Tips for a 1st trip to Bangka? Any must see dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephalopod2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm about to spend a week diving Bangka, my first time there - any suggestions for must see dive sites, or other tips?
Although I have two weeks in Lembeh following Bangka, I was particularly intrigued by posts about people seeing things in Bangka they didn't seen in Lembeh.
Staying with Murex since Blue Bay was full. 9th Indo trip :wink:
Many thanks.

Sauhong Pinacles :) - Ive stayed with Murex you will have a good time. Just watch the spot that has Padre something in its name - down currents can be a thrill there. Also stop at mega mall in manado and stock up on munchies, there is nowhere on bangka to get anything to eat other than what is served at meal times.

I almost forgot - has anyone actually seen a dugong in Bangka? Chances of seeing one extremely low I take it?
Thanks Wingy - writing that down to request.

I will be staying at Lembeh Resort later this month and thinking about a day trip to Bangka primarily to see Dugongs if that is possible. From what I understand they are not so easy to locate compared to the ones that live off the northern end of Palawan in the Philippines

That's a good thing, Murex have the most experienced dive guides on Bangka and from what I've seen in my 4 stays, less crowded boats.

For blue water diving, awesome soft coral and LOTS of fish, completely diffrent from Lembeh :
Sahaung 2, really a top class site, one of my favorite worldwide, you should try with a little current in the morning, so that you get 30m viz with the coral polyps open and colorful. Never seen anywhere else such topography, I would dive it every morning with my friend Aswar if there were no other guests.
If you dont mind strong currents ask Aswar or Johnny to bring you to Batu Pendita carpeted with red & orange dendronepthtyas. very much Komodo alike, plety of anthias fish, schools of fish passing by.
I like Batu Tiga also which is a nice combination of coral and macro in always great visibility, while current stays quite low.

Macro / small stuff :
Paradise pier is an awesome combination of environments pier+algae+shallow reef+volcanic hot springs.
Demak (3 minutes boatride from Murex) and Sabora 2 are fantastic for Pontohi and Severnsi pygmy seahorse (You may find 5/6 of them in one dive while that you will hardly spot in Lembeh).
There are plenty of macro sites where you will find the highlights that you find in Lembeh, such as Mimic, Wonderpus, hairy octopii, various rare nudis, harlequin and all sorts of shrimps, etc.

Ahh thank you Luko...Batu Pendita is the site I was thinking of when I had a down current thrill ride :)

Ahh thank you Luko...Batu Pendita is the site I was thinking of when I had a down current thrill ride :)
Ah OK, never had down current there, but really wild rides like highway curves between those granite pinnacle. Quite challengy to take photos !!!

Batu Pendita panorama by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

That's a good thing, Murex have the most experienced dive guides on Bangka and from what I've seen in my 4 stays, less crowded boats.

But the Murex boats are smaller than Blue Bay and Mimpi's and definitely look a lot older. I'd say Blue Bay has the best boats at the moment. And during my last trip the Murex boat was bursting at the seems with divers and it was just 3 of us on one of Blue Bay's big boats. So I suppose you have been pretty lucky at Murex Luko :wink:

Natasha I'm sure you will have a great time at Bangka.

Oh there is a dive spot in the bay where Blue bay is where you can spot the tiny and nearly impossible to photograph Lembeh Sea dragon. Other than this little critter the dive spot was pretty below average though.

Two weeks in Lembeh!!! Now I'm super jealous!

. So I suppose you have been pretty lucky at Murex Luko :wink:
I don't call luck 4 occurences in a row :wink:
It's true that Murex boats are not in their heydays and that Blue bay or even Mimpi Indah's look much better, but for the maximum of 20 minutes boatride it takes to get on the further sites, I still prefer to have en older boat almost for myself with the most experienced dive guides in the area.

Don't miss Paradise Pier for macro! Great night dive there! Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom