New to Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russianspi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, and new to Bali. I just moved to Batubulan (just north of Denpasar) with my wife and kids (ages 2-7) a few weeks ago, and I want to start diving. I'm a student starting full time language study next week, but I have Wednesdays and weekends off. I have been certified almost 3 years, but haven't been able to do a ton of diving in that time. Post certification, I've done a couple of dives in northern Peru as well as a handful of shore dives in Southern California (Laguna/Long Beach). I've been diving maybe 3x in the past year, but I'd like to dive a a lot more often than that here.

I bought a set of gear in anticipation of moving here, and used it a couple of times in SoCal. At this point, I have everything basic but a tank. I'd love to do some diving here, but don't want to break the bank. I could do $50-100 for a day of diving maybe two or three times a year, but that's it. Is there some sort of local diving club I could join to avoid paying those prices to dive? Maybe I'm spoiled by $10 tank rentals and $5 fills for SoCal shore dives. If I'm going to spend significant sums of money, I'd rather do it on classes/certs than on just diving. But I want to dive for fun too.

Still...with a fairly flexible schedule, my own gear, my own land transportation, and a willingness to just fill up an empty spot on a boat or be a buddy for an odd numbered group, is there a way to dive on the cheap here? I should have my Kitas card in a month or so if that makes a difference. I'm not opposed to calling (or visiting) local diving outfits and asking the same question, but I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone knows which direction I might look first.

Matahari Dive Resort Tulamben do fills for 100,000RP. That is your total cost for the dive :). I am sure there are also many places that do tanks fills only and you don't have to go out on a boat.

You can hire a filled tank + weight belt for 50,000 RP directly from the porter girls in Tulamben.

You don't even need to carry the tanks, porters will be happy to bring them to you 20 meters from the entry point.

You can get discounts when hiring 2 or more tanks / pax same day.

Just check the o'rings & have some spares :)

Sounds great. Thanks UrbanJungle1966 and zivva. I'm hoping to take a couple of days in Tulamben with my family this weekend. Now I just need to find a dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom