indonesia from mid January to mid February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

budasub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello guys I think I'm in indonesia from mid January to mid February, as I am preparing a route, I would like some advice on what to do, I make pictures recently and I would focus on the macro (easiest for my beginning), but I really want to experiment with wide angle, up to now I'm looking at Raja Ampat, lembeh, Ambon and all tips are welcome thanks:confused:

Hi Budasub,
Lembeh is one of the best places in the world for macro photography, but there are also some nearby dive sites where you can do wide angle too.
Our on-site Photo Pro will also be able to assist if you need advice with your photography or if you'd like to try out a diopter lens or new light or other photo accessories.
We also offer day-trips to nearby Bangka which has beautiful coral scenery for wide angle, as well as the most Pontohi pygmy seahorses I've ever seen in one place!
Sei italiano/a? Qui si parla italiano :biggrin:
Se hai domande, ti prego di non esitare a contattarci.

Have a wonderful holiday wherever you decide to go!

Ciao budasub!
You're looking into the right places, considering the time of the year!! I guess now it depends on how much you want to focus on experimenting with wide angle..... Have you considered combining two locations? You said mid January to mid February, in a month you can have a good taste of few different places!!!
Buona vacanza dovunque tu decida!!!!

Ambon is great at that period, as well as Raja Ampat.

Mid Feb is a little early for North Sulawesi, I've stayed once in Lembeh in Feb and would rather postpone by a few weeks, since it was raining almost everyday, they had to cancel Bangka trips because of the Habagat winds. You'd be better off starting from March usually or stay on Bangka.
It's a pity because Bangka is world class for both macro and wide angle, you should stay ther at least 1 week. Sahaung is probably my favorite divespot worldwide, and like said above, i've never seen that many Pontohi and Severnsi seahorses anywhere.

If you're staying a month, you could consider coupling Ambon for 2 weeks, Raja Ampat for 1 week and N/Sulawesi (Bangka or Lembeh) 1 week. it's also a convenient and easy flight routing coming from Jakarta.

What about combo Lembeh and Weda Bay?

thanks to everyone for the tips, the program indicated by Luko does not seem bad, thanks, I will assess things and decide in the coming days, you know tell me cheap accommodation with diving in Raja Ampat ?I thought of staying in a private home and take a dive package with a diving center, do you know if this is possible?

I thought of staying in a private home and take a dive package with a diving center, do you know if this is possible?

That is also an option, you can find now some local losmen , they also offer diving but I've never dive with them and I'm not sure of the organization/ safety side of the diving with them.

I wanted to know if the diving center of the Raja Ampat Islands offer their services to people who do not stay with them?

I wanted to know if the diving center of the Raja Ampat Islands offer their services to people who do not stay with them?

Normally it shouldn't be a problem but consider that they'll give priority to the guests staying at the resort so it depends on how busy they are. My suggestion is, once you know were you're going and before booking your accommodation, get in touch with them and ask if it's an option or not.

Greetings Budasub,

Manado (and from there Bangka Island) is an easy stopover from/to Sorong airport with Garuda Airlines (daily) and Express Air (3x) flying non-stop. Bangka Island and it's surrounding dive sites offer plenty of macro subjects to keep you busy for weeks! Plus the reefs are covered in a kaleidoscope of colorful soft corals and sea fans, these dive sites are perfect to practice wide-angle. Murex Bangka is a small resort situated on a white sandy beach. With new dive boats, a casual atmosphere and international clientele it's a perfect place for divers to relax and look at photos after a great day of diving.

Wherever you choose to stay we hope you enjoy your time in Indonesia. It's a beautiful country with friendly people and AMAZING diving!

Back
Top Bottom