Where to dive in Bali after Tulamben!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cali_diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok need a little advice from our Bali experts here. We are staying in Tulamben at Villa Markisa for 10 days at the beginning of October, but the hubby wants MORE! We would like to add on some more days so we can dive more of Bali. I know that Nusa Lembongan is a must especially since we would really like to see a Mola Mola before we die, but where else is a don't miss in Bali. We are good divers that get to dive frequently, and are very used to the currents and complexities of Indonesia.

Scuba Seraya is also a neat place in Tulamben. I also recommend Two Fish Divers as they operate in Lembeh and Bunaken as well as Bali (Lembongan).

Hi Cali_divergirl! You could consider a safari and get to see few different spots or simply move south following the coast and you have some nice areas.
Try to see Padang Bai and Lembongan/Penida. I'm hearing good things about Gili Tepekong also but never been personally....

Enjoy!!

Hi,

In Bali I can recommend either Pemuteran or Padangbai, my preference being the latter as in Padangbai you have plenty to do between and after the dives. If you base yourself there you have a multitude of options for diving: either local dive spots (less than 5 min by boat) like the amazing jetty for macro; Gili Mimpang and Gili Tepekong as mentioned before are good dive sites, with loads of sharks; and the well known Nusa Penida famous for the Manta Point (cleaning station where you get to spend some quality time with mantas :) ) and Cystal Bay (for mola mola). It gives you a quick well-rounded offer for your diving.

Pemuteran is good, but you need to consider having a no-dive time before returning from there as you go through some high mountains (I might be too cautious here). I enjoyed the Mejangan Island but enjoyed the local dives more. I wouldn't go out of my way to return to Pemuteran though, specially because there is little to do between and after the dives, but others probably have different opinions.

If you want to read more:
Diving in Padangbai, Bali
Diving in Pemuteran, Bali

Hope this helps
Joao

You'll have a lot of options if you show up in Padangbai and shop around. Plenty of dive shops, plenty of destinations and a cute little village town :)

If you have 2 weeks or more, you can split into 3 locations, ie.
- Pemuteran/banyuwedang to cover Secret bay, menjangan and pemuteran
- Tulamben or amed or your curent booking resort to cover kubu, tulamben, seraya, amed
- Padang bai to cover bali south dive sites incl. gili biaha, padang bai and nusa penida
You might lost 1 or 2 dives on the transfer days.

Cadidasa, Padang Bai, Nusa Penida........... I have also heard that there is good diving in the northeast coast of Bali but don't know much about it.

Send a PM to Divewench1. She lived and worked as a divemaster in Bali for 5 years.

Personally I would say that apart from Tulamben, Padang Bai and Nusa Lembongan are really worth it.

I've been disappointed with Menjangan, nice corals but very few fish, whereas on the contrary Gili Tepekong or Gili Mimpang nearby Padang Bai are teeming with fish. There's nothing will find in Pemeuteran or Secret bay you won't find in Tulamben/Seraya/Melasti area

IMO Amed is not worth more than a day dive, esp at Japanese wreck and maybe Pyramids, I found some other dive areas like Jemeluk wall or Bunutan quite tame. You can dive these places from Tulamben.

In my mind, Nusa Penida needs to be dived from Nusa Lembongan because there are more interesting sites to cover than only Crystal bay and Manta point. Toyapakeh for instance is one of the best sites around Bali, you can't miss.

therefre if I had to pick 2 weeks in Bali I would do 7 days in Tulamben area covering Kubu (not so many dives but lots of coral fish unscared by divers) and Amed.
3-4 days in Padang Bai especially for the Jetty, which is simply amazing for weird critters, and the great Gili Tepekong/Gili Mimpang combo.
3-4 days on Nusa Lembongan to cover Nusa Penida dives, it's also convenient to finish for getting back morning at the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom