So Would You Go To Indonesia Now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a trip scheduled to go to Lembeh soon. All this stuff I hear and read about ISIS is not good. Indonesian authorities arrested some terrorists with connections too ISIS. Australia foiled a terror plot, and recommends restricted travel to Central Sulawesi. Lembeh is North Sulawesi, but still.

so what do you think about Indonesia? I've been there twice before and had no problems whatsoever. Never felt the least bit unsafe. All that's gong on over there now just has me a little concerned.

anyone over there right now?

I have a trip scheduled to go to Lembeh soon. All this stuff I hear and read about ISIS is not good. Indonesian authorities arrested some terrorists with connections too ISIS. Australia foiled a terror plot, and recommends restricted travel to Central Sulawesi. Lembeh is North Sulawesi, but still.

so what do you think about Indonesia? I've been there twice before and had no problems whatsoever. Never felt the least bit unsafe. All that's gong on over there now just has me a little concerned.

anyone over there right now?
You have to decide it yourself!
For some reasons Northern Sulawesi is a Christian strong hold in this predominantly Muslim country!!! But would that attract certain religion extremist then I do not know.

They seem to target Bali more, but hearing of arrests on Sulawesi is disturbing.

On the other hand, just diving and being at the resort doesn't really get you near public places that seem to be targets.

I live smack in the middle of Jakarta. Have for six years. If you were ok coming here before there is absolutely no reason to be afraid now. Arrest like you have recently read about happen regularly. I'm sure they are getting more attention back home as the politics of fear have certainly kicked up a notch lately.

Bottom line is this: you have an infinitely higher chance of getting hurt in a traffic accident on the road to Lembeh from Manado then you do by an Indonesian terrorist. That hasn't changed since you last came here either.

Enjoy your trip to Lembeh.

Last edited:
That makes me feel better. I usually think that way, but as it gets closer to the departure date, I just start thinking about it more.

Bottom line is this: you have an infinitely higher chance of getting hurt in a traffic accident on the road to Lembeh from Monado then you do by an Indonesian terrorist. That hasn't changed since you last came here either.

Enjoy your trip to Lembeh.

Or higher odds of wining the lottery, attacked by a shark, hit by lightning, the list goes on and on.
matts1W is so right, your more likely to get killed on the road to Lembeh, than a terrorist.

Just returned yesterday from a month in Indonesia, something like my 15th trip there. Last stop was Lembeh. Have never had any problem anywhere, on any trip, in Indonesia...I don't think you have any reason to worry.

Going to N. Sulawesi in two weeks, staying two weeks, then doing Bali for a week. I never would have thought of terrorists if I hadn't seen this thread. Based on past trips there ... still not thinking of terrorists.

I flew into Bali last night and will be flying to Makassar today then onwards to the west Papua region. The reconsider your need to travel warning has been in place for Sulawesi to West Papua for two years from the Aus Government...nothing has changed just the warnings have received more news time. Agree with everyone else re the roads in N. Sulawesi being more dangerous. Terrorists aren't going to achieve much "publicity" for their "cause" by taking out a LOB or a dive op with a dozen people there. The warning re west Papua has been inplace due to the Freeport mine more than terrorism.
As far as I can see the only difference here so far is the "mistakes" with your change are every transaction...from Circle K to the place I grabbed a bite to eat last night everyone has mistakenly given me change for a 10k note not a 50k note....gotta love Bali.
Really you could ask the same question about just about anywhere in the world..Ko Tao doesn't seem that safe and idyllic at the moment. Go enjoy your trip!.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom