Recent review of MSY Seahorse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtfarmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at booking a trip on the MSY Seahorse in Raja Ampat.
Anyone take any trips with them in Raja lately, or even another area trip?

In general how long ahead of time have people found they need to reserve Raja trips?
I haven't even gone on my Komodo trip in N:Dvember, and I'm thinking of putting a deposit on a trip a year away.

I can't give you any feedback on the Seahorse, but regarding booking an RA trip ...

If you want the time frame that works for you, in the best weather window, on the boat you desire, booking a year out in Raja Ampat is a very common procedure. The other option, if you have the resources and a lot of flexibility to travel at the drop of a hat, is to wait and gamble on a cancellation well into next year. You may get a break on the trip price, but your travel costs could be higher. We've found that, on average, we net the best costs for an exteneded October/November trip to Indonesia by having everything booked by February or March at the latest. We used to see fare sales from the US to there in May, but those are drying up, it seems.

We have plenty of trip reports from boats in that area here, including Seahorse. They're a few years old now but should still give you an idea of what to expect. I would agree with Highdesert, booking your trip in advance will give you the options that you want, waiting for last minute cancellations is a gamble and arranging travel to Raja Ampat at the last minute can be difficult, it would be wise to have your trip organized well in advance if you're determined to get there, it's a stunning destination and worth the few extra bucks to have your place nailed down.

I'm looking at booking a trip on the MSY Seahorse in Raja Ampat.

In general how long ahead of time have people found they need to reserve Raja trips?

I have booked a trip to Raja Ampat on the MSY Seahorse for November 2014. I did that almost a year ago ie 2 years before the trip. That was perhaps slightly OTT but RA is a popular destination and November one of its peak times. I did not want to take a chance of missing the boat (quite literally :) )

Anything to report or anyone been on MSY Seahorse in the past year. Looking at Raja Ampat trip sometime in the next 4-5 months. Thanks.

Chilly, I'm still curious also. I was really thinking of going all in and booking two trips back to back, but without recent reports decided against it. I'm doing another Lembeh/Komodo trip this Nov instead. But there is always next year. I have to have something to work my butt off for!
Anybody have some recent info?

We dove on the MSY Seahorse about 14 months ago in RA. Booked 7-8 month ahead which I think is typical.

Was a fantastic trip. The boat, crew, and guides were top notch. The owner was also with us which is apparently common. He acted as guide for many of the dives.

This is the only boat I have been on in RA so can't comment relative to any other operation. What I can say is that we were the only people on board that were not return customers. Most had been multiple times with them.

I am also looking to book another trip to RA and will now be one of their return customers.

Sliver

“Diving West Papua on MSY Seahorse”
x.gif
Reviewed 13 July 2014
My wife and I had an amazing week of diving in West Papua, the MSY Seahorse live-aboard was excellent and the trip arrangements by Dive the World were perfect. It was a bucket list item and we had an amazing experience.

Visited June 2014

This is an excerpt from Tripadvisor posted by a diver who went there 2 months ago. He gave it 5 out of 5. I am going on that boat in November this year to RA. Booked through Dive the World; I like their matter-of-fact approach.

Thanks Hintermann, if you come across anything recent about them, I want to read it all so I'm begging you and all others to share, please please. My decision must be made soon and I'm uncomfortable that can't find more info out there.

Dirtfarmer and ChillyinCanada,

Trip Reports about MSY Seahorse on Raja Ampat cruises have always been very good to excellent. Before I booked my own trip I checked and compared and it seemed to me that more than any other boat this trip, the management and crew of MSY Seahorse took the trouble to arrange itineraries with the most varied dives. Also, the details on Dive The World are very matter of fact and cover all the details required by a prospective guest. I was able to directly communicate with Indo Cruises and they have been very helpful with a lot of things. Guaranteeing me the cabin that I requested, a 15-litre nitrox tank for all the dives and above all, offering to pick me up at Sorong Airport at 06:30 in the morning on the day of my arrival and taking me to the boat immediately so that I can rest in my cabin and get over the jet lag before the evening 'meeting' with the crew and other guests. Quite frankly, no other staff of a liveaboard boat that I have been before (and I have been on 17 of them) have been so communicative and helpful before the trip as those of Indo Cruises and MSY Seahorse. I am certain that they will be just as good on the trip itself.

In short, diver errors apart, I do not think anything can go wrong if you book a Raja Ampat liveaboard trip with MSY Seahorse. Go for it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom