Bangka/Lembeh solo in December/Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all! I'm hoping to have my first Indo trip soon, I've only been to the Caribbean so far. I have been reading as many threads on Bangka and Lembeh as I can but I still have a few questions, if you could help out that would be great!

I have some time that I can get away from Dec. 20 to about Jan. 5th and I would really like to do a week or so on Bangka and the remainder in Lembeh. I think adding Bunaken would be a little rushed so I've narrowed it down.

Murex on Bangka (seems like great reviews and best prices on the island that I've found) and probably Two Fish in Lembeh.
Are there any others with better pricing (remember, single surcharges apply!) and quality?

My first questions is, being a solo diver/traveler are there any unexpected expenses that I may end up dealing with? I know there is a surcharge for the room, that isn't hidden... If there aren't many people there or I am the only one who wants to go on a dive will they be less likely to take me to the best/farther away spots and just skimp? Or is Xmas super busy?

For booking flights, what sites do you use? I've been looking at Skyscanner, Kayak, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline... I read some bad reviews about skyscanner, anyone have experience buying from them? I want to fly from Chicago to Singapore and then right to Manado but these websites don't seem to sell Singapore Airlines tickets (it was recommended to me to fly with them....) and a lot of the flights have only 1-1.5 hour connections! Any advice?

I know it's not the best time to be in Indo, but I've read that N. Sulawesi doesn't get quite as wet during the rainy season. Does this hold true for anyone who has been there in Dec/Jan? I don't mind some rain......I'll be wet most of the day anyway. As long as there is no wind to make the seas rough and cancel diving....and as long as it doesn't rain all day long, every day.

Thank you if you only answer one of the questions or all......anything is appreciated!

Thanks! :)

No added expenses at all for a solo diver/traveller when I dived with Murex at Bangka. Cannot remember if that was the Jan trip or the Sept/Oct trip. Also have never incurred any extras as a single traveller on bunaken or lembeh with froggies.
I use skyscanner but I always cross reference everything - skyscanner btw does not pick up all airlines, especially some of the more obscure indonesian and south pacific ones. If the cheapest flight i find is on skyscanner I just go to that airlines website and book direct. Apparently this may be a problem with US credit cards but works with Aus ones. Wet in the tropics is really no big deal. Thailand yes, but Sulawesi in my experience no other than lembeh where you just get more trash. I always find coming up from a dive into warm tropical rain a very pleasant experience, but then again, i live in pretty much a desert :wink:.
When you book with Murex - and AFAIK two fish you will have a driver meet you at the airport. N. Sulawesi is a PITA to get around by vehicle of any form so just enjoy the long drive..the drivers know what they are doing.
For flights to manado out of singapore look at garudas website. Also check Silk air and I believe Lion Air is still flying that route. Two fish are a great op and have had many friends who have enjoyed them I personally just like the atmosphere at Froggies......and it suits my budget. Enjoy Bangka, its amazing.

I did your exact trip pretty much 3 years ago and have returned since, though I flew from uk to Singapore. I flew with Singapore airlines but it doesn't really matter who u fly with as long as you get to Singapore or Jakarta. From uk it's often cheaper to go Jakarta but for when I looked the price was similar. When I stayed in Jakarta I did an overnight the next day at FM7 hotel (cheap and decent), and then onto manado. However my prefered route is into Singapore and overnight there. It can be expensive to stay in Singapore so you can either stay at airport hotel or what I did was stay in a best western in city centre, though if solo maybe not worth heading into city. Then fly with silk air direct to manado. Good thing with silk air is that they are reliable, have decent flight times and give you extra 10 kg allowance for dive gear. Think I paid around £230 for silk air return. I used sky scanner to find my flights, usually pay around £500-600 for uk to Singapore flight. Around Xmas may cost more however.

Twofish is a great resort having been there twice. I have dives in dec and may and both were excellent. Even if u r the only diver there which is unlikely u can still do 4 dives a day if u wish. Outside of your dive package u will only pay for extra dives, soft drinks and tips. Matt and dani run the place very well and the guides are fantastic. It did rain more in dec when I was there but that was the best time to see octopus and frogfish, May was better for shrimps but maybe I just looked harder then second time as I had a more intricate critter list. None the less it is still hot and u will have some sunshine I'm sure.

Re Bangka I have not been but I have heard good reviews of murex and blue bay.

Enjoy asia diving, it's far superior to the Caribbean in terms of diversity.

About 3 years ago I did all three Bangka, Lembeh, and Bunaken. Bangka and Lembeh will get you what you might see in Bunaken so your making the correct choice. I would spend more time in Lembeh than at Bangka, also Murex almost likely camping, but you do get used to it after 2 or so days. Stock up on snacks before you go to the island there never is enough at dinner. (I really mean it!! buy food to hold you over) I would also bring booze makes the nights much more interesting if you passing the rum around with people that speak very broken english...

As for flights, find the cheapest way to SIN or KUL, and then fly to MDC (normally the next day) . I just noticed your from Milwaukee, WI. Best deal your going to to get is United ORD -> SIN, then take SilkAir to MDC the next morning.

Do some more research regarding the weather.
Lembeh is ok Dec/Jan , however Bangka & Bunaken area diving can be impacted by the weather during this time. One of the dive shops in Bangka normally closes at this time of year due to the weather (Lots if rain,wind & high seas).

Wow, that is a lot of excellent info! Thank you everyone!!! Murex is really like camping? Hm, as long as there is a mosquito net... :)

We just got back from Murex Bangka. Not camping. It's cottage style accommodations, clean, nice porches on every cabin, great views, and yes, mosquito nets around the beds if you need them. And plenty of food, dinner or otherwise. We were recommended to bring a bottle of liquor if we wanted, although beer and wine was readily available.

Murex is nowhere near like camping.....I guess if you demand aircon and flat screen tvs then you may classify it as almost camping. The cottages are actually quite gorgeous IMO...my only complaint was the ocean was too noisy one morning :D. I hope they dont start having 24/7 power and keep the wifi contained to the dining area. Its called being close to nature and living cleanly.......not 'camping'.....thats something I classify as what you do in a tent with a can opener and an open fire. Only thing i did find was the meals got a bit same same but hey, waterspinach isnt a bad vegetable at all. If you want 24/7 connectivity and aircon.......there are other options.

Last edited:
No aircon?? Or only while power is on? Truly sounds wonderful but i do need my aircon. :(

Back
Top Bottom