Wicked Diving Komodo - anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove with them in Thailand (2012) and Komodo (2013), liveaboard in both cases.

The diving was good, especially in Komodo, the crew are good, the food was great in Thailand and so-so in Indonesia, The diving crew were very competent and safety-oriented (not a given in Indonesia...).

However, I found the accommodation on the fake-sailing ship very uncomfortable and not really pleasant: toilets were often dirty and clogged, impossible to sleep in cabins so all passengers crowded the deck at night. The six-day trip is in fact 2 three-day outings so you return to port (an lose half a day) in the middle of the trip.

All in all, a checkered experience....

Rene

Hey there, I work for Wicked Diving in Komodo,

The Jaya, one of our three Liveaboard options, is a two masted sailing schooner. She is quite a good sailing boat, but when running trips on a schedule, it's often not easy to find suitable winds. We can either sail or follow a schedule, but very rarely both.

Possibly following comments like those below, we re-did the cabins this year(2014), upgrading them, result the staff/crew area and made an additional toilet. We find that the sun deck gets crowded on the moonless nights...for star watching and those wanting to chat.

We do offer 3 and 6 day trips and and 6 trip is clearly labelled as combination of two three day trips. For the prices charged, for the amenities given and the quality offered, this is the most affordable option.

This year we have added a platform style Liveaboard that stays in the park the whole time, offers a flexible schedule and allows for the most affordable diving in Komodo. This boat offers en-suite and air-con cabins. Flexible Komodo Liveaboard - stay for one night or 10

Dove with them in Thailand (2012) and Komodo (2013), liveaboard in both cases.

The diving was good, especially in Komodo, the crew are good, the food was great in Thailand and so-so in Indonesia, The diving crew were very competent and safety-oriented (not a given in Indonesia...).

However, I found the accommodation on the fake-sailing ship very uncomfortable and not really pleasant: toilets were often dirty and clogged, impossible to sleep in cabins so all passengers crowded the deck at night. The six-day trip is in fact 2 three-day outings so you return to port (an lose half a day)

Rene

I am sorry, but calling the Jaya a "sailing schooner" is mendacious: the main boom has been nailed to the deck and cannot move, hence they only put up the sails for a phony photo-op for the guests... Wicked is prob, a tad cheaper than other liveaboards, so if you do not care about the amenities (there is no airco on board, so forget about sleeping in the cabins...), you can contemplate this choice...

Last summer we dived with Vovo / Bali Dive Cruise (| Duyung baru Sail Boat | luxus dive Liveaboard) and we loved it! Maximum guest on board are 6 and the food was the best we've had so far on a LOB (fresh bread every day, homemade sweets, etc.). As Vovo was one of the first to dive Komodo, he knows the region like the back of his hand. Which can be quite important with the fierce currents of Komodo. It is maybe a bit more expensive than other boats but we didn't regret to chose the Duyung Baru.

Chilli just wondering what you have ended up going with? I have been looking at Wicked too but I am afraid the reviews are a bit hit or miss as well...although I love that they have a shorter 3 day itinerary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom