Suggestions for Benoa, Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to be in Benoa, Bali for only one day in early Mar 2015, so probably need to dive fairly close to Benoa. Are any of the dive sites in that area such as Nusa Dua, samur, Padang Bai, or the island just East of Benoa should do or don't waste your time dive sites. May only have this one day in Bali so do not want to waste it. Thanks in advance.

I would suggest a day trip to Nusa Penida or Lembongan as the quickest options. Sounds like you are coming in with a cruise ship? Any of the local operators can pick you at the jetty and organize a day trip for you. Padang Bai would also be an option as it's not that far, but Tulamben etc would be too far. Will depend on what time you need to be back on the ship.

Please let us know if you choose to got the Padang Bai or Tepekong way.
If you choose to dive in Penida, operators from Sanur or Nusa Dua have boats located close to Benoa.
Also, could you tell us about your dive experience so that we can recommend suitable dive sites?

Mike and GekodiveBali,
Thank you for your replies. Yes, we are coming into Benoa on a cruise ship, arriving 0700, departing 1800 with a tendered operation, so will probably have to be back at the tender dock by 1700. I have a little over 100 dives, 53 of which have been since 2010. My wife has 53 dives total, all since 2010. Most of our post-2010 dives have been in the Caribbean and some in Hawaii. We are "senior citizens", me with a few replacement joints, so not interested in getting smacked around in the surf or high seas, and generally like to stay above 90' unless necessary to see something special . We like reefs and wildlife, and enjoy diving, but our life does not revolve around having a regulator in the mouth. I hope this helps with recommendations for dive sites.

From the fitness level you describe, I'd suggest you try the dives sites out of Padang Bai; natural reef, artificial reef, wall dives, small fishing boat wreck, macro, shark, something for everyone really!

And I'm sure that Cedric above (gekodivebali) would be more than happy to arrange this for you too.

Happy, safe diving :D

From the fitness level you describe, I'd suggest you try the dives sites out of Padang Bai; natural reef, artificial reef, wall dives, small fishing boat wreck, macro, shark, something for everyone really!

And I'm sure that Cedric above (gekodivebali) would be more than happy to arrange this for you too.

Happy, safe diving :D

Thanks Divewench1. I will check with gekodivebali as you suggest. Just want to clarify the issue of fitness. My replacement parts have actually enhanced my fitness level because now the joints work as they are supposed to work, and from what I have seen diving in the Caribbean and Hawaii, I can keep up with most recreational divers regardless of age. Keeping up with DMs, instructors and high time divers as are commonly found on SB are another matter. So for me, fitness is not an issue--it is more a matter of what I don't like to deal with when diving. That is one of the nice things about being comfortable with oneself in old age--you don't have to do things you don't want to do just to show someone that you can do it.

I don't think age or fitness will be an issue to dive in Padangbai. Dive sites are a short boat ride from the dive centre. No tank or equipment to carry, it's all taken care of for you. If you have a special requirement, such as donning or doffing in the water, we can organise ourselves around your needs.

Cruise ships can be tricky with frequent late arrivals and delayed transfers.

Do send us an email and we'll get back to you asap.

Hope to dive with you soon!

Back
Top Bottom