Raja Ampat in August/September ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We were planning to dive at Sipadan, but the recent violence in that area made me change my mind.
Now we're thinking about Raja Ampat. So I have a few questions:
- how is the diving in August/September over there?
- what is the weather like ?
- big waves?

If you have the choice: what would be the best time to go there?

Thanks!
Rob

Hi Scubarobbie

Not dived in RA in Aug/Sept but i think the best time is Feb/Mar for weather, sea conditions, marine life sightings.
You'll likely have a better experience in Komodo during Aug/Sept if your travel dates are fixed

Hi Scubarobbie!

I go along with nudisusie, it would be better diving conditions around Komodo, Alor and North Sulawesi, if you're looking for a variety of dives which are similar to Raja Ampat have a look at some resorts and liveaboards around these areas and save Raja for next year! (the weather whould be nice too, however we can never guarantee the weather these days!!)

---------- Post added August 4th, 2014 at 04:22 PM ----------

Scuabrobbie, the MV Ambai has an offer starting on the 28th August for the 11 nights/12 days around Komodo, leaving from Bali, meaning you can even skip the internal flights (bonus!) check it out and see how it looks :cool2:

Thanks for the replies!

Komodo is a perfect suggestion: we did that 2 years ago. 10 days with the Indo Siren. Absolutely fantastic. But since we've done that, I need another backup plan :)
We decided to go for North Sulawesi. We've been there too some years ago, but my wife got ill during that trip, so we're redoing that trip!

And we've decided to go to Raja Ampat either oct/nov, or feb/mar.

Back
Top Bottom