Getting to Sorong from the NYC area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinewoodsfarm

Registered
Reaction score
Booked a liveaboard in November for Raja Ampat. Have researched a number of different flight options but if you've done this recently and have any suggestions, I'd love to have them. Thank you.

Cynthia - NJ

Easy,
1. Pick an entry city that works best for you.
2. Have the boats agent make the domestic flight arrangements.

If anything goes wrong with flights, the agent and/or boat will likely be notified. Happened to me on my 1st trip to Indonesia. The boat was more aware of what was going with my new flights than I was.

Yes, already planning to have the boat book our domestic flights either from Jakarta or Bali and interested in hearing from anyone who has done this.

Yes, already planning to have the boat book our domestic flights either from Jakarta or Bali and interested in hearing from anyone who has done this.

Other option to consider is to fly NYC -> Singapore (Singapore Airlines) -> Manado or Makassar (with Silk Air, which is a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines) - You are then only a domestic flight away from Sorong, and avoid the infamous red eye Jakarta - > Sorong.

We have been there 3x and did it 3 different ways. The one we liked the best was Singapore to Manado. Overnight in Manado then early morning flight to Sorong! Having the boat book your air is the best option as they have always taken care of any changes ( of which there have been MANY!!!) Have fun! Awesome diving!

I agree with frogfish and jake11 - flyt thru Singapore. It's a long flight from NYC and I'd much rather arrive in Singapore than Jakarta. Jakarta airport is difficult at best and gives you little options for a decent overnight accommodations. Even if you decide to fly via Denpasar, I suggest Singapore, as the first stop before Indonesia.

The red-eye to Sorong might be the fastest connection (I will take this flight in a few days), but I would not recommend this flight to anyone coming afar.

As others have suggested, working with the LOB can save headaches. Local Indonesia airlines are not that reliable and difficult to book reservations. Thus, changes or flight delays will be communicated to you and to the cruise director. Have fun diving in paradise.

This option may not be the best for you but you could fly EVA out of JFK (used to be Newark), the same flight used to come thru Seattle to Denpasar, Bali via Taipei. I did enter thru Bali mostly so I could see the area and say I was south of the equator. It does make it a little more difficult to get to Sorong but I was leaving early and Singapore and Jakarta were not appealing. EVA is usually pretty competitive on airfare at least from Seattle and they have superior service to most of the American airlines.

Welcome to SB! As you'll find out, Indonesian domestic air offers it's own unique blend of travel challenges.

If you have the option of entering Indonesia via Manado, take it. You are only about an hour west of Sorong and there are more frequent non-stop flight options from there if anything goes amiss. Flying from DPS (Bali) to Sorong means an over-night in Makassar, there just aren't many options going that direction. If you want to do Bali (and you really should!) pick it up on the way back, the connections are much better heading that direction. The delight of the Jakarta/Sorong red eye needs no further detailing, but I will. An added feature is a stop in Makassar in the middle of the journey at maybe 3am or so. You disembark bleary eyed only to eventually reboard the same aircraft after waiting in yet more lines but now even more bleary eyed. (And heaven help you if you don't grab a transit pass when you do disembark...)

Oh and check out the Novotel Hotel in Manado. Their online rates are quite reasonable ($50. back in 2012), considering how upscale the hotel and property is. Close to the airport also, a taxi might have been $6 bucks from the airport. // ww

I agree with warm water sank 100%. We stayed at the Novotel Hotel in Manado for something like $45 a night. We stumbled upon a little booth they had at the airport and found out they gave free rides to the hotel . The morning we left for our very early flight they made us breakfast to go and gave us a free ride back to the airport. The rooms and hotel were very nice!!! The time we did the Makassar route we stayed at the Hotel Aryaduta. It was a long distance from the airport but very nice. We happened to stay there when they had their Brazilian BBQ night and it was AWESOME!!! I still liked the Manado way the best. Have a great trip!

Thank you all very much. When doing some independent research Manado did look like the best option. However I read somewhere that they didn't have daily flights to Sorong, flights in general were not very reliable and they didn't have a great track record on getting your luggage/dive gear on the same plane. Although that doesn't seem to be the experience of those posting on this thread?

The person we are working with from the boat was steering us away from Manado. So I'll circle back to them to get a better understanding of their concerns.

But again, thank you, really appreciate the input, including the suggestions about going through Singapore. There are flights from both JFK and Newark that make that very doable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom