Any Recommendations for a Honeymoon diving trip in Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pughio83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

any one care to put forward some ideas for a honeymoon dive trip for late 2015(Nov) to early 2016? My gf and I got engaged last year and currently planning a wedding for 2015, and have been looking around for a world class trip combining a liveaboard and a week in a luxury resort with good diving. We love muck and macro, pelagics also but my gf isn't as keen in blue water /wall diving and hanging over plateau drop offs in the blue. Budget is around £4000 per person. I have already looked at wakatobi but wonder whether the diving is good enough for the expense?

Any recommendations either from experience or hear say would be most welcome.

Thanks

So many amazing places to choose from. That's quite a long trip - how many different destinations are you looking to explore in your time frame? This will impact on viability of travel between spots you go to. Also are you looking for more upmarket destinations (like Raja Ampat in Indo for example) or the more popular spots such as Sipidan (Malaysian Borneo) or the Similan Islands (Thailand West Coast)?

If you are looking for a one country job with excellent relaxation, exploration & dive spots, The Phillipines are an excellent choice. Amazing diving, beautiful scenery and very friendly locals. Not amazing food, but hey you cant have everything!

---------- Post added March 1st, 2014 at 12:42 PM ----------

PS Make sure you do some research on monsoon seasons of your shortlisted destinations. It can be very regional in South East Asia. For example the gulf of Thailand sees its monsoon in November, whereas on the West Coast (Similans, Burma Banks etc) its in June/July time. Phillipines monsoon is in October so should be fine by your visit - I went for the whole of Nov a few years ago and it was beautiful throughout.

I highly recommend Amanpulo in the Philippines for a honeymoon. The island is fantastic with great diving.

Probably 2 destinations - a liveaboard between 7-10days and then a week in a resort with few days for Tavel. Budget probably can be stretched to £4500-5000 max per person. The diving has to be exceptional for these prices. Wakatobi with a week on their boat and then resort is over £10,000 total so over budget. I have been to Philippines many times and have looked at Atlantis aand the new sister resort resort in Bohol (can't remember name).

Liveaboards I am thinking raja or Komodo depending on times. I like the look of the biodiversity trip with mermaid 2 but is a longer trip.

The luxury week after the liveaboard could be a non dive resort eg hanging gardens in ubud.

Amunpulo looks beautiful, assuming pricey? And how is the diving?

Amanpulo is pricey but what a way to spend your honeymoon. Diving is great. Black and white tip reef sharks and nurse sharks ate common. I encountered a oceanic white tip once while doing a safety stop on top of the reef.

Maldives? Accommodation can range from budget to super-luxurious hotels but diving's equally amazing...

We've done Wakatobi Resort, and heard numerous first-person testimonials about the Pelagian liveaboard. For coral, reef fish, and macro, I still measure everything else in Indo against Wakatobi, including the likes of Raja Ampat and Komodo. Yes, you can find similar diving in those places, but Wakatobi gives it to you consistently, dive after dive, and in a very compact area. And from your wish list, I think you'd be very satisfied with the resort.

Regarding the Pelagian, I've heard a number of people remark that the diving was no better than the resort, and some guests were not happy with the accommodations for assorted reasons, odors, etc, and wished they had just stayed at the resort.

Misool = not sure a LOB is what you would want for your honeymoon, guess its up to you if you want some alone time with your new bride or dont mind people in close quarters.

You could also do a nice overwater bungalow at Kapalai and do Sipidan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom