One more Raja Ampat procrastinator asking for land resort advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just decided I MUST go to Raja Ampat, land resort only, but I also need to accomodate my non diving wife with a nice beach around and (semi) comfortable bungalows.
So far I have shortlisted 3 resorts that may match my needs, and did a rack rate analysis :
  • Raja4divers comes out at 4.000€ per week for the both for us. It' the most expensive but seems REALLY all included, unlimited diving with no hidden charges anywhere. The bungalows are top class, it looks they have a nice beach/lagoon at walking distance. Drawback : they're probably beyond the cost I can afford for a 2 week holiday in Indonesia (I still have one week to stay somewhere else and flights to pay, I also have to spare for 3 weeks summer holidays!).
  • Raja Ampat Dive Lodge comes out at 2.850€ for the week, unlimited diving, not sure about the fuel/distance surcharges and so on. Bungalows look good, I really don't have a clue about the beach if any, their site is quite mute about it.
  • Raja Ampat Dive Resort is the cheapest at 2.100€ for the week with 3 dives per day, I am quite sure there will be charges over, the transfer is mainly public ferry, etc. Bungalows are way more basic, dunno for the beach.

I've ruled out Misool and Sorido, both too expensive, Kri resort that I consider a rip off for that level of accomodation and Papua Paradise which is not in the area I would like to be based.

Has anybody any opinion on the 3 resorts I've listed, especially for the surroundings. Personally I am not worried, I am quite sure I will dive anywhere, it's more about my non diving partner's requirement.

Thanks for your wise opinions... :wink:

Hi Luko,
My wife and I went to Raja Ampat last September and briefly stopped by Raja Ampat Dive Lodge while on the Raja Ampat Explorer. Did the mandarin dive at their dock. We asked to see a room for future reference and were both very impressed at what you get for the price. We agreed we'd like to spend some time there in the future. Our liveaboard and the Lodge are owned by the same company and we would definately book with Grand Komodo again.---very good price/performance ratio. Beach is not huge but nice...probably non-existant at high tide, but beautiful white sand with some mangroves. We had drinks and snacks there and watched the sun go down...still etched in my memory. Lots of tropical birds and not alot of bugs. Staff was friendly and the prices for the food, drinks, and t-shirts were very reasonable. If you can get them to take you to Wayag on a surcharge dive---Go... and do take your wife because it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been....The mountain climb there is not for those in below ave. physical conditioning, but those in reasonably good shape will be rewarded by a view of their lifetime The diving at Wayag is excellent , but what really sticks in my mind is the topside beauty. You're gonna love Raja Ampat, Luko.

Wow, to be honest I didn't realise the costs for these RA resorts.! as I prefer liveaboards I didn't really research the resort path (then again I tend to leave the wife and daughter at home :wink:) so I cant help with the info on resorts as you know Luko but make sure you base yourself closer to the North. Also enquire about the transfer time and length. Some divers on our boat went to misool resort and lets say their transfer from sorong was nothing short of very lengthy and dramatic. (over 4 hrs) Good luck with the choice. Regardless of what the diving offers you will find something enchanting about the place.

Last edited:
Did you finally decide and when are you planning to go Luko? I head there in a week and will be staying at Biodiversity Resort. Basic place but cheaper than Kri Eco Lodge and seems to be the best value for money budget option if you are ok with basic accommodation. US$1450 for 8 nights/7 days including 14 dives. Trip Advisor reviews good but will soon see for myself and give an update when I get back. Will also be going to Ambon and the Banda Islands afterwards, both on my wish list since reading your trip reports here on Scubaboard.

Was at RADL for a week, loved every minute of it... only 3 other divers for the whole resort, I had a boat and 2 dive guides for myself.
If you click on my signature, you'll see some photos. Amazing density, there's before and after Raja Ampat. You can't go wrong anywher located in Dampier straits...I'm sure Biodiversity is great.
Great choice doing Ambon afterwards, who are you diving with? Banda islands will be a more difficult trip since there are no more flights.

btw Nishan, I was in Colombo for business a month ago but couldn't find a weekend to go diving, otherwise I would have contacted you.

Great pictures as usual:thumbs_up: Love the sweetlips and the glassfish.

As long as there is fish density I will be happy. Average coral and fish soup > pretty walls and damselfish any day. Or better still pretty walls and fish soup like in R4.

I have not decided yet on Ambon, but considering Bluemotion simply because I have limited time, they are in Laha, not expensive, and I will also be diving with them in Banda. I remember you mentioning their guides were not great but hoping they are better now with time. If I had more time then would have checked out Blue Rose for some reef diving + macro. Unfortunately I will only have 3 days in Ambon, mainly because I had to fit the entire trip around the ferry schedules for Banda so will focus on muck around Laha. But I have 10 full days in Banda for diving and some land exploration and a good reason to go back to Ambon.

Next time you are in Colombo I will show you some of the best wreck diving in the Indian Ocean, right off the city. One of my friends just found the bell of a WWI wreck confirming its ID. Even if you are not a wreck enthusiast the fish life is pretty amazing, big schools of snappers, mackerel, fusiliers and hunting tuna.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 03:13 AM ----------

Actually not sure where I read the Bluemotion guides in Ambon were not experienced. Thought it was you but I may be wrong on that. Cant seem to find the thread and saw several positive reviews. Will soon find out myself :)

Actually not sure where I read the Bluemotion guides in Ambon were not experienced. Thought it was you but I may be wrong on that. Cant seem to find the thread and saw several positive reviews. Will soon find out myself :)
It was me indeed! I even guided a german DM to the critters... :D

Ah thought it was you. Well I hope they have picked up since then and also saw a few positive reports recently. Feel bad that I am not giving Ambon more time but it was a toss between that and Banda and I have been really curious to explore those islands. The ferry schedule determines I spend 10 days there so Banda it is this time with a couple of days diving in Ambon. Next time will focus on Ambon and do about a week for both muck and the outer reef sites.

Ah thought it was you. Well I hope they have picked up since then and also saw a few positive reports recently. Feel bad that I am not giving Ambon more time but it was a toss between that and Banda and I have been really curious to explore those islands. The ferry schedule determines I spend 10 days there so Banda it is this time with a couple of days diving in Ambon. Next time will focus on Ambon and do about a week for both muck and the outer reef sites.
You won't be disappointed by the Bandas at least topside. Might remind you SL, there's a "dutch hospital" feel to some of the building without all the posh shops (and missing the beer too) and also a Galle fort similarity.
It's OK diving 3 days in Ambon bay, but you will certainly miss blue water diving on the south coast outside Ambon bay, I particularly recommend Kota Pintu and Hukurila caves and I'm not sure BMD caters for these dives, they didn't a year ago.

I just decided I MUST go to Raja Ampat, land resort only, but I also need to accomodate my non diving wife with a nice beach around and (semi) comfortable bungalows.
So far I have shortlisted 3 resorts that may match my needs, and did a rack rate analysis :
  • Raja4divers comes out at 4.000€ per week for the both for us. It' the most expensive but seems REALLY all included, unlimited diving with no hidden charges anywhere. The bungalows are top class, it looks they have a nice beach/lagoon at walking distance. Drawback : they're probably beyond the cost I can afford for a 2 week holiday in Indonesia (I still have one week to stay somewhere else and flights to pay, I also have to spare for 3 weeks summer holidays!).
  • Raja Ampat Dive Lodge comes out at 2.850€ for the week, unlimited diving, not sure about the fuel/distance surcharges and so on. Bungalows look good, I really don't have a clue about the beach if any, their site is quite mute about it.
  • Raja Ampat Dive Resort is the cheapest at 2.100€ for the week with 3 dives per day, I am quite sure there will be charges over, the transfer is mainly public ferry, etc. Bungalows are way more basic, dunno for the beach.

I've ruled out Misool and Sorido, both too expensive, Kri resort that I consider a rip off for that level of accomodation and Papua Paradise which is not in the area I would like to be based.

Has anybody any opinion on the 3 resorts I've listed, especially for the surroundings. Personally I am not worried, I am quite sure I will dive anywhere, it's more about my non diving partner's requirement.

Thanks for your wise opinions... :wink:

hi Luko,

on the same Dampier strait zone, there is also Papua Explorer...look the same standard than Kri. but I’m not sure about the beach. And i didn't study the price

raja for diver is far from dive sites like Penemu, Dampier ect and you will spend a lot of time on the speed boat. Also I’m not sure if they have secret dive site, but on the 2 cruise i did in Raja Ampat was nothing very good close by R4D.

see you soon,

Gilles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom