Dive Center Boats used to long line Sharks in Sanur.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BaliSharks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Sanur Dive Center moonlighting as shark poachers

Last month I received several photo submissions of sharks that had been fished out in North Bali, a dead Thresher Shark on the beach in Jimbaron Bay, and a lady with a motorbike carrying a bucket of five dead pups at Sanur Beach. The Sanur picture was taking by an eco dive intern from Blue Season named Pego. He was unable to provide further information.

On Saturday, October 19th 2013, Pego sent in another photo he took the same day of at least 8 sharks in a styrofoam box from Sanur. The next day I asked him for more info & he sent me a picture of one of the boats “7 Angels” it came from and mentioned another boat that looked similar that unloaded the sharks. In total he said there were six boxes with about 10 dead sharks in them. He mentioned the crew told him they had long lined the sharks in a boastful manner.

A quick google search revealed “7 Angels” was one of Ena Charter fishing boats. (Bali Boat For Fishing and Real Fun by Ena Fishing Discovery - Bali Fishing)
ENA sounded familiar and is actually the fishing division to Bali Diving - Bali Dive - PADI Dive Course - Scuba Diving

I ended up meeting Pego at 2pm and he pointed the boats out to me which indeed belong to Ena Dive Center. One of the staff verified they had caught the sharks via long line. After a few more questions he began to say the sharks were already dead. (Long Lining is a premeditated form of fishing in hopes of volume catches.)

Based on the amount and the way the sharks were being boxed & prepared then stacked on a vehicle for transport, it seemed like a fairly organized system. Sharks probably ending up in Benoa Harbor so fins can be exported.

Attachments

• Sanur10_13.jpg
    Sanur10_13.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 262
  • sharkprep.jpg
    sharkprep.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 7Angels.jpg
    7Angels.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 242
  • EDC.jpg
    EDC.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 235
  • est.jpg
    est.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 245
Just in case anyone wants to drop them a friendly email telling them why you won't be diving with them on your next visit to Bali ....

enadive@dps.centrin.net.id

Absolutely shocking. Very important to make these things public.

I have brought this article to the attention of PADI Asia, PADI main office and the PADI representative on Bali, Emma Hewitt, as Ena Dive is supposed to be a 5 star Gold Palm resort. I await their responses.

Shambolic, pisses me off. Have sent them an email with my views.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2013 at 10:00 PM ----------

Shambolic, have sent them an email outlining my views on this appalling behaviour. Piss poor

I have also sent them a "friendly" not email....how can they do such a terrible thing ??

a reply from Ena:

Thank you for your email acccording to below matter.

Actually we was shock to read below email mention. All is not true. Instead of Diving we do have fishing program but separate. Name of our fishing program is Ena Fishing Discovery. We do fishing by chatch and release. We have never catch shark as your email mention. When never you come in Bali, you can visit our office and you will know exactly. I have already report everything to Padi. Please advice us where did you get the news as below mention.

We also would like to inform you that Mr. Ena Partha is the owner of the Dive Center. He is one of the head enviromental in assosiation travel agent in Bali. Goverment also cooperate with us to take care environmen in Bali which is very rare other dive center in Bali do the same, it's not make sense that we do something bad for the shark.

We also active in Project aware program such as Mangrove Plantation, Farming coral, Underwater beach clean up, and beach clean up. We do by our own expenses and we also invite other diving center in Bali to joint.

Should you have any question please do not hesitate to contact us at anytime.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom