Where in Indonesia to tack on to a business trip in late October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doublea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be traveling solo on business to Yogyakarta, Indonesia at the end of October and I'd like to take advantage of being in Indonesia to do some diving. I'm flexible and could spend a few days up to a week.

I've been to Indonesia only once before and fit in 2 dives at Nusa Penida in Bali. I've been reading the forum but there seems like tons of great options, so thought I'd ask for some help for advice.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have any specific advice for you on where you should go diving but do hope you have already done so or will be taking advantage of your proximity to Borobudur.

Hi Doublea

Looks like it will be a good time to do some diving around Bali especially if you have only around a week to spare during you're trip, you're right, there are many fantastic places around Indonesia for diving but due to the amount of time you have I'd stick to Bali to avoid time on travelling. There's some awsome diving around Bali, Wrecks, lots of fish life (big and small) a bit of muck if you're into it..Bali Safari would be a good option to take a look at if you want to move around and see different places, they'll arrange everything for you including travel and accommodation. Otherwise if you just want to chill in one place, Villa Markisa miight be worth taking a look at!

I guess you know a little bit about the weather in the area at this time of the year, you could see a bit of rain as it's the start of the wet season, if it is raining, it doesn't tend to rain all day every day...and I guess if you're diving you don't mind a bit of extra water!

Hope this is of some help and let me know if you need further advice :snorkel2:

What's your diving experience? If you're up to it, I'd say go straight to Komodo. Late October is excellent, with a few showers starting. Diving is good then in both the North and the South. Some of the bigger boats will have left for Raja Ampat for the season, but there are plenty of local liveaboards, some of which will take you aboard for as few or as many days as you want.

Thanks for the quick responses folks!

I don't have any specific advice for you on where you should go diving but do hope you have already done so or will be taking advantage of your proximity to Borobudur.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Is Prambanan also worth visiting?

What's your diving experience? If you're up to it, I'd say go straight to Komodo. Late October is excellent, with a few showers starting. Diving is good then in both the North and the South. Some of the bigger boats will have left for Raja Ampat for the season, but there are plenty of local liveaboards, some of which will take you aboard for as few or as many days as you want.

I'm a Padi DM with ~200 dives. I had looked at Komodo prior to posting but stopped looking when I saw how far Labuan Bajo was from the National Park. Any advice on local LOBs to check out?

While visiting Indonesia, the path of least resistance works well. Bali is straightforward and offers very nice and accessible diving. You can catch daily flights to Bali. October is off season in Bali - my favorite time to visit Bali. For a few days to a week, visiting Bali makes the most sense to me.

FYI, in October, many liveaboards in Komodo are leaving for RA in crossing trips. Land based resorts in Komodo require long boat rides. Pick a local dive centre with care. In addition, the best LOB's are totally booked already for October.

Doublea, sorry I'm not able to advise you with regard to Prambanan. Perhaps I should look into it for myself. :)

as other said; Bali is the easiest to reach.
for komodo, you can consider SMY Mangguana - this board is always parking and moving in the park. You can choose how many days you want to stay there.
here our report http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/467690-komodo-smy-mangguana.html

Prambanan is also easy to get, either by public transporation or 30 - 40 minute by taxi.
The ramayana ballet schedule for OCTOBER 2014 (open theater) 2, 4, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 21, 23, 25, 28, 30 from 19:30 - 21:30 if wether permit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom