komodo lob recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrcjdx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
my dive buddy and i can make indonesia in march - is that an ok time to dive komodo?

we are looking for a couple recommendations. he has dm cert +/- 1k dives i am rd cert 200 dives and counting.

luxury vessel is not desired.
low budget is not desired.

the fewer divers the better.

24 hour genset with ac preferred in a double cabin.

would rather giant stride off the boat as opposed to backroll off a tender, but not a deal breaker.

ean available each dive is a must.

anything come to mind?

rc

would rather giant stride off the boat as opposed to backroll off a tender, but not a deal breaker.

I could be wrong but I think all boats use tenders there. Big boats over dives sites are unpleasant at best.

ok thanks for the replies - helpful all. will start checking suggestions now, including maybe changing plan from komodo to raja ampat.

Still my favourite lob for komodo: | Duyung baru Sail Boat | luxus dive Liveaboard. Maximum 6 divers, (in my opinion) luxury boat for a good price and a very experienced owner who loves non-standard dives. I think it's worth to have a look at it!

Yes many of the boats are still in Raja Ampat in March. If you have no flexibility then do Raja Ampat which is also wonderful. The dingy were used for all of the RA dives when we went the there with Black Manta at Christmas. They are brilliant, far safer when picking you up and the backward roll is easy. They are also much safer when jumping in , the dingy captains can bring you to when the currents start etc.
We loved Black Manta and also Mermaid 2 which we went to Komodo on.

Best fishes. xx

Having just come back from a 10-day cruise of Komodo et al on board Mermaid I, I can thoroughly recommend them. Great boat, fantastic crew, great food and above all some of the best diving you'll ever see.
If you want something less expensive, they have Mermaid II doing a similar itinerary but over a week.

One big advantage with Mermaids Liveaboards over most others doing the Komodo trip is that they sail out of Benoa harbour in Bali. That means you do not have to take any internal flights. From Boston (as you are in New England), fly to Amsterdam by KLM and connect direct to a flight to Bali bypassing chaotic Jakarta. If you have time, you can do some land based diving and/or sightseeing in Bali before going to join the boat.

One big advantage with Mermaids Liveaboards over most others doing the Komodo trip is that they sail out of Benoa harbour in Bali. That means you do not have to take any internal flights.

Hmmm.... You avoid the internal flights (that's a definite good thing, IMHO), but doesn't the commute each way take quite a bit of time away from the diving in Komodo (a definite bad thing, IMHO)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom