Things you wish you had known before your first trip to N Sulawesi...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillpusher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm counting down the three months left until my first dive trip to Indo the beginning of July. We'll be spending a week and a half there before spending a couple days in Singapore on the way back. We're splitting our time on N Sulawesi with 6 nights diving Lembeh staying at KBR, then 4 days on the other side in Wori at Cocotino's.

So, what things do you wish you had known BEFORE your first trip to N Sulawesi? Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Enjoy the good "Manado-nese" food. Really delicious, fragrant and spicy.

That would include bat and dog!!!!!
We joined a local land tour on our rest day in Manado. The car stopped by a roadside restaurant up in the mountain and the guide took us inside for lunch. Plenty of small dishes were placed on the table and we just enquired what they were. And these two items really stand out!!! We didn't touch them!
The Indonesian word for bat is really difficult to learn and pronounce.

Will be looking forward to your trip report. I am hoping to go to the same area next year.

Al-I'm looking forward to it. I'm certainly not afraid to try out new foods, and from what I hear about Singapore, I'd really be missing out if I were. Got my muck stick ready to roll. I use a Sealife DC1400, so I can only get as macro as it will allow me. But, I usually do ok for using just a compact (pics link in signature).

Centrals-I'm not afraid to try bat, but we have five dogs, so I'll probably stray from "intentionally" eating them...

Clernix-Will do... I'll have that looooong flight home to write it up. Let me know if there's any particular info you're looking for, and I'll try to make note of it.

I'm not afraid to try bat, but we have five dogs, so I'll probably stray from "intentionally" eating them...
Easy, just don't order the dish they call "RW".

Another word of advice is try to go to Bangka for a dive daytrip otherwise you will be missng what for me stands as the best in North Sulawesi underwater.

Easy, just don't order the dish they call "RW".

Another word of advice is try to go to Bangka for a dive daytrip otherwise you will be missng what for me stands as the best in North Sulawesi underwater.

Definitely. I'm hoping to get up there two of my four days at Cocotino's.

Enjoy the good "Manado-nese" food. Really delicious, fragrant and spicy.
. . .

Okay, there's something I wish I had known before my trip to Lembeh (though it really applies to any dive resort): If you want to eat local food at the resort, make sure you tell the kitchen. My wife and I had been looking forward to some Indonesian food, which we love, but our resort (KLR) was hosting a group of Texans whom we were told were repeat guests, so the kitchen catered to their preferences, which evidently were for familiar American/"international" foods. After a couple of days we finally asked the staff what was up, because we were hoping for more local fare, and after explaining the foregoing, they were happy to oblige. After that discussion, a bottle of kecap pedas (sambal) was always sitting on our table waiting for us.

Obviously, if you go into Manado itself, you can find whatever you want. But if you want more local fare at a resort, sometimes you have to ask.

And in Singapore don't leave without eating chili crabs!

Id wished Id known Bangka existed before my 4th trip to N Sulawesi...and that the dog processing plant is on the riverbanks where the ferry to Bunaken leaves...dont look there.

I also wish Id known that if you need a hotel close to the airport for an early flight the Grand Puri has the best spa and massage for a few thousand miles.

Back
Top Bottom