Indonesia-Lembeh Straits-Buyat Bay-Raja Ampat Trip Report 11-1 thru 11-24-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This report will be in two parts, first Lembeh Straits and Buyat Bay. Second part will be Raja Ampat and Singapore.

Arrived at Lembeh Resort and made it in a little less than 90 minutes! Last year there was an overturned truck in the road and the years before major traffic jams and always two plus hours. Weather was near perfect, mid 80’s, couple of overcast days, showers at night otherwise Sunny!

Lembeh Resort: Definitely had a few upgrades in the last year. They have now added a coffee bar/divers lounge next to the dive shop, a Photo Center run by Steve Fish (not many places he has not dove in this world) and a Spa. As I have said in my previous reports the food was excellent and even tasted better this year and again my room was the best. The staff bends over backwards to do anything for you and people I did not think I had seen before…knew my name. I cannot speak more highly of an accommodating staff and the overall resort. One sad note Glenn Knappe the GM was leaving to open a new high end resort in Bali!

The Diving: 7 dive days, 22 dives. Water temps 83 to 85 degrees. Critters@Lembeh is owned by Danny Charlton and his wife, the shop is managed by Kerri and Hergen. There is not a request they will not try to honor. The dive guides I dove with this year were various and most I have dove with before and were excellent as usual. The first couple of days I was budded up with a couple of serious photographers (wanna be pros with their “Big” equipment). I have dove with professional photographers before but one of these guys was arrogant and rude (never works well with me). The dive guide would spend up to 20 minutes or more with each of them and I would end up diving pretty much on my own. I complained that I was solo diving and did not have an eye for the critters as their dive guides did. They assigned a dive guide just for the photo guys. I was then budded up with Manfred and Beate from Austria and Germany. They were great as Manfred was doing Video and had this great light that I could sneak in and get some photos with my Sony point and shoot. I finally saw a wonderpus (a few times) and a Boxer Crab this year. And again saw the Blue ringed octopus, flamboyant cuttlefish, weedy Rhinopias, and many more of the customary critters. One day I had three boat dives plus a 5 am solo dive on the house reef that had to be one of the best dive days I have ever done. We did Hairball 1, Jahir 1 and TK 1. Saw Flamboyant Cuttlefish, Wonderpuses, Long armed Octopuses, Warty, Painted and Hairy Frogfish etc etc.

Overall my experience at Lembeh Resort and diving with Critters@Lembeh was excellent as in the years past. And if any of you have read my previous trip reports you know I am an honest, cynical and a jaded diver….LOL.

Buyat Bay:

I had to do about a 3 hour land transfer to Buyat bay. Unfortunately I was the only diver going to the area and they had already taken a boat down a couple of days before with a group. Thus I met a dive boat not far from Buyat and we did our first dive called first stop on our way down to Buyat bay. This is a relatively new area for diving that Danny who owns Critters@Lembeh has pioneered.

The Accommodations is an old fenced in mining camp. The rooms are basic with AC and Hot water. No Internet but they had HBO! The food was good not like Lembeh Resort but they had great fried chicken!

The diving: After diving in Lembeh Straits for 7 days it was great to see 60+ visibility, water temps 84F to 86F. I found the diving to be very good. Lots of colorful hard corals and one of the largest plate corals I have ever seen. The marine life was healthy plenty of tropical fish, cuttlefish, nudibranchs etc. I had planned only two nights and 8 dives in this area. The second day we ended up being confined to the bay due to a nasty squall that came through thus the visibility was poor and missed a couple of good sites outside the Bay. Poison Island was one of the better dive sites. I do think if you plan to go to Buyat Bay you should plan at least 12 dives.

I’ll post Raja Ampat in the next couple of days.

I am still sorting my photos n haven't even started on my trip report, can I please just park my in this thread when done? :wink:

:depressed:I want to dive Indonesia. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself it is worth the indonesian airline grief. Your reports are slowly convincing me I will have to bite the bullet and just plan and extra day or two for air "surprises" going and comming:cool2:. So many critters that seem routine in Indonesia that are rare to nonexistant anywhere else. Yeah, I gotta add it to my bucket list!

:depressed:I want to dive Indonesia. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself it is worth the indonesian airline grief. Your reports are slowly convincing me I will have to bite the bullet and just plan and extra day or two for air "surprises" going and comming:cool2:. So many critters that seem routine in Indonesia that are rare to nonexistant anywhere else. Yeah, I gotta add it to my bucket list!

Since this thread is re. Buyat - you can reach Manado or other main destination such as Bali, Ujung pandang without indonesian airline. Generally, three major airline Garuda, Indonesia Air Asia and Lion air are reliable.
For remote area, you can't expect too much - even 2-3 days uncertainty may not be sufficient - not very easy to cover large area with more than 17000 islands.

I am still sorting my photos n haven't even started on my trip report, can I please just park my in this thread when done? :wink:

Hey Cat how's that COLD your husband was passing around in Buyat???...I still have my cold!...great meeting up with you there....Hope to see you next year in Indonesia or at least Singapore....and go to the skypark....really cool!

Mmm we so many amazing places to dive in INDO! Thanks for the review. Looking forward to your Raja report.
Just booked a LOB for Raja next year!! Can not wait!

Just posted the Raja Report....my previous reports will probaby describe the diving in the Papua area a little better. Hope you are on a good LOB that knows the area as you will be doing some of the finest diving in the world!

Convincing you to go to Indonesia????....you have to be kidding....that is some of the finest diving in the world. One thing I have found in the last couple of years is Lion and Merpati airlines have become much more reliable and professional. They may only be 30 minutes late now verses 2 to 4 hours as I have experienced in the past!....It is worth ever minute to get there as Winsu says you can get to places like Bali, Manado on Silk Air which is part of Singapore Airlines....In fact I now look at my yearly trip to Palau as being close!...LOL

Hey Cat how's that COLD your husband was passing around in Buyat???...I still have my cold!...great meeting up with you there....Hope to see you next year in Indonesia or at least Singapore....and go to the skypark....really cool!

Hope u recover fully soon! I just got over my cold too... Haha, my hubby had bad diarrhea, he didn't get the cold, my friend - Mr A did (he had both)...
Yup, hope to meet up with u again soon!

Great report. We went to Lembeh Resort March 2010 and LOVED it. Too bad that Glenn Knappe is leaving; then again he's got a new wife and family to support.

I'm feeling nitrogen deficient & don't have a next trip planned yet. If I wasn't planning to break ground for a major backyard overhaul and in-ground pool we'd be booked back to Indonesia in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom