Komodo vs Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys

I am thinking of visiting either of the places (both if circumstances permit) and would like to hear from those who have been to both what their comments are and which they would rate as a better dive
Your comments are most appreciated, thanks

Rgds
Michael

Hmmmmm..... a lot depends on what you like. I travel to both places frequently. Note that they are at their bests at different times of the year so doing both in one trip may not be your best option, particularly coming from "nearby" Singapore. For me, in short, RA has more fish and more variety of fish than anyplace I have seen. Mantas, wobbegongs and walking sharks are certainties. Southern sites have incredible topography and coral coverage is outstanding. Komodo is better for macro, IMHO, but mantas and sharks are certainties too. Coral coverage is also pretty impressive. While both areas can have strong currents, you more often dive on the lee side of pinnacles or do drift dives in Komodo whereas in RA, you tend to dive in the compressed water on the front of sites. Temperatures are the same in the north of Komodo and RA but colder in the south of Komodo.

I would say rush to Raja Ampat before it gets spoiled with too many divers and liveaboards.
New landresorts and liveaboards plying R4 follow the IT law of doubliing their capacities each year.
There were only 3 resorts two years ago on Dampier, beginning of last year there were 5, there are probably around 8 open currently.
(Zippsy : I found R4 was very interesting in terms of macro, lots of cephalopods and rare nudis, It's probably the best place in the world for pygmy seahorses. In my experience the macro was even better than Komodo, the thing is that you don't often take the time to go macro on R4.)

The chance of Komodo might be there are only very few landresorts that can be built in Komodo NP. Komodo has been dived for a long time now, with only little impact below. Hence I believe it will still be similar in the next 2-3 years.. I'm not so sure for R4.

From my experience the difference is that:
Komodo has BIG fish. When I mean BIG, I mean 2-3meter big! Current dives such as Crystal Rock and Castle Rock had massive fish.
Then I would also say that Komodo has bigger mantas and a higher concentration.
However, RA, more diversity and dive sites which has both the big stuff and the small stuff.

But Luko is correct, got to experience RA before it gets over crowded. But at the same time I fear the same for Komodo. Especially with
their new airport underway and new dive centers + hotels popping up every year.

We have done both RA on Black Manta and Komodo on Mermaid 2 and loved them both so much. I preferred the diving in Komodo...better vis in late October compared with Christmas in RA. The coral was Bette in Komodo...but we saw many as on more dives in RA than Komodo. Seeing the dragons was awesome..... and both areas have strong currents. Several couples on our boat ..the fantastic Black Manta had been to both and each couple had one person who preferred RA and another Komodo.

I see that you are in Singapore...lucky thing....so unless you are 90 years old and or suffering from a life threatening illness then you just have to do both. When a billion Chineses people start travelling more in Asia , these destinations will get alot busier....do it ASAP.

Thanks for sharing your views guys....will most likely be Raja Ampat this year (Nov most prob) and Komodo next year

What is the best time of year for Komodo and RA?
I have been told June to September for Komodo and October through March for RA.

Hmmmmm..... a lot depends on what you like. I travel to both places frequently. Note that they are at their bests at different times of the year so doing both in one trip may not be your best option, particularly coming from "nearby" Singapore. For me, in short, RA has more fish and more variety of fish than anyplace I have seen. Mantas, wobbegongs and walking sharks are certainties. Southern sites have incredible topography and coral coverage is outstanding. Komodo is better for macro, IMHO, but mantas and sharks are certainties too. Coral coverage is also pretty impressive. While both areas can have strong currents, you more often dive on the lee side of pinnacles or do drift dives in Komodo whereas in RA, you tend to dive in the compressed water on the front of sites. Temperatures are the same in the north of Komodo and RA but colder in the south of Komodo.

Am thinking of going for my honeymoon in Indonesia and would love to do a week liveaboard whilst there. Obviously been reading up on Raja Ampat and Komodo as these seem to be the best places. Hoping to go in July/August. What Liveaboards would people recommend for those periods?

What is the best time of year for Komodo and RA?
I have been told June to September for Komodo and October through March for RA.
Komodo is also good in May.

Am thinking of going for my honeymoon in Indonesia and would love to do a week liveaboard whilst there. Obviously been reading up on Raja Ampat and Komodo as these seem to be the best places. Hoping to go in July/August. What Liveaboards would people recommend for those periods?
In July / August, you're aiming for Komodo, right? I am be very biased but I like Tippytoes12 comments a lot. :p

Komodo is also good in May.

In July / August, you're aiming for Komodo, right? I am be very biased but I like Tippytoes12 comments a lot. :p

Seeing that you go there quite frequently, what would you say are the best Liveaboards for Komodo? There seem to be quite a few companies doing it. Both The mermaid and the Black manta look good but there seems to be a difference in itineraries and prices. Any recommendations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom