Amed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There's lot trip reports and discussion about Tulamben in this forum but few about Amed, a fishing village located on the north east coast of Bali , 30 minute drive from infamous Tulamben.
Many people underestimate Amed. The fact, more non-diver visit Amed vs all divers visitor for Tulamben; might support the conclusion that Amed is not for serious divers. Amed is a very cozy and pleasant location to stay - more options on accommodation and restaurant to choose.

Amed beach by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

End of August, after 6 days in Komodo marine national park, we spent another 4 days in Hotel Uyah (salt lodge); the first hotel upon entering Amed street; situated right next to the beach with its restaurant - Café Garam - features a salt (salt = garam = uyah) production. It is not the cheapest resort in Amed, The room is spacious, comfortable bed, clean sheets, mosquito net, large bath room; well manicured garden and great pool area with loads of sunbeds; for less than Euro 50 during peak season is corectly priced. The A / C is not powerful, but sufficient to help us for a good sleep.
We love our family bungalow. From our verandah, we enjoy a direct view of Amed bay and the mighty Mount Agung .
Breakfast was not bad, choice between 5 menu's such as fried noodle, fried rice, pan cake, freshly baked bread with fruit platter or juice.

The diving?

The resort's inhouse DC – Amed Dive Center - is only few steps from our room. They use a wooden boat with cover and ladder; larger and much more convenient than using outrigger Jukung (small wooden fishing boat, just enough to put your butt) which is typically used by most of diving operator in the area. They also operate larger boat Condor Sailing typically use for longer trip, fishing trip or LOB but this boat currently on dock. The drawback, they only have one boat; so the dives selection will have to compromise with other divers or snorkeler, if any.
The resort's house reef - Ghost Bay, is located right on the front of our room, is an artificial reef with small sculptures made of bottles, wheels, concrete, terracotta pots, steels, wood trunks etc. No colorful and healthy corals; but it is a wonderful place for underwater macro photography. The dive site is gentle slope and flat bottom with some steep slope in places.
This artificial reef is home to large stonefish, moray eels, snake eels, lionfish, scorpion fish, boxfish, ghost pipefish, seahorse, and other small critters and fish. Long arms octopus (seem like mimic) and snake eels are common on the night dive.
Unfortunately, we do not see the Mimic octopus and painted frogfish which is claimed frequently seen there.
However, long arm octopus ( I thought it was mimic octopus) is very common on night dive.
On nearby site, less than 5 minutes boat from the house reef - we saw not only one or two, but at least 8 beautiful harlequin shrimps including very tiny juvenile.

Amed Harlequin Shrimp 4 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

The Jemeluk bay and Amed wall is also nice dive site, the drop-off is steep slope with healthy soft and health corals drops down into 25 – 35 m depths. I enjoy the relaxing drift on the wall with large red barrel sponges and huge gorgonian.
The dive guide brought us to a gorgonian fan on the sandy bottom, home to 5 Bagibanti pigmy sea horses. Unfortunately, once we approached this gorgonian to take picture – a dozen divers realized what we’re doing; only gave us few minute to shoot; and this was what happens after we left the place ... poor pigmy

Amed pigmyseahorse by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

The other attraction in Jemeluk bay is the pyramids, ie. artificial reef structures built in 1990 from a mixture of concrete slabs and car tires that seem has shown very promising result. The structures are encrusted with colorful corals home of anthias, parrotfish, angelfish, surgeonfish. moray eels, giant frogfish and playing ground of fusilier. During our dive practically almost no current, very easy dive but we do not see many pelagics, and no sharks.

Mel at Pyramid Amed by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

Although Amed diving is nice, but we could not resist not to dive Liberty wreck Tulamben and Seraya secret. They used the same boat, and took approx. 40 minutes to reach the Liberty wreck.
On the first trip to Tulamben, we had to wait other divers and snorkeler who came late almost one hour - so, the boat depart from resort at around 09:30 and we jumped in the front of Tauch Terminal at 10:30 to find there was no bumphead, no jackfish school, no barry barracuda on the wreck but dozens divers (could be more than hunderd) and bubbles every where. No single shoot my camera free from bubble.
Not very happy with diving condition, we asked to visit the wreck on the next earler morning, departing 07:30 am sharp from the resort which was too early for other divers. Good. The boat and the guide was ours.
Diving Liberty at 08:30 will not give whole wreck for you but at least we did not miss the bumphead. Still no jackfish school. We saw the Barry baracuda on the blue water from the distance and disappeared when we approached him.

Bumphead Tulamben 2 by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

On the way back, we stopped at Seraya secret and spent 75 minutes in the water.

Seraya Filefish by Wisnu Purwanto Family, on Flickr

More pics Amed ...Amed August 2013 - a set on Flickr

Tulamben and SEraya ... Tulamben & Seraya August 2013 - a set on Flickr

I always take a day trip to Amed evertime im in Tulamben. Always have ghost bay all to ourselves. Did you dive the japanese wreck wisnu? Its one of my favourite sites, always throws up surprises. Nice report and pics, once again.

+1 on Amed.

Gili Salang is one of my favorite drift dives. . . a very fast drift :D I'll take a pass on the Japanese wreck though, too much surf and churn. . .

Wow!!! Your harlequin shrimp pics and the bumpheads pic were stunning!!!!!! Excellent report!!!!!

Superb photos Wisnu. Looks like a great way for the family to wind down after Komodo.

+1 on Amed.

Gili Salang is one of my favorite drift dives. . . a very fast drift :D I'll take a pass on the Japanese wreck though, too much surf and churn. . .

Unfortunate..John.. Twice we had 40m + vis plus flat seas. There was a bit of a cold thermocline at around 25m down the slope to 20C down from 27 though!

I always take a day trip to Amed evertime im in Tulamben. Always have ghost bay all to ourselves. Did you dive the japanese wreck wisnu? Its one of my favourite sites, always throws up surprises. Nice report and pics, once again.

Thanks Gee,
Unfortunately no chance to visit Japanesse wreck - we're there 3 diving days only; supposeed to vit on last day but we changed to Tulamben.
Hopefully we'll visit Bali again end of the year.

---------- Post added October 6th, 2013 at 11:53 PM ----------

+1 on Amed.

After 6 days KOmodo, we need for cooling down.

---------- Post added October 6th, 2013 at 11:54 PM ----------

Wow!!! Your harlequin shrimp pics and the bumpheads pic were stunning!!!!!! Excellent report!!!!!

Thanks Jake, with 8 harlequin shrimps in one location you couldn't go wrong

---------- Post added October 6th, 2013 at 11:58 PM ----------

Superb photos Wisnu. Looks like a great way for the family to wind down after Komodo.

Hi Ross, nice to see you here.
Indeed Amex is very relaxing.

Anyway, are you back "home" R4 or still in your kampung?
Probably early next year we'll visit R4 again.

Thanks Gee,
Unfortunately no chance to visit Japanesse wreck - we're there 3 diving days only; supposeed to vit on last day but we changed to Tulamben.
Hopefully we'll visit Bali again end of the year.

---------- Post added October 6th, 2013 at 11:53 PM ----------

After 6 days KOmodo, we need for cooling down.

---------- Post added October 6th, 2013 at 11:54 PM ----------

Thanks Jake, with 8 harlequin shrimps in one location you couldn't go wrong

---------- Post added October 6th, 2013 at 11:58 PM ----------

Hi Ross, nice to see you here.
Indeed Amex is very relaxing.

Anyway, are you back "home" R4 or still in your kampung?
Probably early next year we'll visit R4 again.

Yes back home now. :cool2:

Are you still in Central Asia?

The new resort is finished now, we are now having a soft opening. Next week we have a group from Turkey, 23 people. Going to be busy busy, all hands to the deck. :D

Please check the website out www.papuaexplorers.com. Our rates are very competitive. The resort is so beautiful. Two things that I think will especially interest you. 1. Our House Reef is proving to be a truly awesome night dive and 2. We have a very large dive centre at the end of our jetty complete with AC controlled camera room.

Hope to see you guys again.

Great report as usual Winsu!

Ross1 looks like a beautiful resort and your rates (although not cheap) are competitive. Good luck with the soft opening.
The one thing I could not find on your web site is the exact position of your resort.

Yes back home now. :cool2:

Are you still in Central Asia?

The new resort is finished now, we are now having a soft opening. Next week we have a group from Turkey, 23 people. Going to be busy busy, all hands to the deck. :D

Please check the website out www.papuaexplorers.com. Our rates are very competitive. The resort is so beautiful. Two things that I think will especially interest you. 1. Our House Reef is proving to be a truly awesome night dive and 2. We have a very large dive centre at the end of our jetty complete with AC controlled camera room.

Hope to see you guys again.

Hi Ross,
Indeed, we still trapped in KZ; but kids is living in Nice living Nice and Birmingham

Congrat with new resort
The resort look gorgeous, very intersting only 15-20 min to top dive sites, but as point out by Al Mitch I can't find the exact location.
Not sure with others, it's not easy for me to navigate on your website.

Anyway, we'll look it for our next year trip ... hope we can dive with you again

---------- Post added October 13th, 2013 at 10:39 AM ----------

Great report as usual Winsu!

Ross1 looks like a beautiful resort and your rates (although not cheap) are competitive. Good luck with the soft opening.
The one thing I could not find on your web site is the exact position of your resort.

Thanks Al, glad you enjoy the report
end of this month we'll be diving with another new resort in Ambon .. seem you're interested with this resort as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom