Lembeh Critters in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Lembeh at the end of September. What sort of critters are there at that time, and what is not there? I assume that they are always present, but certain ones may be seen more frequently at different times of year.

blue rings?
froggies?
Ornate ghost pipe fish?
mimics?
shrimps?
and... Oh please oh please

rhinopias

I've heard of Rhinopia sightings lately, and when I've been in Nov twice there has been plenty of Blue Rings, Mimics, Froggies, and Shrimp. I've always struck out on Harlequin shrimp there though despite my guide looking furiously. Last year in Nov there was three different sets of Ornate Ghost Pipes there. And last year I really hit the jackpot and there was a Hairy Octopus. I can hardly wait till my third trip in Nov:D
Lembeh 13-3 160.jpg

Hate to hear that about the harlequin shrimp. I love those. Although, the ones I saw in Komodo were prettier than Lembeh. I assume the Mandarins are always there.
What about saron shrimp? anyone every see one of those?

Having been to lembeh in both May and dec I have ticked off a lot of the critters but man I would love to see a hairy octo, maybe one day! Also the rhinopias but probably better luck heading to Ambon or Bali. Seems to be a lot in Padang bai area given peoples posts.

I think sept u will find blue rings though I think peak is dec-jan for mating. I went in dec and saw one then 2 weeks later people saw them on every dive. Rhinopias are few and far between in lembeh, small paddle flaps in deeper waters are sometimes seen. Mimics and wonderpus always a good shot to see one of them if not both.

Again Froggies year round but they do cycle like everything else. In both may and dec seen hairy, shaggy, painted, warty, giant, and in May sargassum and hispid.

Shrimps I think are all year but u need a good guide who is interested in them. Little green shrimp, hairy and algal shrimps they will find if u ask. Saron shrimp I spent 2 dives getting photos of one - highly recommend pintu kolada site in the rubble pile where mandarins are to find them. Bumblebee shrimps at madadir in the black sponges, harlequins they had both times at Serena.

Pipefish seems to cycle to most for me. Have never seen loads of ornates, more robusts, odd delicate and rough snout but still waiting in halimeda and velvets and hairy ghosts.

At the end of the day the guides will have a good idea what is around as everything cycles and the cycles move. Write a list like I did (60 critters mine was lol) and get ticking.

IAnd last year I really hit the jackpot and there was a Hairy Octopus. I can hardly wait till my third trip in Nov:D "

Great pic! I saw one in Bali (just near the Liberty) in January but it wouldn't sit still for a photo... Amazing creature - I thought the guide had lost his mind at first frantically gesturing at a piece of fluff.

our last trip to Lembeh was early August 2014; short trip 3 days only. we stayed at black sand dive retreat; nice resort, very personalized service.
No rhinopeas and was not lucky with blue ring (first time we missed blue ring in Lembeh)
here few shots taken by my daughter

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wisnupurwanto/sets/72157646627332132/

Back
Top Bottom