Trip Report with Photos - Liberty Dive Resort at Tulamben, Bali, July 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeaDLocK

Registered
Reaction score
Did eleven dives with Liberty Dive Resort, who are up there on TripAdvisor's charts.

The long and short of it is that the resort is outstanding and they deserve their great reviews. Very well run, very clean and well kept, excellent facilities and rooms, superb service and friendliness from all staff. The only sort of downside is the quality of the food; it's edible, but not great. The Indonesian fare is generally better than the Western stuff though. In any case, the heart of town with lots of alternative dining options is a five minute walk away, so no biggie.

The dive operation is great. As it is with many operators in the area, I got my own dedicated dive guide and free nitrox. The diving was no limits - I could dive where I wanted, when I wanted, as long as I wanted (limited only by air), as often as I wanted. I dived the wreck twice (just because you "have to" - it is the main attraction in town), but I was here mainly for the muck action, and it did NOT disappoint. The sandy sites are FULL of things to see, and my guide is simply the best spotter I've ever had (without him, I'd be swimming around in circles).

After every dive it was straight into the ultra-clean and relatively large pool, wetsuit and all (GREAT way to rinse off!), with a plate of fresh watermelon and my choice of drink on the house. The most comfortable surface intervals ever!

Here are the critter pics I took on the trip (am a relative newbie to U/W photography, so take them for what they are):

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjZpmfe5

Very satisfied customer here!!!

PS - Ask for the guide "Wayan John". His English is less fluent than many of the other guides, so don't expect long conversations (I'm Malaysian so we could kind of converse in Malay), but his eyes are RAZOR sharp and he's very helpful, attentive and punctual.

DLock, newbie w/ the uw pics eh? Well, stick with it and soon I'll be able to leave my camera gear at home! :eyebrow:

Really nice shots and another solid write up for Liberty Dive. We're back there in November, thanks for the guide tip. // ww

We stayed there in June and ate at Liberty every night. I thought the food was great! We did order only the Indonesian dishes, which you acknowledged were the better choices, but I had absolutely no complaints. One night my wife suggested we might go out in town and try something different, but in the end we didn't. It was a new moon and I just wasn't excited about stumbling around in the dark. Especially since we already knew the food at the resort was both good and inexpensive.

Bruce

Currently at Liberty Dive Resort too, but for the hot showers that don't last too long and the turtle speed wifi, they are really great and at 65usd a night! Rooms are so clean and staff so friendly. Food is also pretty decent. I didn't dive with them though, I have been diving with Aquamarine Diving as part of my AOW (now all done - yay).

Did three dives, one super early in the morning and viz was superb, spotted 3 turtles amongst other things...did an afternoon dive, too many people in my opinion! And then a night dive that was thrilling! Spotted a giant moray, crab, watched a grouper devour a gold fish! Seeing the Liberty Wreck in a completely different way at night is amazing. Great 2 day trip...spent second day at Nusa Penida, Crystal Bay and Manta Point.

Tempted to do one last dive before I checkout today...

Those pictures are breath taking! If these are your newbie pics, I wonder what they'll look like when you have more experience!

The nature of my work means I need a reliable internet connection 24/7, so based on the mediocre reviews of LDR's WiFi I bought a prepaid SIM card with 5GB data with Telkomsel on arrival at the airport. Stuck the card in my mobile WiFi router and it works perfectly.

I can confirm that Telkomsel's 3G coverage in the LDR area (and I suspect in much of Tulamben village too, because LDR is at the very end of the village) is strong, and the performance is fine. I remember seeing a sustained 300kb/s download rate from a server in the USA when I was grabbing a file - not lightning quick, but very usable and a lot better than I expected for Indonesia! Browsing Facebook and Youtube etc is also fine. In fact, I never did log on to LDR's WiFi even once.

If internet is important to you, get a SIM card at the airport (and it's not expensive either). Just a public service announement. :)

Wow! Truly amazing shots. And thanks for posting! I'm heading to Bali in just a few weeks, will be there for three weeks, and will dive at Tulamben, Nusa Penida, and Menjangan Island. I've dived both Nusa Penida and Menjangan Island before, but had to skip Tulamben due to a poorly timed case of Bali Belly. So I'm really looking forward to it this time! We'll be there for four days, staying at Tulamben Wreck Divers, which also seems to get excellent reviews. We're going with the unlimited dives per day option, which includes a dive guide for as many dives as we want to do each day. Can't wait!

Thanks for sharing...just makes the anticipation all the sweeter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom