GBR or Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
which would be a better dive site?
planning to do tulamben and also lembongan and maybe pangdai bai.

I had dived before bali and I am very happy over there... did quite a number of dives over there already, but was thinking of going to GBR, but would it be better than bali?

The best way to see the GBR is on a live-aboard to the northern part of the reef including Osprey Reef (sharks) and the Cod Hole. Personally I don't think day trips let you see the best parts of the GBR.

I'm off to Bali next week, Permuteran and Tulamben.

Pemuteran is North Bali, close to Lovina. Not quite as colourful as the rest of Bali underwater (apart from the Menjangan dive sites at Bali Barat National Park), but lots of regeneration with Bio-rock areas and 15+ dive sites and certainly a place you should visit whilst in Bali.

I recommend the guys at Reef Seen dive centre, where there is also an interesting turtle hatchery. Amanda and Adrian (and Chris the Boss( would be more than happy to arrange your dives/accommodation for you. Diving in north Bali | Reef Seen Divers' Resort

MA:
Go to bali - so you csn get a flight and dive komodo!!

my wife isn't that experience, so no komodo. this trip will be easy dives, therefore tulamben will be one of the dive site.

now i am thinking if i want to go to lembongan or go to pangdai bai to stay. which will be the 4th day to 6th day. 7th day will be resting + massage day. 8th day will be flight back to Singapore.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2014 at 11:00 PM ----------

Pemuteran is North Bali, close to Lovina. Not quite as colourful as the rest of Bali underwater (apart from the Menjangan dive sites at Bali Barat National Park), but lots of regeneration with Bio-rock areas and 15+ dive sites and certainly a place you should visit whilst in Bali.

I recommend the guys at Reef Seen dive centre, where there is also an interesting turtle hatchery. Amanda and Adrian (and Chris the Boss( would be more than happy to arrange your dives/accommodation for you. Diving in north Bali | Reef Seen Divers' Resort

thanks for the info. :)

i think i will give it a pass then. :)

I grew up in Cairns (Have done 3x LOBs on the GBR there also) and now live in Indo, diving Bali every couple of months.

Unless you can afford to do this or this, then you're better off doing Bali/Komodo etc... Day trips and/the short outer reef LOBs with ProDive won't have you seeing soft corals, schools of fish, larger pelagics.. They're all up north, as NautilusCairns mentions. Having said that, if you can afford to do the ribbon reef trips, do it now, while you can and while it's still there. I first dived the GBR in the late '90s and as recently as NYE this year... It's certainly not getting any better. See it while you can..

Reactions: MA
Where can I see school of fishes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are usually schooling Jacks over the wreck in Tulamben, or Sweetlips at Tepekong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom