Trip report : Ambon & Molana diving - feb 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I’d like to point out that what follows is entirely Scubaboard’s fault, your honor. :no:
Most guilty are members Wahlaoeh, Kilili, Silent Running, Jake11, Wisnu & Kevster : after reading their own reports on the destination, I couldn’t help but drool at the idea of diving Ambon and Maluku.

It took me only a few months to decide that Central Maluku was going to be my next dive destination. It is not very easy to get information or how, when and where to dive or stay but with the help of these members whom I am very thankful for replying my questions, and with a little bit of search on remote travel forums, my arrangements where set almost seamlessly. :cool2:

From Europe, I chose getting to Ambon on transit through Singapore then Jakarta. I stopovered one night at the convenient though quite gloomy Jakarta airport hotel, to take a Batavia flight early morning to Ambon, transiting through Surabaya. Courageous people would have flown directly from Jakarta with LionAir 1AM flight arriving early morning n Ambon, but we already had a 13 hours flights and cramped legs, hence we decided to play easy.
The good news is that you can book and pay directly through Paypal on Batavia airlines website, it was also possible to pay online for Lion Air tickets. Indonesian airlines network is truly stepping into 21st century net economy.

As I reckoned it was not far enough, I had to go beyond Ambon to go to where the diving frontier finishes. Hence we decided to give Saparua and Molana the chance of a report on SB : fortunately, I read somewhere a local dive centre had re-opened a month ago on Saparua and was ready to service Nusa Laut and Molana islands.
There's already a ridiculously expensive Swiss dive centre operating in Saparua, but I certainly wasn’t ready to shell out 300USD for one night stay and 50USD per dive (I mean, come on, we’re in Indonesia! A good meal doesn’t cost more than 8USD.)

Topside, I was also willing to see the legendary spice islands and Bandanaira, despite all warnings I received for the chances of getting stranded on the island, due to often cancellation of flights and poor ferry service.
I can now claim that the information I received from various travel sources regarding the Banda islands was mostly untrue, including a dive op who told me there was no more dive operation in Banda, being there, I can now state there are at least three ops that allow diving around Banda, Hatta or Ai, not of course a PADI 5 star type, although providing full diving genuine equipment and skilled guides.

1-Ambon muck diving

Ambon diving was on top of my expectations, I must say it lived up. My only regret is that I cannot return in august since it will be monsoon, white water time, “air putih” as they say.

I dived with Blue Rose which was recommended to me by one member (thanks so much Jovin!). Robert a young local guide, speaks fair English, certainly better than any other operational staff I BRD, he is a die hard PASSIONATE diver about muck diving. I enjoyed having the whole boat and his services for myself three days out of five, and that was amazing. Blue rose is set on the southern side of the island on Santai beach so it can cater bay diving as well as southern coral reef diving.

It's probably a good choice to select Collin beach bungalows nearby, which are in the medium range accoms, nothing fancy though more comfortable than the run down Santai beach resort. 30 USD per night for aircon bungalows. On our side we chose to stay at the "luxurious" (well... :eyebrow:) Aston Natsepa hotel, with the only pool in town, but it is a pain in the neck as it is 1hr ride from the dive center, I had to hire my own driver Mr Lexi each day, for the ride as well as for the dinners in town.
Ambon really has to do something for tourism comfort.

Ambon is firstly muck diving within its incredibly large bay (Ambon island shape is a like cartoon sperm whale, mouth open, the muck dive happens inside the mouth). It takes not more than 20 minutes to get to the most prestigious muck sites like Laha 2, which is the famous fishing harbor site. I was already prepared for extreme muck, noticing rainbow colored petrol and all sorts of stuff floating on the surface, but once I was 5m deep, I was struck by the unusually good visibility which reached 20-25 meters some days even in the muckiest areas.

These sites are black sand and small rocks slope with a slight downcurrent, some parts are covered with fire urchins, it’s like picking easter eggs to find zebra crabs or Coleman shrimps, up to 5-6 on one dive. On some other parts rubbish is used by ghost pipefish to hide, its moray eel galore too, I have never seen so many snowflake morays, you may also find snake eels, loads of seahorse (is an average of 10 per dive loads enough?), lots of crustacia like bumblebee shrimps hiding behind needle urchins, arrow spider crabs, decorator spider crabs, porcelain crabs, small inquisitive cuttlefish always in couple etc.
Robert was of course looking for Ambon’s main attractions : the psychedelic frogfish and Rhinopias. We could find any of those, he thinks the frogfish was eaten by a moray, as for the rhinopias as February waters are too warm they are now in the depth of the bay. Nevertheless we shifted to small Painted frogfish hunt. We also missed the most interesting octopi kind like mimic or blue ringed, which according to Robert, can be found during the colder water months.

The south side of the bay offers different muck diving although more colorful. Sites like Nudi Kingdom or Robert’s point (Yes, that’s his spot) provides small walls of colorful sponges, with nudibranches, sometimes as many as 4 or 5 frogfishes, plenty of cleaning blennies photo ops, interesting shrimps or coral crab life.

Last edited:
2- Ambon coral dives

Most surprizingly, Ambon hosts world class wall & coral sites outside the bay. Kota Pintu is a gigantic underwater arch covered with huge gorgonians, it can be swept with currents, but viewed from the foot of the arch, along with a 40meters visibility, it really feels like heaven’s door, the white gorgonians are SO beautiful, the spot became after 10 minutes one of my favorite coral dive sites EVER.

Hukurila caves is also a favorite : it’s a maze of arches and caves which provide fantastic vistas mixing gorgonians, walls and light wells.
The two sites combo is a wide angle photographer's dream, on the other hand I was so enthusiast that I had to struggle keeping photography in mind. Eventually, I didn’t get good shots as it was too much to see: there is so much to pack into the frame, I just couldn’t select a simple thing that makes the good photos jump out, hence I asked Robert to practise his underwater modeling skills, working with my Inon focus light. :D

All I long is to come back with clear ideas to have a photo ball diving again the two spots.
The downside is that they need depth for too long, I was more than 30m deep for the first dive and after reaching 27m for the second dive, my computer penalized me with 15minutes deco stop after 30 minutes diving, hence I had to drift above the dropoff for the rest of the time.
Nevertheless I could enjoy red tooth triggerfish soup below my fins. It reminded me somehow of the Maldives or some of the best lively parts of Sipadan.

The dive center you used in Saparua? I have stayed at Cape Paperu, and whilst very nice, as you mention quite expensive.

I quite enjoyed the diving with Blue Rose Divers, which is often overlooked, and deserves more business than it gets. Great speedboats. Their accommodations are a bit rustic [but do have aircon] and the food nourishing if little else. Ok for a couple weeks. There are a couple of of other places to eat close by, though I did not bother. Likewise other places to stay nearby.

The dive center you used in Saparua? I have stayed at Cape Paperu, and whilst very nice, as you mention quite expensive.
I arranged with Mahu Lodge, though I am not sure it was a good idea : bear with me, I'll come to it later on. :wink:

Wow Luko!! Stunning photos! I am so glad you enjoyed your trip!! Cool! I am surprised that you didn't see any mimics! I was there in late April 09 and we saw a lot of them then. We did see one rhinopias as well. This past November we didn't see any mimics or the psy.frogfish or the rhinopias either. They did say they thought the psy. frogfish was gone. At least I got to see him in 2009. Oh well. Next time you go try late April/early May to see the mimics! They were on a dive site that was in front of the big lighted Christmas tree ??? I would have to look up the name of it!
We leave in a few days for RA, although our flight goes through Tokyo so we shall see. Horrible tragedy!

Luko,
as usual I enjoy your great reports and pictures .. love the 2 aliens pictures after the zebra crab. Can't wait the spicy molana, banda, and saparua episodes
glad you manage to dive with BRD - they did not response my e-mails last time. but sure I'll contact them again for try for the main attractions, the psychedelica.
what happen with :eyebrow: aston natsepa, the hotel look nice from outside

Luko,
As usual your report and photos are brilliant. I really am looking forward to the next few installments!
I wish I could take 6 months off and dive all of these amazing spots. Indo is truly amazing and once you get bit by the indo bug its there for life!!

Luko,
As usual your report and photos are brilliant. I really am looking forward to the next few installments!
I wish I could take 6 months off and dive all of these amazing spots. Indo is truly amazing and once you get bit by the indo bug its there for life!!

I agree with AlMitch! I for one have been bitten for sure!!!!!! Thanks again Luko for the report and pics!

3-The Banda islands

Then it was time to move to the Banda islands. Unfortunately I was mislead with information there was no dive ops, hence I left all my dive and photo equipment in Ambon. Hence there will be no scubadiving in this paragraph. If like fish, you’re allergic to topside ravings, pls skip this one.

Flying to Banda is now easy from Ambon NBA, the new airline company flies Ambon or Bandanaira twice weekly Wed/Fri and - for the moment - they’re not prone on canceling unduly.

We stayed two days in Bandanaira which is one of the most pleasant places I have ever been to, speaking of Asia. Thick with history, providing some of the best food you can taste thousand of miles around : Mutiara guesthouse is owned by superfriendly and dynamic Abba, his wife cooks like a chef, her eggplant in almond sauce as well as the home-smoked snapper in chilli and onion sauce are both awesome, for serve each night a buffet of 5 or 6 dishes, 5USD per person, best gourmet deal ANYWHERE. My daughter still raves about the cinnamon pancakes, spread with nutmeg jam they cook for breakfast.

Bandanaira on wheels :

The weight, Bandanaira fish market :

How to say that, there is little to do in the Banda but everything is very pleasant, walking past dilapited dutch forts or decayed colonial houses, climbing Lonthoir stairways to visit nutmeg or kenari nut plantation, meeting the people picking or processing the fruit, tasting all sorts of sweets, cakes or teas made from the local spices.

View of Gunung Api volcano from Lonthoir :

Nutmeg picker and crop :

Bandanaira is a very peaceful place where living is good. I wouldn’t mind getting stranded into such a nice environment, plus hanging around with Abba is like attending a conference in open air, a 4D historical documentary.

Although I didn’t have time nor my equipment to scuba, I went looking for the dive scene downtown (ie. 3 minutes walk from Mutiara) and met Eddy, the DM of Maulana divers, who are now replacing ex-Spice island divers at Maulana hotel.
As we spoke, he showed me they have the equipment, the boat and they can organize dive trips to Hatta, Ai, Banda besar or even around Bandanaira.
A pity my stay was so short… Nevertheless I took the price list and his handphone for the next trip. On the way back I walked across another dive center called Walo Walo dive center –also a rumah makan ?! :confused:- which was closed for the moment, but Abba, as well as Robert from BRD, confirmed it was actually operating with full rental equipment.
In the evening I snorkeled with Abba at the famous Mandarin spot in front of the Maulana hotel, I counted a dozen of mandarin fish out of their hole and they are BIG, more than 10cm for the larger ones! :shocked2:

The day before I also spent a night and went snorkeling in Ai island located one hour ferry ride from Bandaira, the ferry ride was smooth, cramped with locals carrying loads bananas to sell, we threw in the name of the desk clerk we met at our hotel in Ambon, who told us he was originated from Ai. Everybody in the boat seemed to know him , I discovered I was sitting near his school buddy, I heard his name pronounced several times by the old ladies, suddenly everybody wanted to befriend us. :D
Leaving Bandanaira for Pulau Ai, a look on Gunug Api volcano :

We stayed at Green Coconut guesthouse located right on the beach, on the border of the quaint village of Ai. The village is quite large by Indonesian standard, along a concrete walkway and very tidy – on around midday while walking into the deserted village I swear I saw Oussama Bin Laden’s lookalike walking in the alley, tall slim guy, same age, similarly bearded, same afghani clothes as in the pictures, I wondered for a minute whether I had to call the CIA… but come on… OBL in the Bandas… Let’s get real, is he scuba diving?.. :idk:

Pulau Ai jetty :

Green coconut is probably one of the best choice but nowhere fancy and overpriced, twice the price of Mutiara with mundane food, no fan, shared bathroom. There were 3 couples of guests already, german, dutch & Canadian, it was fullhouse. Talking with the other people was strange, it seemed they had little comparison with other destinations, we soon discovered they were over exaggerating the benefits of Ai, especially for the underwater part, like they were trying to convince themselves it was the holiday location to be. It was like we weren’t speaking of the same things, even for the fish species which they were constantly mismatching while they wanted to show themselves as travel and marine experts, it was somehow pitiful and felt like it was not our place. :(

Beach in front of Green Coconut :

When we got back to Bandanaira, the other travelers we spoke to couldn’t help but smile because they had such a similar disappointment with Ai.
Tho we didn’t want to waste our time in Ai and hired a fisherman boat for an afternoon to go snorkeling on the beaches, there are quite pretty beaches around the island, one of which drop off looked very promising but too deep for drilling into the highlights from the surface… I was very frustrated I didn’t have the time to scuba.

I will be back for sure, but rather spend my time on Bandanaira and go for island daytrips. :wink:

So we continued our trip to Molana & Saparua flying back to Ambon, we had to take a ferry ride on the morning after, in the meantime as the schedule allowed me to, I phoned Robert to book an afternoon shallow muck dive trip with BRD right after I landed from Bandanaira. :cool2:
Buying an Indonesian SIMcard was probably one of the best ideas I ever had, I used it almost everyday so I could change any decisions, book accoms and plan the dive trips from day to day. This should be your first purchase whenever you’re planning a trip in Maluku that needs various arrangements.

Back to Ambon muck diving :

Back
Top Bottom