Wetsuit choice for Lembeh, Bunaken, Sangihe in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matador

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am planning to join a liveaboard around Lempeh, Bunaken and Sangihe islands diving 3-4 times a day in November and I was wandering which is the best choice of wetsuit for that area during that time.

I have been to liveaboards around the area (Komodo, E.Timor) and did off shore diving always with a shortie without any issues. I did have a rather unpleasant experience diving Manta point in Bali on a 3mm shortie with avg. temperature hitting 18C, so I thought I better double-check whether the Bunaken and the islands around Sangihe are any similar in terms of currents and water temperature. I take it Lempeh should be ok ...

Thanks

We've done the same three destinations, same time of year, probably the same boat. I wore a full 3mm for the entire trip, and was very comfortable. The water will probably be 27-29 C, about 80-83 F. You should not encounter any currents that bring colder water. Be careful diving near the hot water vents of the volcano Karengetang ... you could come out boiled. :wink:

.... Be careful diving near the hot water vents of the volcano Karengetang ... you could come out boiled. :wink:

it is the same liveaboard then ;-)

with 27-29 C I am more than happy with a 3mm shortie but maybe a full suit would be a better protection around Karengatang...
lets see if some other people add their 2c and help me decide.

thanks highdesert

Don't worry ... the guides know where the vents are. They aren't going to parboil you for giggles.

I would go with the 3mm full wetsuit as well for that area. 3 or 4 dives a day can begin to take it's toll on the body and even with warm water temperatures that you should expect there, you can begin to feel a bit cool during and after the dives especially night dives. The protection as you've mentioned is also a consideration for choosing a full suit.

I dive with a 1mm full suit in Bangka/ Lembeh and it was ok for a 10 day LOB in Raja Ampat too. I prefer the full suit as it protects you from any stinging little guys in the water. A 3mm shorty would be fine for warmth.

I wear a rash and shorts in lembeh and bunaken diving 3 times daily and occasional night. Rarely get cold and prefer the freedom, but get occasional Sting lol! I did same in lembongan and was fine down to 23-24C as I don't get cold easily. Once thermocline hit 17C at crystal bay, I was nippy to say the least!

I have never needed anything other than a lavacore vest and hoody for nightdives under a 3mm full anywhere in Indo. Can only recall coming in from a dive feeling ''cold'' once in late May, November has always been hot when ive been in N. Sulawesi.

Ok, so I'm on the colder side of the spectrum. I was in Raja and Lembeh and dived a 5mm with a hood. I am a photographer so tend to hover around little critters trying to get a decent image a lot. I must say the hydroids in Raja are prolific and I seem to sensitive to them. My hands were reacting to the stings my blistering. I had to apply hydrocortozone at least 3 times a day. Lembeh wasn't nearly so bad. I will bring gloves next time as I noticed others were wearing them. I usually don't bring them along because where I normally dive they are prohibited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom