Seen a Melibe colemani or a Phyllodesmium rudmani? Know someone who has? Where??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephalopod2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A friend of a friend recently saw a Melibe colemani which rekindled my hopes that some time in my lifetime I may personally lay eyes on one of these beauties.

I am also about to embark on my 4th trip to Lembeh and I thought I read the Phyllodesmium rudmani was discovered there, but every time I put one on my wish list, the longstanding resort I dive with tells me they pretty much never see them.

So I thought I would ask if anyone here has seen either of these nudis in Indo, and if so, what dive area and diving with which company (and what year)? Please feel free to PM me if you prefer. I have info I can share as well if folks are interested.

I think that seeing either of these rare animals requires the right location and a seriously expert guide, along with some luck. I am specifically wondering if either are ever seen in Lembeh - maybe I should be making a different choice of dive op or guide if I really want to see one? I know some of the Lembeh resorts try to keep some of their finds secret (to try to prevent them being mobbed by photogs) - so perhaps there are higher chance places that people don't talk about?

Luko, I know you saw a phyllodesmium rudmani in Anilao. Was its location known to all the guides? I am specifically hoping for info on Indonesia.

Terima kasih banyak.

The colemani is quite often found in Komodo. I have not ever heard of it being found in Lembeh. Not sure about the rudmani

I saw several Phyllodesmium rudmani in Anilao. They're pretty common there.

March2-20_zps28ef08c5.jpg

Wisnu you are definitely over quota on the rudmani, save some for me ok :wink:. Where in Bali did you see it, if you remember? Anytime recently?

Mike many thanks re. the colemani not being seen in Lembeh. Most of the ones I have seen documented have been from South Komodo, with the exception of the original find in Malaysia and an image I found from Taiwan. Now that I have some time away from work I want to search more.

MaxBT - Anilao is still on my list!

have seen Phyllodesmium rudmani in Lembeh, ambon, maumere, komodo and Bali; but not for the Melibe colemani

Where in Bali did you see it, if you remember? Anytime recently?

Phyllodesmium rudmani Try Seraya Secrets at Tulamben, get a local guide and show a photo pre-dive.

Thanks divewench. I wish I'd thought to ask in Tulamben earlier. I've spent more than 3 weeks at Scuba Seraya since 2010 & and have thus dove Seraya Secrets many times, night and day. Last stay there was in 2013. I didn't know they could be seen there, though I have seen a lot of other terrific (less rare) nudis in the area. But I am not alone in thinking the density of life in Tulamben overall and in the Seraya house reef in particular has significantly declined since 2010. E.g. Seraya Secrets went from being 3 dives sites bursting with life in 2010 to one dive site in 2011. That's why I was asking about how long ago people saw these.

Phyllodesmium rudmani Try Seraya Secrets at Tulamben, get a local guide and show a photo pre-dive.

I think I saw it at Melasti - "new" muck dive site not far from scuba seraya. In my opinion, Melasti is better than seraya, at least for nudibranch variety

I agree with Wisnu Melasti has better nudi variety than Seraya secrets, that said I have not seen any rudmanis in Melasti.

In Anilao they are known to be resident on the central area of Secret Garden, that's where Dennis my dive guide showed me for instance Ph.Rudmani, Ph.Jakobsenae & C. Alleni .

In Lembeh, I know someone diving with Dive Lodge who spotted one, can't say which dive site though, maybe she'll jump in to advise.

Back
Top Bottom