Land based trip Xmas/Newyrs -where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeycanuk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are a family of 2 adults and 1 14 year old son. I was set on going to RA but things just aren't working out nicely enough. Seriously considering Sorido Bay but now not so sure...at all. What they had is a 2 bedroom cottage. This seems to be rare. MER from what I can tell (along with other resorts) will simply add a bed. We love our son but for a 14 day trip we each need our own rooms. This trip is for 2015/16, I like to plan early.

I can get easily to Jakarta from Toronto, EVA 1am departure arrive next day 1:20pm. Have to be able to leave Indo on a Friday to get back Sunday to start school Monday. Leading up to the Christmas break not a whole lot of schooling going on that week so can leave earlier in the week (Tuesday/Wednesday). Sorido was hard up on the "NO-SATURDAY ANYTHING" for reasons that are clear but not mentioned by Sorido/Kri staff. Be honest if it's your religious day of rest, I respect that, finding out why on TA...not so much.

Looking for a land-based resort, prefer to stay in one spot but if easy enough can split into 2 different resorts/locations.
Must have 2 bedrooms.
Have around 175dives each by then and would have done Bilikiki/Uepi 5months prior so can handle more difficult dives.
Need really nice pretty fish (lots!) + reefs with some Manta dives. Sharks would be nice but not a must. 35-45 min boat rides max
Not sure about muck dives but if possible a day or 2 wouldn't hurt.
Really don't want a lot of photographers/ or ability to dive with a non-photo group. to each their own.
Topside attractions would be nice, maybe a must? My wife is usually a 2/dives a day (Bilikiki was more for me, Uepi for her)
Budget-don't mind paying if worth it. Tickets from Toronto are all via points anyway (with minimal fee's!)

Thanks in advance!:):biggrin:

Sounds to me like a Bali safari would suit you well. Could spend time in 3 different locations and do a variety of dives such as reefs and walls in Menjangan, Liberty Wreck and reefs plus some critter diving in Tulamben and Amed areas, then down to the south to dive at Padang Bai and Nusa Penida. The variety of hotels in Bali are plentiful, easy to get two rooms beside each other anywhere from $40 per night to $400 per night. Lots of topside attractions as well.
Only downside is that there is a good chance of rain at that time of year in Bali, Komodo, North Sulawesi.
Raja and Ambon are a bit better weather wise in December.

MER got back to us with an apology for missing my email from a few days ago that got missed. Looks like 2 water cottages with paying the one single supp. charge is the way we are going. Oddly the cost is the same as Sorido and no Saturday restriction.

I don't know much about Bali, other than all I know when I hear "Bali" is the bombing many years ago (sad but true). Are there quiet spots on the island? From my very limited knowledge of the area isn't it bit of a tourist hotspot?

The island itself is quite big, there are a lot of people in the south near the main city areas. However, once you get out of there then it's quite quiet, high season is from June to around Oct. So April and May are great times to visit as the rain has subsided by then, but really it's an all year round location. There are many quiet spots on the island and it's a very under rated dive destination. MER is a great choice, have cruised the area many times, I myself prefer it to North Raja due to the proliferation of soft corals. You will have a great time

You may also like to think about the North Sulawesi region - you could split time between Lembeh and Bunaken or my personal choice - Bangka. There is also a few resorts on mainland Manado that may suit you such as the Tasik Riah or Murex's mainland op.....you will certainly know you are off the tourist track in N. Sulawesi. Land based activities such as trekking and finding Tarsiers in the wild at Mt Tangkoko is a very special experience.

With Lembeh you get muck (and the odd whale shark a couple of weeks ago to the suprise of everyone), Bunaken you get walls, Bangka you get your own island castaway experience with IMO some of the best pinacle diving in SEA.

We had a month in Indonesia from December 7th last year's. We had 10 days on the Gilis and the weather got progressively worse. Then we had a week in RA where the weather was perfect , followed by a few days on Lembongan when it rained and rained. I really would not recommend Bali at this time of year , it wonderful from as early as mid February onwards , fantastic diving and great value.

Best fishes x

I've read in several places that N.Sulawesi (Lembeh, Bunaken) don't get weather quite as bad as other places in Indo. Would you say this is accurate? Trying to decide if going end of December to these locations is bad idea.
Rain isn't so bad as long as it doesn't stop the diving.

Rain certainly doesn't make a big difference in Lembeh, and December not usually as bad as say Jan/Feb for rain (but that seems to change from year to year) Bunaken side the rain would affect the diving more as it is more of the pretty reef diving so clear water and bright sun is preferable. Saying that though, usually it only rains a couple of hours a day so not a big thing, can also have weeks where there is no rain at all during the rainy season

I totally agree with Mike, Bali is a great underrated dive destination. Tulamben is one of my favorite places to dive in Indonesia. Bali is an amazing place and I love the people there. I have taken my kids and they loved it as well. It is a fascinating place to visit with temples, volcanoes, the monkey forest and just beautiful views of terrace rice farms. I have never felt unsafe there and would highly recommend it.

I was in Lembeh last December and our weather was fantastic and the diving was phenomenal.

Back
Top Bottom