Euphoria LOB spear fishing in Raja Ampat's Marine Parks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ross1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I want to make people aware about this LOB operating in Raja Ampat. I have been told from a very reliable source, a guy working on the boat, that the owner and his guests frequently spear fish on dive sites within the MPA's. My source has seen them take Groupers, Adult Napoleon Wrasse, Bump head Parrotfish and even Reef Sharks. They know they are breaking the rules. I'm told if it's busy they will go to less visited sites to hunt fish and will also wait on dive sites until everybody else has gone and then go down with the spear guns.

This is stupid, short term thinking and arrogant behaviour. Also it is theft from the local people in the Raja Ampat, who are very poor and rely on their reefs for food and tourism income. The local people and authorities now know about this boat. I hope they get to 'feel the heat'.

Hi guys,

I want to make people aware about this LOB operating in Raja Ampat. I have been told from a very reliable source, a guy working on the boat, that the owner and his guests frequently spear fish on dive sites within the MPA's. My source has seen them take Groupers, Adult Napoleon Wrasse, Bump head Parrotfish and even Reef Sharks. They know they are breaking the rules. I'm told if it's busy they will go to less visited sites to hunt fish and will also wait on dive sites until everybody else has gone and then go down with the spear guns.

This is stupid, short term thinking and arrogant behaviour. Also it is theft from the local people in the Raja Ampat, who are very poor and rely on their reefs for food and tourism income. The local people and authorities now know about this boat. I hope they get to 'feel the heat'.

Operators like this should be stripped of their permit to operate out of RA and put out of business if true.

Assuming this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), they should be banned.

If anyone wants to ask them directly ...

CONTACT - EUPHORIA Travel

Remember, what you read here may be accurate, but it is second hand, so choose your words carefully.

My source witnessed them taking big fish from Wayag, Chicken Reef, Sardines Reef, West Mansuar and Cape Kri.

Euphoria was anchored at Sardines from early morning to late afternoon one day last week.

I was at Sardines a few days ago, the 2 big Nap Wrasse that are always there on falling tide were absent. I hope they didn't take them.

Goodmorning,
I'm Joanna,I work for KLM Euphoria.
While mystatement may seem unobjective due to the connections, please patiently readwhat I have to say.
Because Ifound out about the existence of this thread on this forum, I read this and honestly hurt that somewhere in thiswhole struggle for (coral, humanity, principles, protection of animals, etc.)forget about the simple principle of honest expression. This forum has beencreated to convey opinions, but not to the mindless transfer of hearsaystories. Not because of the rules of the forum, but simply because of the needfor greater attention to issues of anonymity in the network and the possibility(public assent to) for unjust tarnish opinion about people, companies,things ect.
It's verysad that in the confusion, no one not directly asked us about what we (thecrew, owners, employees) have to say on the subject.
Below Iattach the official position of the owners KLM Euphoria on alleged violationsof the rules by our staff.
I just wanted to mention that neither theowners or the crew are not Russian , and the ship from June to the end ofSeptember was a dry dock, what already should give much food for thought as tothe accuracy of the information provided in this topic. Noteworthy is also thefact that our request to provide specific information as to the exact time,place and participants of the incident to this day remains unanswered.
“Because ofrecent accusation and discussion about spearfishing by
Euphoria’s owner and crew I would like to make astatement.

As an owner of Euphoria Liveaboard I can assurethat it is not true that
me, my staff or guests are spearfishing in RajaAmpat park or other
protected places.

The stories telling that we are organising tripswhich goal is to spearfish
in Raja Ampat are completely untrue andaccusations that missing Napoleons
on dive site is our fault are scurrilous.

This case is especially strange, because it startedin September, when our
last trip to Raja Ampat was in April and theperson who started this
discussion is talking about a ‘source’ whosename is still unknown.

This matter has already been discussed with theproper organisations and I
truly hope this statement will close thismatter.”

To sum up, I will not even induce you tothoughts on this subject, but I request that in every single theme hearsayeither on the internet or in your life, take into account that in human natureis sometimes blab what brain bring to tongue, but humanity -gives us the possibility ofobjective evaluation.
So please, in the event of any ambiguity aboutKLM Euphoria also ask directly at the source.
www.euphoria.travel
sales@euphoria.travel, or info@euphoria.travel
I cordially greet and wish you all a nice day,
Joanna & Euphoria team

Thankyou for your response, contrary to your statement,according to your website schedule of cruises the boat was in Raja Ampat and Cenderwash Bay during June and July
and was in drydock from July 29 to Aug 23, and returned to Cenderwash Bay August 26th continuing on to Raja Ampat for the rest of the month and September.
And no one on this forum made mention of the owners nationality.

It would be good if the original poster clarified his source.

Hello dirtfarmer,
Of course, according to the schedule you're right, but the schedule is a plan (the foundation of planning some cruises), whatever from this we was not sailing from April to the end of September . You can exactly check in the port of Sorong, whether registered any departure Euphoria at this time. I assure you, that in the period from late April to the end of September the ship does not leave port in Sorong.
Greetings,
Joanna
P.S. Pls, every next question send to my e-mail, I`m rarely in this forum. Adress above.

P.S. Pls, every next question send to my e-mail, I`m rarely in this forum. Adress above.

Joanna - Thank you for presenting your case here. May I suggest that while moving the discussion to email may be more convenient for you, I'm sure many divers who either go to, or who are simply concerned, about Raja Ampat would like to stay informed about this issue. Also, you may find that keeping the discussion public will bolster the credibility of you liveaboard operation. Plese consider this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom