Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolsarinah

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi. Looking for a live aboard that is small and not a party boat. Since we will only go once how would you divide a 3 week trip in terms of live aboard and land. Any ideas on the land?

We like to dive nitrox and wonder who makes that available.

Also, best time of year??

Thanks

Carol

Not sure if we would say that any of the boats going out to Raja qualify as party boats but if your looking for the most intimate boat going out there with the fewest divers then the Damai would surely be the one as she only takes we believe 8 divers and you get a max 3 divers to a guide. That plus it is one beautiful boat with all the amenities you can think of including massages for in between dives and nitrox and rental gear are included in the price. Here is a link
Welcome To Dive Damai

A lot of other boats carry 18-22 divers but the Tambora is very nice at 16 and it would be hard to go wrong with the Paradise Dancer or City Seahorse all first class boats.

Best time of year for Raja verys but May and Nov. thru Dec are very nice and the boats have different schedules.

You have many options to choose from for before or after the boat. If you fly LAX lets thru Singapore then going thru Manado to Sorong where you would embark on most the boats stopping in Manado for more diving very attractive. You would have your choice between doing some great Muck diving in Lembeh for the awesome little critters and or diving in Bunaken National Park. Google Manado Safaris and Tours to see there website for resorts and info.
Bali is always something to see and would also be easy to arrange so many thib=gs to see and do and one of the most beautiful islands on earth, you could dive up in Tulamben or stay in Ubud to visit the artisans white water raft and get some culture etc.
One someone says they will only go once to Indonesia do not be surprised if you are not planning your next trip before this one has even ended,enjoy:D

Check out Sorido Bay / Kri Eco Resort (up North) or Misool Eco Resort (down South) if you are trying to do some land based diving in RA. I have been to Sorido - phenomenal (as in, go!) and have heard great things about the Misool resort. The liveaboard should be able to drop you off / pick you up from either place if the schedule allows but may have to be done out of Sorong. I second the above...Manado makes a good stopover...get some dives in at Lembeh. From my experience, Bunaken, while nice...is kind of pointless if you are doing RA - just spend your Manado (or N Sulawesi) time in Lembeh. Reason being is that RA has everything Bunaken will have and it's 1000x better (not a knock on Bunaken - it was great and relaxing) in terms of fish, coral, currents, scenery, etc. If you were not headed to RA after I would say, by all means, dive Bunaken...it works great with Lembeh and is quality diving with nice walls and coral, non-existent currents (for the most part) and great viz. Maybe others' opinions are different...

Hello.

there is a new ship starting in june 2010 saling from Bitung North Sulawesi to Halmahera and to Raja Ampat The name of the ship is Mandarin Siren
Check out the site from WORLDWIDE DIVE AND SAIL. We had a trip to komodo with them. Really luxe
and the service is very good

Good advice from NotYetBent. I second what he says. I have been to Missool Eco Resort and it is excellent. New, tasteful, boutique. Not sure if they have Nitrox. I think so.

As for liveaboards. Raja Ampat is not really the kind of place that has 'party' boats. It is visited by reasonably serious divers who tend to be a bit older. You wont find any yahoo backpacker boats here.

Because of the costs of re-location and the fuel costs involved, most of the liveaboards tend to need to be around a 12 person minimum. Smaller boats with fewer guests might not cover the cost of the trip.

This is a good place to look at a range of choices: Raja Ampat liveaboards

Good luck with your plans. Raja Ampat is extraordinary and I am sure you will come back being its number 1 fan. :D

As mentioned, RA isn't for party boats as it's difficult to get to.

Most boats are 11 night boats so that will pretty well dictate. I do diving then land so I don't have to worry about getting sick while on the land part.

Hello!

Raja Ampat is amazing diving. Misool resort and Mandarin Siren are actually offering a great deal on a 7day/7day. This is fantastic way to discover the Raja Ampat and get the best of both world. (Both have Nitrox available!).
When are you planning to go?

For land I would also suggest Sorido resort....been there 3 times in the last two years and going again in November and heard great things about the Dive Damai LOB.

Just wanted to add two more cents. We booked our LOB, the Putiraja, through the team at Sorido Bay / Kri Eco. 7 days at Sorido, 5 on the Putiraja (getting picked up at Sorido so no more travel than necessary). Just an FYI if you're considering Sorido / Kri...they have a policy where you don't dive from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. While I'd rather be diving, of course, they offer a couple of side trips around the area. We checked out the endemic Red Birds of Paradise last year - pretty neat but definitely not for everyone. You may be able to snorkel the reef over at the Kri Eco Resort (about a 10 min walk from Sorido - if you stay there - through the jungle / beach). We did a couple of night dives over there...well worth it with cuttlefish, the biggest nudibranch I've ever seen (almost a foot long), and sure sightings of the RA Walking Shark. That whole area is magic. Also, try to get to The Passage...it's incredible and some of the most unique diving you'll ever do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom