Diving Indonesia 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yolig

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Everybody, im traveling to Indonesia next July, ill be there 3 weeks with my husband, honeymoon! Underwater honeymoon.. because we want to dive as much as possible. We are a little bit lost, cause we have seen hundreds of possibilities. so please help us to find the best, nicest and cheapest spots :wink:.
P.s I will be super happy if i can see a Mola mola.

Thanks a lot

Yoli

Very short notice, where are you flying to?
Have you any accomodation booked?
What levels of comfort etc are you looking for?
What are your experience levels?
The more info you tell everyone the betetr they can tailor their responses.

Bali is romantic exotic and has very good diving...esp the wreck of the Liberty (great night dive) btw the traditional Balinese wedding outfits are probably more beautiful than the western worlds gown and tux...if you want to do a Balinese ceremony. Ubud was great as were the temples and mountains. The diving was even better in Komodo.really awesome...those are the only places in Indonesia I have been..was there in September and it was hot and dry in Bali and downright arid in Komodo. Loved them both..people very nice...dollar goes pretty far..food and lodging can be outstanding. 3 weeks split between them would be great...currents can be an issue..esp Komodo..Divemasters we had really looked after you until you got hang of them .Bali wasnt an issue at Liberty but other sites have rep for tricky currents. I recall both places had mosquitos at night so bring some Deet. Lucky you ! Great place for a honeymoon imo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Im flying to Jakarta, we want to backpack for a while, so cheap accommodation is fine.. but we want also few days in a nce, luxurious place. But we really prefer to spend the money in diving but in accommodation. My husband is rescue diver, im biologist with many many dives.. but we have been out of the water for one year and a half.
we were looking info about raja ampat, but apparently end of july-early august is not the good season. so i think we will make some dives around bali, nusa penida? , Komodo, Gili Islands.. are those good places? do you know good dive centres there?

Im prepared for the mosquitos, now i live in Netherlands, but i come from Colombia.. so im used to them :wink:

and last question.. we read somewhere that is it possible to rent a boat to go to a desert island for 2 or 3 days, any ideas?

thanks again

Komodo is fantastic, so good I'm going back for a second trip after one last year. Nusa Penida has some good drift diving and the chance of mola-mola ( I was lucky to see one during the off season.)Also Manta's at Manta Point. If you like muck Tulamben is great. The Gillis are best for relaxing and topside fun, but worth some dives.

There are many islands in Komodo where you get dropped off for day of unbelievable snorkeling...you could extend that im sure...i stayed at Komodo dive resort sebayor...fantastic place but not cheap..an island by itself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lots of great places and resorts... Look at Two Fish Divers (Bunaken, Lembeh, and Bali), Kungkungan Bay Resort, Lembeh Resort, Maluku Divers Ambon (critters without crowds). Of course Raja 4Divers and Misool Eco (both Raja Ampat). Also some neat small places around Tulamben.

If its your honeymoon and you intend to do a bit of backpacking why not google cubadak private island - theres an overwater honeymoon bungalow and 6 other bungalows on the island and thats it. Diving is not world class but fairly interesting. The solitude and serenity is amazing and its suprisingly cheap - then go backpack Sumatra :)

There is also Maumere, on Flores. I was in a diving resort called Sea World and it was great. The location is really cool. The diving is not as stunning as Komodo (my favourite liveaboard ever) but very good, beautiful uw landscapes, water so clear and lots of critters, big stuff sometimes (some of my pics if you like). Every evening we went nightdiving alone on 'our' beach. Maumere is easy to reach by plane, but much less on land. You won't mind if you're used to backpacking, as I am. Warning, the road reaches up to 1200m so don't board a bus too early after diving. And you can climb Kelimutu en route !
I'm diving again in Indonesia this summer for 5 weeks, it's my fifth time there. Going back to Bunaken (♥♥&#9829:wink:, Lembeh (♥♥♥&#9829:wink: and Raja Ampat for the first time, most probably on Pulau Kri.

There is also Maumere, on Flores. I was in a diving resort called Sea World and it was great. The location is really cool. The diving is not as stunning as Komodo (my favourite liveaboard ever) but very good, beautiful uw landscapes, water so clear and lots of critters, big stuff sometimes (some of my pics if you like). Every evening we went nightdiving alone on 'our' beach. Maumere is easy to reach by plane, but much less on land. You won't mind if you're used to backpacking, as I am. Warning, the road reaches up to 1200m so don't board a bus too early after diving. And you can climb Kelimutu en route !
I'm diving again in Indonesia this summer for 5 weeks, it's my fifth time there. Going back to Bunaken (♥♥&#9829:wink:, Lembeh (♥♥♥&#9829:wink: and Raja Ampat for the first time, most probably on Pulau Kri.

umh... I am very surprised, we were in Maumere in the same resort last August ... we have diametrically opposed views of the resort and diving in the Maumere area..
the sea world club is absolutely expensive for what it offers, the bungalow is nice but full of big cockroaches, the restaurant was low-level and the diving shop, it seemed to ruin. the diving boat had a small bird's nest on top of it, the trash bin of the boat was full of Worms because they don't clean it everyday... The rental equipment was very old and dangerous, and we know why, in our five days there, we were the only divers in the sea world, in August!?! we had booked 5 full day of diving, but after the second day we canceled the package, they took us on reefs bombarded with dynamite(no fishes), and within 2 days we have heard very noisy underwater explosions. .. a real shame. in 7 years of diving in Indonesia, Maumere was the worst place I have ever visited! :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:
luckily we came from 10 days in alor, and after Maumere, we had 10 days LOB komodo .. after this holiday we nicknamed Maumere "mau-merd".... :D:D

Back
Top Bottom