Great diving and decent internet access?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreifish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm planning to spend some time diving in Indonesia later this year and need to have reliable internet access while I'm there.

So, open question: where can you get 3G or better internet access that has good diving? Internet should be sufficiently good for Skype video calls. As for the diving -- wide angle preferred, with an interest in soft corals and schooling fish. No liveaboards. Short boat rides to sites if possible :) -

Raja Ampat? -- probably not based on other threads I've read here
Labuan Bajo/Komodo -- how is the internet on the mainland resorts? What about the resorts closer to the dive sites?
Alor - ?
Banda Islands -- ?
N. Sulawesi/Bangka island - ?
Derawan & Sanggalaki - ?
Bali (Tulamben/Nusa Penida) - ?
Pulah Weh? - ?

Any other locations I'm missing?

Got this from Murex Resort on Bangka on April 12 ...

"We now have WiFi in our restaurant area in our resort in Bangka which is free to use for all our guests. The connections is over 3G and not always stable but I have been able to make Skype calls on it, with video on."

This should tick everything on your list ... WA, soft coral, schooling fish, Skype video.

In my experience, Internet is rarely fully reliable in Indonesia when you get out of the urban centres. A resort having wifi over 3G is unlikely to fit your requirement. Good 3G can be found, but speed often goes down in the evening when everyone is on the net. I would definitely look for a place where you can have both 3G and adsl... One can back the other up!
I do have a few places in mind. Welcomed to contact me if you want...

Got this from Murex Resort on Bangka on April 12 ...

"We now have WiFi in our restaurant area in our resort in Bangka which is free to use for all our guests. The connections is over 3G and not always stable but I have been able to make Skype calls on it, with video on."

This should tick everything on your list ... WA, soft coral, schooling fish, Skype video.

Hi Highdesert -- thanks for the info. Bangka island is very interesting to me as it would seem to check all the boxes, but I've also read that electricity is only available in the evenings/overnight? and a different dive resort there (Nomads) indicated that there is only 2g on the island. Is it possible to dive Bangka from the mainland Minado resorts? Would those be a safer bet in terms of internet access?

We had decent internet at Scuba Seraya!!! The diving there was also Great!!! Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom