worked well. It was a bit noisy when the generator started and mega noisy when the boat engine started. There was not a lot of space to store clothes, camera stuff in the rooms. Also the water was never really hot in the showers.
3957315467_7c4a06d73d.jpg

The dive deck was also the eating/social area. Again not too much room for camera gear or charging facilities. To get to the cabins you had to walk through the galley area where the crew were preparing food. Seeing the food preparation never gave me an appetite.
All our meals were served outdoors. The upper deck had some sun loungers. The food was average. Some of the meals were ok, but some were poor. Ok enough negative stuff. By the end of the week I was really enjoying being on the boat. All the minor stuff were not really problems, especially as the group we had on board were a great bunch of people. Basically the money I saved doing a budget live-aboard compared to the high budget boats paid for my 10 night stay at Lembeh. Overall I was satisfied with the boat & felt it was very good value for money.
The Diving
The diving was fantastic!!!!
Conditions were perfect. Flat calm seas in the North & an easy steam down to the south. The south was colder and windy at Cannibal rock but surface conditions were still ok. There was hardly any current all week. The trip was superbly planned based on tide tables. The water was also warmer than expected. 28 C in the north & 26 C in the south. On one dive it dropped to 25 C in a thermocline.
The North
3 Days diving. The highlight was definitely Castle & Crystal rock. These sites are great. We had excellent viss at least 30 m. At castle rock I saw two dolphins 4 times on 1 dive. There were several sharks, white tips, black tips, several Napoleon,barracuda, turtles, GTs & tunas hunting smaller fish. There was generally a lot of fish, some really big fish.
The Middle
1 day on the way to the south we dove Batu Bolong twice. This was an average wall dive. Several nudis , a few whitetips, Napoleon.
3957271553_feeac1a0e8.jpg

The South
3 Days diving in the bay at south Rincha. Sites Cannibal rock, Yellow wall, Torpedo alley, Boulders.
The diving here was very different to the North. The viss dropped to 15m and the water was had a greenish colour. The diving here was fantastic. The first dive at Cannibal rock was amazing. There was so much fish and amazing colourful reef. It was a bit like diving in a botanical garden. There were lots of Nudis.

The only real negative things were the guides. The local guides were not great. Only on a few occasions would they try to point out critters underwater. At first I did not mind this. In the north most of the action is big fish, reef so I was more than happy to dive away from the guides. However in the south it was more macro and the guides could have done a lot better.
Unfortunately we did not see any mantas (we did not dive manta alley) and there was no current in the north at the site where mantas are commonly encountered.
We also did not dive the End of the world site at the South of Komodo so perhaps this is a good reason to return to Komodo.
Underwater highlights Dolphins, turtles, sharks (Black/white tips), Napoleons, sea snakes, frog fish, lots of Nudis, sea apples!!!, lots & lots of fish.
Topside highlights – Cruising around the stunning island on flat calm seas & sunny blue skies. Komodo dragons on Cannibal rock beach.
(Safety Tip- Komodo dragons appear further away than they actually are through a 10-20 mm lens!!!!)
3957296451_260e5e6497.jpg

Land Based V Liveaboard
Last year I done Komodo with a land based operator. 4 days diving the North & middle of the marine park. Obviously the live-aboard is generally the better diving option but there was not a lot of difference between the stuff I saw in the North. In fact I would say the land based experience was just as good in the North as the live-aboard. It is just a lot more convient to dive from a live-aboard as there are many sites that should be done more than once. The southern sites are really great & this is where the live-aboard really makes all the difference.
I would strongly recommend anyone thinking about diving Komodo to go with a live-aboard option.

Summary
Komodo is an amazing place. I have never seen so many big reef fish & fish hunting action. The reefs are really good & viss can also be great in the North. Travelling around the various islands on an Indonesian schooner is also a great experience. Personally my experience at Komodo was better than my trip to Papua in terms of the diving & in terms of reef diving I would say it is the best diving in Indonesia. The variety between the North & south is amazing. I will remember my 1st dive at cannibal rock for a long time.

Castle rock in the north & Cannibal rock in the south are world class sites.

AMBON
Next stop was a week in Ambon. I flew to Ambon direct from Surabaya with Batavia. Return flights cost approx $250. Maluku divers were in the process of opening their new resort & I was going to stay during their soft opening. A weeks diving/accom/full board was $1000 (This was a discounted rate. When the resort opens it will be expensive, approx $250/night). Unfortunately the resort was not ready and we were put up in a local hotel Tirta Kencana (approx $25/night)near Ambon city. The hotel was sufficient, with a good selection of food & easy access to most of the dive sites.
The new Maluku divers resort looks nice. The location is very close to the Laha dive sites and only a few hundred meters from the Pier dive.

I went just at the start of the Ambon dive season. The normal season runs from Oct-Apr. The weather was decent, no rain during the day, not much wind, sunny with clouds.
Water temps was 27/26 C most of the time but dropped to 24 C on one of the dives.
Visibility was disappointing, approx 15 m.
The Diving
I was really looking forward to diving here and perhaps my expectations were too high Ambon is famous for the Muck diving and there are a few legendary sites.
The Reef Dives
We spent a couple of days diving reef/wide angle dives. 1 day to the north , 1 day to the south. The highlight was a site called Pintu Kola. A large arch/cave with lots of nice fans. Definitely a good wide angle dive. The other reefs dives were ok. A few Napoleons, a couple of black tips. Generally good reef dives but nothing too special.

The Wreck Dive
There is a large world war II wreck (The Dragonfly). The wreck is nice and should be dived on a visit to Ambon. Viss was average ,15m, and there were a few holds to enter. Not to much stuff on the wreck but still a good dive. There was a massive group of catfish at one of the doors at the stern.

The Muck Dives
The muck dives were really mucky. The famous site Laha 1-2(aka the Twilight zone) was something else. It is difficult to imagine anyone wanting to dive here. The water is dirty . & there is so much trash on the bottom, you are diving under large fishing boats with their engines running & viss can drop to a few meters. Saying that it is an AMAZING/UNIQUE site. There is just so much stuff there. Lots of mandarin fish/car tires, loads of morays/batteries, tons of boxer shrimps/plastic, big groups of razor fish/dead fish, lots of scorpion fish/sanitary items, stone fish/fishing lines, lion fish/junk, frog fish/Mr Burns toxic waste.
3957380481_d4aaf33d3a.jpg

Everywhere you look there was stuff to see.

At Rhinocity I saw 2 really nice Rhinopias (white & yellow). Laha II was the best muck dive site. It is really amazing that you see so much stuff in such a small area in these dives.

On the opposite side of the bay there were several slopes/wall, macro dives. These were pretty good and the water was clean. A hammerhead was seen on one of the dives (not by me). The highlight was a site called NudiKingdom. This was an amazing dive. So many nudis. I have never seen anything like it, including Nudi falls in Lembeh. There were Nudis everywhere. I would estimate I saw at least 40 in a 60 min dive. Prob about 10 different kinds. NudiKingdom was definitely one of the highlights of the week.
3957375149_c751654fdd.jpg

Underwater highlights- Too many to mention. It is just a real shame that some of the sites are really polluted. There was also current as some of the muck dives that made photography tricky.

Summary

The muck dives were great/unbelievable but too mucky. Laha II and NudiKingdom are amazing sites.

(I have added some more photos at the following link)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin_ella/sets/

Trip summary
After 65 days & 108 dives I can highly recommend a trip to Indonesia. The majority of the dive locations offer good/great diving at a great price.

Palau Weh -6/10 – Nice topside, undeveloped Indonesia. Ok diving.
Bali- 8/10 – Fantastic diving. Great variety. Very under-rated dive location.
Alor- 8/10 – Great relaxing resort on a fantastic beach. Very good diving. Fantastic viss.
Lembeh -9/10- Amazing place. My favourite place to dive.
Komodo – 9.5/10 – IMHO the best diving in Indonesia. Best done on a Live-aboard
Ambon – 9/10- The muckiest of all the muck diving. Some “unbelievable” dives sites.

3957294787_1d4f37e160.jpg

Anyway time to dry out in Nepal.
K.

Last edited:
Great trip report and very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

I couldn't agree more that Laha is the muckiest of the muck dive and it's still my top macro critter hunt site. So, they named the new site NudiKingdom? Will be back in a week time ... can't wait!!

Btw, were you on the same boat with my friends ... Phil and gang? Think GX was the one who saw the great hammerhead ..

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

Excellent report and pictures Kevster! It left me wanting to read more. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Thanks for another report Kevster.

Hey, I know exactly where that Komodo dragon picture was taken! Cannibal Rock is amazing isn't it? We had amazing weather there that day and we saw it all on the first, best vis, dive. Big ray, sharks, big frogfish, eels, big mantis shrimp, and millions of golden sweepers on the top of the reef in the sunlit water. Yes, Komodo is great diving.

good to hear the rest of your trip went well. I dove Laha 4 and 5 hours a day for three weeks.... talk about nasty ear infections after that :) very muck.. nice description though! no dead chickens or dogs or goats? very unlucky for you! :)

Hello Kevin, thanks of the reports and pictures.

In Ambon, did you do any dives on any of the 3 islands on the South West coast? I thought they were at least as good as the arches and there were more pelagics at the 3 islands. And did you go to Seram? We also had very good diving there, it was worth the extra cost for the fuel.

I'm also wondering if there's still a lot of plastic in the waters outside of the bay. Our dive op told us this was only because they had heavy rains the week before we arrived, but the situation did not improve during the 12 days we were there. The amount of plastic in the water was my number 1 problem and the only thing that would keep me from going again, as I thought the flora and fauna were really great... -Andy

Kev - I always love reading your reports. I'm a big surprised that you didn't like Batu Bolong. When I was there, it was at least as good as Crystal/Castle rocks.

The pic you have with the Moral with boxer shrimp in its mouth is excellent!

Question: how does Fiji compare to all this?

Kevster

Great report and the usual top shots, I just came back from Bali via Lembongan and Penida. Diving is pretty fab down there if you like the drift dives. Just a question, how come you bypassed Bunaken having gone to Lembeh? I would have been keen to hear your report of Bunaken.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom