Nudibranchs in Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Raja Ampat this November on a 11-day liveaboard cruise on board the MSV Seahorse. 40 dives are scheduled on this combined northern and southern itinerary.

I love macro, in particular photographing nudibranchs and flatworms. Two of my favourites are Nembrotha cristata and Chelidonura varians. I saw quite a few of the former on a recent trip to Bali/Komodo but could ony find one single specimen of Chelidonura; unfortunately, my photos of that critter came out poorly due to expired bubbles from my buddy getting in the way.

How are the Raja Ampat sites for these and other macro critters? I am trying to build a nudibranch & flatworm album.

I am a nudilover too... :D

Raja Ampat is often overlooked for macro because there is so much fish & coral action, but many of the resort housereefs have LOTS of macro opportunity. The passage is also a very nice . I found that the nudibranch distribution was very different than the rest of Indonesia, for instance there were lots of Thecacera type of nudis, and uncommon hypselodoris seldom seen elsewhere.

If you like chelidonura types of nudis i'd suggest you book a trip in Sipalay and Dauin, Philippines/Negros island, never seen as many types as in these places.
For Nembrotha Cristata, check out Bangka/North Sulawesi, you won't shoot them anymore after 5 dives.

Everything is in RA in large numbers , you will see plenty.

Agree with Luko - so much big stuff to see it is difficult to focus/concentrate on the little stuff. We were in Raja Ampat for only a few days after spending 4 intensive macro days in Lembeh. From Misool, we headed to Banda Niera, then south to Alor and across to Flores. In those few days in RA, I did mostly wide angle as we were diving walls with lots of soft corals, fish, etc. The couple of times I did take macro (night dives), we did find quite a few nudis. They are there; you just have to spend time looking for them. Unfortunately, our boat ran guided dives making it difficult to linger, look, and shoot the small stuff.

Incidentally, I just found out that the nudi that I hope to see in Raja Ampat more than any other is NOT chelidonura varians but tambja morosa.

Don't recall whether I've seen tambja morosa in Raja Ampat or not, but loads of them typically in Lembeh...Police Pier, Nudi Falls and several sites on the Island side. You'll see plenty of nudis in RA though.

Incidentally, I just found out that the nudi that I hope to see in Raja Ampat more than any other is NOT chelidonura varians but tambja morosa.
Didn't come across a Tambja of any sort in R4, personally I have encountered some in the Philippines/Anilao/Moalboal and also Bali.

plenty of nudis in RA you just need to inform the guides thats what you are hoping to see and they should start pointing them out for you and go slow. nudis can be overlooked as the reefs are so "busy".

shame you didn't see tambja morosa in Komodo -I found quite a few at Boulders & Rhino Rocks in Nusa Kode region
IMG_9352.jpg

another excellent place for nudis is the Philippines Visayas - don't recall seeing tambjas there particularly but loads of nembrothas (cristata pictured below for you) and so many other species. Perhaps the place for you in 2015? -i'm heading back there next month and will post a trip report on SB I'll be sure in include the nudi species i find for you ;-)

nembrotha cristata.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom